Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

MDS Stinks
By Nate

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is the 5th Ram I have owned and I hate it. I gave up my '05 for the '08 because I heard so much about the Multi Displacement System and how much better the fuel mileage would be. The mileage is worse than any of my previous Rams with the old 360. The rpm's constantly go up and down while cruising down the road due to the MDS constantly activating and deactivating. Every time I call a dealer and tell of the problem, they always say something is definitely wrong with it, but then after they waste several hours of my time, they say the computer doesn't show anything wrong so everything must be normal. The seats also stink compared to the '05.

Favorite Features

The lease is the thing I like the most, because when it's up I can give the piece of junk back.

Suggested Improvements

Get rid of the MDS, go to 17" wheels, the 20's ride bad, softer seats would help.

20,000 mile update
By stgcret

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Well guys & gals, I'm at 21,020 miles and my bighorn 4.7 seems to be getting used to me. The drivers seat seems just a bit more comfortable (with a small tube pillow behind my lower back). I only need it on a long drive. Have not had a single problem so far. When I get my 6th and last free oil change from the dealer (at 25,000 miles), I will go with castrol syntec oil. One thing that I still don't like is the severe depreciation of the model. The sticker on mine was $36,200 and I got it for $22,100 with 1.6 miles on it. Like I read earlier, I feel sorry for the one whom pail close to sticker.

Favorite Features

The room, the room, the room for my fat keester. The step up is nice also.

Suggested Improvements

Have the shifter available on the floor like the Laramie has. I'd pay the difference.

08 Ram 1500 Grill problems
By ram_boy

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hi All, I have owned this truck for only a few days but in the first 100 kms the plastic grill fell apart. It was obviously broken and mended to look good by the previous owner and the dealer has stated they will help me fix the problem (Nissan). The plastic struts appear to be a weak point for the exterior of this vehicle. Has anybody else had problems? Solutions? Thanks JRM

Favorite Features

Ride, Steering, hemi 5.7 litre, towing ability.

Suggested Improvements

plastic grill braeks easily and looks ugly, interior needed update. Running boards should be standard.

2008 Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie Quad Cab
By jws298

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Firstly, I looked at many different trucks prior to purchasing my Ram and settled on it as a compromise. After 10 months of ownership I found that I compromised a little too much regarding overall build quality. However, this truck did everything relatively well that I asked it to. It is a blast to drive with 5.7 Hemi option and very well optioned for the price. The biggest issue I noticed was it scratched and dented extremely easily which poses a major challenge when utilizing a truck for its intended use.

Favorite Features

Reasonably priced, Great braking, great engine performance, on demand 4x4, Leather interior was durable, very sharp truck black with the chrome package, tows extremely well, decent gas mileage for a larger engine and a full sized truck, the 34 gallon tank was also a plus. Our Local Dodge dealership was actually relatively easy to get along with and was accommodating when they needed to be with minimal persuasion.

Suggested Improvements

Body panels dented really easily, the rear end had to be rebuilt around 42,000 miles (I didn't do any heavy towing) luckily I bought an extended Chrysler warranty otherwise my review wouldn't be as friendly. Invest in top of the bed rails and anything else you can to protect the body. I'd add a rear camera or sensors, power passenger seat, and digital climate control.

A Crash experience
By ejbarney

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I am the former owner of a 2008 Dodge Ram with quad cab and a camper shell, and hemi engine. My truck was loaded with all my belongings when I pulled in to the parking lot of a Courtyard Marriot in Lebanon, New Hampshire, close to Dartmouth Hitchcock Medical Facility. As I eased into a parking space, my foot slipped from brake to accelerator and suddenly I was roaring through a wrought iron fence and flying through the air, down a 100 ft. cliff. I was securely buckled in. I landed on all four wheels and never moved from the comfort of the drivers seat. The engine was still running. The truck is totaled but it is a testament to Dodge that this is one very very tough truck.

Favorite Features

I am alive with only a few bumps and bruises and a small cut on my scalp. It was an absolute miracle and I want others to know about this amazing vehicle, There is nothing stronger.