1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
350 K and still going
By dodgeman1996 on 06/03/12 18:57 PM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I have a 1996 ram 2500 2 wheel drive standard box. This truck was ordered with the old and reliable 318 8 cyl. gas engine. We use this in our business here in BC Canada. I haul a 20 foot flat bed trailer out of the mountains on Vancouver Island with up to 20 8 x 6 inch x 18 foot cants of red cedar. We just finished a 10,000 KM ( 6213 mile ) trip The engine used three liters of oil ( .79 gal ) of oil. Fuel economy was in the 20 mile per gallon range. I have never had a more reliable truck. We change the oil every 5000 KM ( 3000 ) and the transmission oil every 12 months. Regular maintance is all we have done and the truck just keep on going. Dodge builds a great product.

96 12valve cummins
By Anonymous on 12/08/10 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 LT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD LB

The truck has a lot or power it will pull anything very reliable sounds awesome. It gets ok fuel mileage

Would buy it again
By nadinemarie on 01/30/09 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

We used it as a work horse the first ten years, hauling furniture, sawdust, rocks and etc., but putting very few miles on it as used car for out of town trips. Then with only 20,000 miles and a dozen years old decided to put a camper on it's back. Performs beautifully with a 8.5 camper fully loaded. Makes hills with little effort, as much as diesels do, if we do not lose RPM behind a truck. Never had it in the repair garage until this year, other than normal maintenance. This year have to have A/C fan fixed. Averaging 12-14 mpg with camper.

V-10 Satisfaction
By Jason Halverson on 03/13/06 04:24 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Regular Cab LB

I'm very pleased with this truck. It does everything I ask and more. I would buy another one "No Problem". Not the best on gas though.

Awesome Diesel
By TomG on 01/27/06 23:50 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in 96 and have been extremely happy with it. The only real problems I've had have been related to rust after spending 6 long winters in Upstate NY where they use lots of salt. I have quite a bit of rust under the doors and had a fuel line and brake line rust through--not a good feeling having a 7,000 lb vehicle going down the road and finding I had no brakes. Fortunately, the high compression diesel slows you down quite a bit, and having a manual transmission helped too. I bought the truck for towing, but haven't done much (never got my boat), but when I have towed its as if there is nothing behind me--gobs of torque!

"RAM TOUGH"
By William Blewitt on 08/22/05 10:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

This is the best pickup I have ever had. It still looks good. It has never missed a beat in all these years. It gets about 17 mpg solo and about 9-10 mpg towing my light weight trailer. Don't tow anymore, but it is rated to haul a 13,500 trailer. It has heavy duty trailer towing pkg from the factory and "D" rated tires. Presently equipped with a 5th wheel hitch and has a factory installed class three hitch as well.

Dodge RAM, 4X4, Diesel, Extended Cab
By Jacob Skokan on 03/06/05 18:57 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

My 1996 Dodge RAM diesel pickup was an excellent choice for a full size, 4X4 vehicle. In 9 years (180,000 miles), I replaced a power steering pump (1 time), front brake pads (3 times), an alternator (1 time), a rear seal on the transfer case (1 time), a headlight housing (1 time), and 12 volt batteries twice (it takes two). It is a rugged truck that has required very few repairs over the years. Besides that, I have never paid for an oil change or lube job since I bought the truck in March of 1996. It came with a "Yellow Card" which includes oil changes plus labor (but not the cost of the oil filter).

My old relyable
By jerrialt on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good towing plenty of power looks good strong constitu.tion

Great Truck!
By Judi on 02/20/04 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 LT 2dr Regular Cab LB

This has been a fabulous vehicle. You may hear me coming a mile away, but that seems to keep pokies out of my path! Heavy, strong, and durable. I intend to keep this one for many years to come. My only problem is wearing out the brakes -- she's so heavy, it takes a lot of brake to slow her down.

The truck rocks!
By Jens2 on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

I've had nothing but great luck with my Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo-diesel! While lighter-duty trucks are rated at 14 city and 17 highway, I get 18/25 from the diesel, and it can tow large trailers and boats without breathing hard. It seats six with no trouble, and the two benchs are roomy enough that when it rained on us during a camping trip, we each stretched out on a bench seat for the night in comfort.