Used 2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

09 ram 1500 4.7l trx4
By Pissed dodge owner

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Truck had no problems until it hit 80,000 miles. My radiator hoses gave way. 7000 miles after that my boyfriend who is a mechanic decided to run a compression test on the cylinders, to find my truck literally was limping on 2 cylinders. We were going to rebuild the motor but when we pulled the oil pan off we found huge shards of metal shavings (chunks) and that factory torqued Bolts were finger tight. Not for nothing but we had the truck maintained at the dealership from date of purchase in 09 every 3000 miles, on the dot. No reason this motor should've crapped out at 87000. Replaced the motor with an atk remanufactured motor $3000 dollars later (no labor we did it ourselves). Get the motor in, on test drive notices the rear end was whining. So, ordered a rear dif from Yukon, opened up the stock rear end to find nothing but broken pieces in the cover. Looked like a bag of change. The Yukon rear end is awesome now. Once replaced that I was driving to work to now notice an engine knock. Called atk (where I got motor) and was told "keep driving it, it'll go away". 200 miles later blows a rod through the oil pan . Pistons, crank, rings all internals in 2 cylinders grenaded. Long story short, check compression, if it's bad part ways.

4.7 quad cab ram 2009
By dratsram

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I like smaller trucks/cars. I stayed away from trucks bc I just thought of them as a gas hog. I am a bit of a power junky too. So if i was going to get a truck I wanted power too. I was looking at the Dodge 5.7hemi motor for it's power. I test drove a 2007 hemi and a 2010 4.7 and thought they were both the 5.7L until the salesman pointed it out to me. I got a deal on a 2009 4.7 dodge quad cab and love it. It can pull a loaded 16ft trailer tractor with ease( about 4000lbs). It can pull trailer and still get 15mpg. I'm gettting 24mpg highway and about 16 suburb driving. I drives like a car and is very comfortable.

power and ride

Manufacturer at Fault
By bat2son

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Good power, Comfortable ride. Does not have a cabin filter, contaminated fluid and faulty sway bar links will cause it to pull left or right. Recall on the heating and ventilation actuators; If not repaired causes non response from the windshield wipers, door locks, 4x4 selector, lights, and ventilation fan - Also causes the TCP to illuminate. Recall on the manifold for exhaust leak. Causes poor gas mileage, also piston knock when the engine is cold. leak could cause overheating or a blown piston.

5.7 hemi

Use better fluid and parts for assembly. Recall all trucks with actuator problems and exaust leaks.

not worth the money
By blondygrl

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Crew Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

We bought our 2009 with about 50,000 miles on it. Had nothing but issues from it since we bought it. Had it into the shop 7 times within a year to have different stuff fixed. For the price that this vehicle costs, there is absolutly no reason to have that many problems out of it.

Look, tons of power, very comfortable ride

Back their recalls

Solid Truck
By learhopper

2009 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Bought a Ram after owning all the other brands over the years. Test drove all brands and the solid, comfortable, quiet ride combined with the 100,000 mile transferable powertrain warranty swung my vote. Also got a lifetime powertrain warranty as long as I keep the truck, no other manufacturer offered that!! I've put over 40k miles on the truck now with no problems.

Solid feel on the road, very quiet ride, almost no wind or road noise. Stock stereo sounds great. Flex fuel capable. Looks great in black with black wheels and a Yakima roof rack.

Would like it if the truck sat higher off the ground, I get a lot of questions about it being 4x4 or not. Stronger headlights, by far the weakest lights I've ever driven with at night, borderline dangerous. ALL 4x4 trucks should be equipped with tow hooks, don't understand why it didn't come with them. Going with 4.7L engine was a mistake, it burns same amount of gas as the 5.7 and is poor at towing, has to downshift to climb slight rises on the highway. Resale value has been disappointing as well, went to my dealer to see about trading it in and was quickly back in my truck headed home shaking my head in disgust.

• SUV