1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 ST Extended Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Sort Reviews by

A Good Truck, A Glorious Engine
By andrew_kaber08

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

My 1996 Ram 2500 with the Cummins 5.9L i6 turbo diesel is a great truck. What I've found, though, is that the engine is far better than the truck. The truck has only left me stranded once in 210,000 miles due to a broken clutch. The interior is a good design, but the dashboard is falling apart, knobs stop working, and the A/C is just awful. The engine, on the other hand, is bulletproof. I have never had a problem with the engine; tons of power and torque, and is surprisingly quick for a 2500 truck! This truck will get you from point A to point B every time, but not always in the best comfort. If I had the option, I would most definitely buy this truck again.

Favorite Features

Powerful engine, low-geared transmission, interior design.

Suggested Improvements

Interior quality.

Would buy it again
By nadinemarie

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

We used it as a work horse the first ten years, hauling furniture, sawdust, rocks and etc., but putting very few miles on it as used car for out of town trips. Then with only 20,000 miles and a dozen years old decided to put a camper on it's back. Performs beautifully with a 8.5 camper fully loaded. Makes hills with little effort, as much as diesels do, if we do not lose RPM behind a truck. Never had it in the repair garage until this year, other than normal maintenance. This year have to have A/C fan fixed. Averaging 12-14 mpg with camper.

Favorite Features

Best feature is cruise control. We set it at top of the hill and it reduces braking going downhill. Second favorite is great interior design and layout.

Suggested Improvements

Would be nice if it had a pyrometer installed as standard equipment to measure turbo temperature.

Awesome Diesel
By TomG

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in 96 and have been extremely happy with it. The only real problems I've had have been related to rust after spending 6 long winters in Upstate NY where they use lots of salt. I have quite a bit of rust under the doors and had a fuel line and brake line rust through--not a good feeling having a 7,000 lb vehicle going down the road and finding I had no brakes. Fortunately, the high compression diesel slows you down quite a bit, and having a manual transmission helped too. I bought the truck for towing, but haven't done much (never got my boat), but when I have towed its as if there is nothing behind me--gobs of torque!

Favorite Features

Cummins Diesel is a great engine. Lots of torque, easy to work on, and I've averaged about 19 mpg over 125,000 miles which is pretty darn good for a 3- 1/2 ton 4x4. I plan on keeping this truck for another 10 years!

Suggested Improvements

The doors should be assembled with putty filling the folds in the bottom of the doors. This would help prevent the rust. Also, the OEM Goodyear Wrangler tires were troublesome with side walls developing bulges. This happened on two sets.

"RAM TOUGH"
By William Blewitt

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

This is the best pickup I have ever had. It still looks good. It has never missed a beat in all these years. It gets about 17 mpg solo and about 9-10 mpg towing my light weight trailer. Don't tow anymore, but it is rated to haul a 13,500 trailer. It has heavy duty trailer towing pkg from the factory and "D" rated tires. Presently equipped with a 5th wheel hitch and has a factory installed class three hitch as well.

Favorite Features

Extended cab. 5 way adjustable driver's seat, good sound system, two color paint job, blue over silver, power - V10. Steering control is excellent, long wheel base makes a better ride.

Suggested Improvements

4 doors. better radio reception, in-cab extendable mirrors, load levelers, pro-active proximity warning alarm, lighter tailgate, factory fog lights, four wheel disc brakes.

Dodge RAM, 4X4, Diesel, Extended Cab
By Jacob Skokan

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

My 1996 Dodge RAM diesel pickup was an excellent choice for a full size, 4X4 vehicle. In 9 years (180,000 miles), I replaced a power steering pump (1 time), front brake pads (3 times), an alternator (1 time), a rear seal on the transfer case (1 time), a headlight housing (1 time), and 12 volt batteries twice (it takes two). It is a rugged truck that has required very few repairs over the years. Besides that, I have never paid for an oil change or lube job since I bought the truck in March of 1996. It came with a "Yellow Card" which includes oil changes plus labor (but not the cost of the oil filter).

Favorite Features

My truck stands "tall" so it is a pleasure to drive on the highway. One can see. The visibility is so much better than driving a smaller car. Also, the mileage for such a large vehicle is excellent. My best mileage was 25 mpg, and my worst was 14mpg. The average has been 17 to 18 mpg.

Suggested Improvements

An access port to the sender unit (fuel sender for diesel level in fuel tank) would be very helpful. Without a port thru the floorboard, one must drop the entire fuel tank to change the fuel sender.

My old relyable
By jerrialt

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good towing plenty of power looks good strong constitu.tion

Favorite Features

power power looks maintenance costs

Suggested Improvements

seats tougher fabric stearing wheel outer skin tougher

The truck rocks!
By Jens2

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

I've had nothing but great luck with my Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo-diesel! While lighter-duty trucks are rated at 14 city and 17 highway, I get 18/25 from the diesel, and it can tow large trailers and boats without breathing hard. It seats six with no trouble, and the two benchs are roomy enough that when it rained on us during a camping trip, we each stretched out on a bench seat for the night in comfort.

Favorite Features

The diesel can't be beat for mileage and turbo for when you need the extra power. Hit the gas, give it two seconds and it comes up with enough power to scare you. The 8-foot bed can carry a room full of furniture, too.

Suggested Improvements

Better stereo, more A/C vents or at least better placed would be nice, and the overdrive shutoff button put somewhere more convenient like on the Ford's shifter column.

Dodge/Cummins 2500
By Cruiser

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

The best truck I've ever owned. Except for the defective fuel gauge Dodge has been putting in their diesel trucks for the pst decade or so, this is an exceptional truck.

Suggested Improvements

Install fuel gauges (sending units) which don't fail on a regular basis. Since it's a known defect, the decent thing to do would be to replace ALL defective units regardless of warranty status (mine went out within a month of the warranty expiring).

I LOVE MY TRUCK
By Horsegal

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I love my truck. I just wish that when I wanted to buy a new one that they would offer the suicide doors again. Those 4 full doors are so geeky. For peets sake its a truck. I get pretty fair gas milage but it is a gas engine. I still get about 14 which is good. The mileage never changes when I haul the horse trailer either. I like that. The truck hardly gives when you hook it up.

Favorite Features

Stick shift. Running lights. People that move out of our way quickly.

Suggested Improvements

I would like a diesel but this suits me for now. I can see no improvements.

Dodge Ram: A good Bet
By DodgeTech

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Dodge Ram 2500 is a strong vehicle, designed clearly for work and comfort.

Favorite Features

Strong engine, 4x4 works better than most.

Suggested Improvements

Noted problems: steering gear malfunction/excessive wear problem. (was recalled) Difficult to service/ especially a DoItYourselfer will have troublerepairing most everything except an oil change.