Used 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie Consumer Reviews - 30 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Been a great truck
By Ben

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I got my 09 laramie crew cab close to 5 years ago. it's the first truck I have owned so I can't compare to any other brand of truck first hand. but from the stand point of living with it for a little bit I have to say it has been a great vehicle. I got the truck in 2011 with about 29,000 miles on it, now it has about 128,000 miles on it and runs amazing for the mileage. here and there it has had it's issues, the pinions were bad on these years which made them recall them, mine didn't get it done in time and caused my differential to blow. was unfortunate but the dealer was great with repairs. the exhaust manifolds also cracked at around 85,000 miles, at first I thought was a isolated issue but turns out it's common for these trucks. also if you ever have to change the headlights it's a pain compared to older models. used to be just a couple of bolts and the housing came out, now the grill has to come out and a clip thats in the wheel well has to be pulled. other than those issues I have loved my ram. I have driven it from coast to coast and to Canada on multiple occasions and never got uncomfortable. the coil suspension has really given it a awesome ride. as far as fuel economy goes there is always room for improvement but it's a lot better than most of my friends trucks. I put a bullydog tuner on the truck for the fuel economy about a year ago. in town still sucks, roughly 13 mpg. but highway miles is awesome, I regularly get 23-25 mpg at 70 mph. as far as towing goes, the thing is a beast, I pull a boat that weighs about 8,500 pounds through the texas hill country every summer and it does it with out issue, I also once pulled a 6,000 pound trailer from Toronto to central texas, 27 straight hours at 70 miles an hour the whole way at it never overheated on my once. all in all the truck isn't perfect, but it has been reliable and never left me stranded, it pulls like a train, and sips fuel on the highway. I love this truck and plan to drive it till the wheels fall off. I would recommend ram to anyone who is looking for a truck.

What a truck
By Keith

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I told my wife when I hit 50 it was time to trade wife or truck. I got the 2009 1500 Laramie. I have installed a 3" lift kit and front in leveling kit with 285 Goodrich TA, chrome running boards, tonneau topper and cold air induction system. This truck will stop traffic with the looks. I have 16 year olds to 65 years tell me it is one of the most beautiful trucks they have every seen. The black paint with the gold flack really stands out. I had never owed a Dodge until now and man this is all the truck I ever wanted. Move over Ford and Chevy Dodge is headed your way.

interior and exterior looks

seat belt hangs on seats and rattles against center door post

Very Nice
By Hugh

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I replaced my 2001 Ram 1500 with the new 2009. No similarities at all. This was a huge leap forward for Dodge. The hemi is powerful and smooth. I am not a fan of the variable valve timing which saves on gas mileage by cutting out 4 cylinders when in low load situations. The only way to override this feature is to use the tow/haul setting which gives better shift points but it also won't let the transmission shift into 6th gear. I love the new look with the chrome package. This is a big truck and I recommend the side steps for easier entry and exit. Plenty of room inside with the new crew cab. The ride and handling while towing are excellent but power is lacking.

Design inside and out. Smooooth hemi. Tow package. 4 wheel disc brakes.

Option to disable the VVT. Brake pedal is too far left. Tow mirrors.

Best truck out there
By Jason

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

2009 SLT crew cab Hemi Bighorn. The '09 is a night and day difference from the previous generation; there is NO comparison. This truck rides like a Cadillac, and has more interior room to boot. With 390 horses on tap, you will surprise more than a few people off the line. This is the quietest vehicle I have ever been in, you can hardly hear the road noise. The seats are comfortable & supportive, there is loads of storage. The back seat area has 2 in-floor storage bins plus the ones under the rear seat. There are 5 cup holders. Thanks to MDS, the gas mileage is excellent for a full size truck. I get 13-16 city, 20-26 hwy @ 55 w/ cruise set, around 18 city/hwy combined.

Steering wheel audio controls, one touch down driver & passenger windows, power sliding window, 390 horses, rockin' factory stereo, bold front end styling, cavernous interior, power lumbar support, dual glove boxes, armrest storage, under seat storage, built in coolers, in-dash 110v power outlet.

The front seat cup holder tray should come out about an inch farther than it does, a typical large fast food cup will NOT fit securely because the cup holders come too close to the dash. The gas pedal needs to be moved about 3 inches farther to the left to avoid the drive line hump.

Best Truck Yet
By Mike7642

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck rides smooth on and off the road. In the driver seat you feel like you command the road. Its big, powerful and yet gets good highway mileage. Everyone who has ridden in my truck has nothing but compliments. The Laramie package is just awesome.

Driver ammenities are maxed out with this truck. Its a Cadillac in a trucks body. Dodge set the standard for driver comfort.

I cannot think of a single improvement.