Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2008 Dodge Ram-pickup-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Given way more credit than it deserves
By First Pick Up

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought the Dodge during a 50% off sale...Stickered $31K, paid $15K. Within the first 1K miles, I had the gas tank replaced because it sprayed gas out of the filler neck when filling up. At 2K miles, the Wipers went on it. They replaced a WCM module. I'm at roughly 10K miles and no other problems other than some rattles. My biggest complaint, driving on wet roads is like driving on ice. Even when I take it easy, the rear tires (Goodyear HP's) break free on wet pavement VERY easily. The 5.7 Hemi is not very smooth or refined, I expected better from such a hyped-up engine. I can't see me buying another Dodge ever again.

Favorite Features

Great price when discounted 50% but that's about all they're worth. Used one's are pretty cheap too. I feel sorry for anyone that paid anywhere near sticker for one. Good thing it came with a lifetime power train warranty. Looks pretty good. Powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the 2009+ are better then the previous model years. Cheap plastic materials. Problem prone. Poor resale values. 20" Chrome wheels are just thick plastic wheel covers!

Got A Hemi!
By ratchet1

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Wanted reg cab w/SB and Hemi for towing and drove a new 2009 with the improved 4.7 and drove the last 2008 with a 5.7 Hemi. The 2009 was smoother over bumps but didn't measure up to the Hemi when stepping on the gas. I was trading in a 2006 Quad Cab Dakota Sport w/4.7. Bed was too short. Both trucks could turn on a dime! The 4.7 will haul once it gets going but the Hemi got it hands down. It has 20" wheels which I didn't want with the 302 Rear but that combo gives me 1100 lbs tow capacity.

Favorite Features

Hemi, tight turning radius, Sirius radio, heavy duty cooling package

Suggested Improvements

Ugly gray interior color (09 changed) Drink holders in doors (09 changed) guages that have actual numbers like GM does instead of low-high

Good job on the New Ram
By Nice Job Dodge

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I just bought my 08 Ram 4.7 Reg Cab after all owning a GMC crew cab. I have to say this is a great truck. It was nice to see a small V8 have awesome power. Dodge took the 4.7 up to 310HP and in a reg cab with 20's and a five speed Auto this truck can get. The funny thing is I did not know the HP was that nor did my salesman or the dealership. I found it online afterword here in Edmunds. So listen up Dodge you need to Advertise the new power and help out your sales. If you are looking for a new truck but do not want to break the bank. Go buy a new Ram 4.7 with 310HP. I got mine for less than $21000 loaded. It is a great truck and a blast to drive. Get a flowmaster and intake and it comes alive.

Favorite Features

The new 310HP motor. I love all the room behind the seats after getting rid of my 06 GMC Crew lifted 35". This truck is so much more fun to drive.

Suggested Improvements

Update the inside dash ect. It has a great heavy tailgate but it needs to be spring loaded like the Toyota.