1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 2500 model:
Would buy it again
By nadinemarie on 01/30/09 08:57 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

We used it as a work horse the first ten years, hauling furniture, sawdust, rocks and etc., but putting very few miles on it as used car for out of town trips. Then with only 20,000 miles and a dozen years old decided to put a camper on it's back. Performs beautifully with a 8.5 camper fully loaded. Makes hills with little effort, as much as diesels do, if we do not lose RPM behind a truck. Never had it in the repair garage until this year, other than normal maintenance. This year have to have A/C fan fixed. Averaging 12-14 mpg with camper.

Awesome Diesel
By TomG on 01/27/06 23:50 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought this truck new in 96 and have been extremely happy with it. The only real problems I've had have been related to rust after spending 6 long winters in Upstate NY where they use lots of salt. I have quite a bit of rust under the doors and had a fuel line and brake line rust through--not a good feeling having a 7,000 lb vehicle going down the road and finding I had no brakes. Fortunately, the high compression diesel slows you down quite a bit, and having a manual transmission helped too. I bought the truck for towing, but haven't done much (never got my boat), but when I have towed its as if there is nothing behind me--gobs of torque!

"RAM TOUGH"
By William Blewitt on 08/22/05 10:54 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab LB

This is the best pickup I have ever had. It still looks good. It has never missed a beat in all these years. It gets about 17 mpg solo and about 9-10 mpg towing my light weight trailer. Don't tow anymore, but it is rated to haul a 13,500 trailer. It has heavy duty trailer towing pkg from the factory and "D" rated tires. Presently equipped with a 5th wheel hitch and has a factory installed class three hitch as well.

Dodge RAM, 4X4, Diesel, Extended Cab
By Jacob Skokan on 03/06/05 18:57 PM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

My 1996 Dodge RAM diesel pickup was an excellent choice for a full size, 4X4 vehicle. In 9 years (180,000 miles), I replaced a power steering pump (1 time), front brake pads (3 times), an alternator (1 time), a rear seal on the transfer case (1 time), a headlight housing (1 time), and 12 volt batteries twice (it takes two). It is a rugged truck that has required very few repairs over the years. Besides that, I have never paid for an oil change or lube job since I bought the truck in March of 1996. It came with a "Yellow Card" which includes oil changes plus labor (but not the cost of the oil filter).

My old relyable
By jerrialt on 08/14/04 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

Good towing plenty of power looks good strong constitu.tion

The truck rocks!
By Jens2 on 09/19/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab LB

I've had nothing but great luck with my Dodge 2500 with the Cummins turbo-diesel! While lighter-duty trucks are rated at 14 city and 17 highway, I get 18/25 from the diesel, and it can tow large trailers and boats without breathing hard. It seats six with no trouble, and the two benchs are roomy enough that when it rained on us during a camping trip, we each stretched out on a bench seat for the night in comfort.

Dodge/Cummins 2500
By Cruiser on 07/30/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

The best truck I've ever owned. Except for the defective fuel gauge Dodge has been putting in their diesel trucks for the pst decade or so, this is an exceptional truck.

I LOVE MY TRUCK
By Horsegal on 04/13/03 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab Laramie SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

I love my truck. I just wish that when I wanted to buy a new one that they would offer the suicide doors again. Those 4 full doors are so geeky. For peets sake its a truck. I get pretty fair gas milage but it is a gas engine. I still get about 14 which is good. The mileage never changes when I haul the horse trailer either. I like that. The truck hardly gives when you hook it up.

Dodge Ram: A good Bet
By DodgeTech on 11/28/02 00:00 AM (PST)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

The Dodge Ram 2500 is a strong vehicle, designed clearly for work and comfort.

1996 Dodge truck/cummins
By rooster on 10/13/02 00:00 AM (PDT)

1996 Dodge Ram Pickup 2500 Extended Cab ST 2dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

The Cummins motor combined with this long wheel base provides a cadalac ride with 20 MPG fuel economy.