Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Good Buy
By Tim

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this basic truck two months ago. Have enjoyed driving it for this short period of time. Wanted a big truck with all of the amenities that came with it, got exactly what I wanted for a great price!

Favorite Features

Big truck ride with plenty of power to spare!

Suggested Improvements

At this point and time nothing comes to mind!

2008 Ram 1500 4X4 Lonestar Edition
By Broman

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I owned a 2002 Ram 1500 4X4 SLT before and loved it. The 2008 road much smoother, had more power and with the MDS, got better gas mileage. I love the truck, I love driving in the New England snow...and it has been a bad year for snow this winter. Can't wait to get it out on the sandy beaches. The gas mileage has held true, if I keep my foot off the accelerator. It's hard, because it is too much fun. It wants to break loose on the salted/sanded roads...so you have to take it easy. It turns a lot of heads too. I get a lot of looks and comments.

Favorite Features

POWER!!! The Hemi has plenty. The riding height on the 4X4 with 20" wheels gives a great view of the road and traffic. My wife doesn't like climbing up (she short), but I don't want stepbars on it. I also LOVE the exhaust sound when you decide to open up the throttle, like entering the highway.

Suggested Improvements

Small stuff, like built in hands free phone. A interior LED light so you can find the coffee cup holders in early dark mornings. Maybe a light for the MDS, so you know when the engine is running with half the cylinders.

You get what you pay for
By tom

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

First vehicle I ever bought. Family has always owned Dodge with no problems. I have owned the vehicle for 7 mo and has been in the shop 7 times (mainly due to unreliable technicians). I have a squeek in the dash and passanger door that just wont go away. Recenly the bed of the pickup is offset from the passanger compartment. Also, after 2 hrs of driving the MDS doesn't know what to do (vehicle is constantly surging with the flucuating RPM's).

Favorite Features

Lifetime Warranty, hemi power, the harder seats (I hate when the seats are too soft).

Suggested Improvements

Improve the dash

MDS Stinks
By Nate

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the 5th Ram I have owned and I hate it. I gave up my '05 for the '08 because I heard so much about the Multi Displacement System and how much better the fuel mileage would be. The mileage is worse than any of my previous Rams with the old 360. The rpm's constantly go up and down while cruising down the road due to the MDS constantly activating and deactivating. Every time I call a dealer and tell of the problem, they always say something is definitely wrong with it, but then after they waste several hours of my time, they say the computer doesn't show anything wrong so everything must be normal. The seats also stink compared to the '05.

Favorite Features

The lease is the thing I like the most, because when it's up I can give the piece of junk back.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the MDS, go to 17" wheels, the 20's ride bad, softer seats would help.

Ram tough
By Cavegunner

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Get truck so far, I love the feel, very comfortable ride with plenty of power in the pedal. Around town gas mileage so far is between 15.5 & 16.4 but I keep my foot out of it too. The 310HP V8 is really nice to have when you need to get out into traffic in a hurry, general set up/layout of the interior is good, exterior goes without saying! Awesome. Hope this review helps, so far the best truck I have every owned and I have had them all in the past.

Favorite Features

V8, power sliding window, exterior appearance.

Suggested Improvements

More leg room in the Quad cab, spray in bed liner option from the dealer, performance package from the dealer or upgrade listing.