Used 2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

BAD TRUCK
By dyet

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

In 2009 I bought a 2008 Ram 1500 3.6L with 9k miles. The truck has been used for transportation only, no hauling or towing, it now has 53K miles. I had to replace the power steering pump $450 and now need a new transmission $1800. Buyer beware, the unlimited powertrain warranty does not transfer. I will not buy another Dodge product. Expensive lesson learned.

Given way more credit than it deserves
By First Pick Up

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab SLT 2dr Regular Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought the Dodge during a 50% off sale...Stickered $31K, paid $15K. Within the first 1K miles, I had the gas tank replaced because it sprayed gas out of the filler neck when filling up. At 2K miles, the Wipers went on it. They replaced a WCM module. I'm at roughly 10K miles and no other problems other than some rattles. My biggest complaint, driving on wet roads is like driving on ice. Even when I take it easy, the rear tires (Goodyear HP's) break free on wet pavement VERY easily. The 5.7 Hemi is not very smooth or refined, I expected better from such a hyped-up engine. I can't see me buying another Dodge ever again.

Favorite Features

Great price when discounted 50% but that's about all they're worth. Used one's are pretty cheap too. I feel sorry for anyone that paid anywhere near sticker for one. Good thing it came with a lifetime power train warranty. Looks pretty good. Powerful.

Suggested Improvements

Hopefully the 2009+ are better then the previous model years. Cheap plastic materials. Problem prone. Poor resale values. 20" Chrome wheels are just thick plastic wheel covers!

Not bad... for the money
By Bobby M

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Picked up a 6 cyl. Reg Cab for only $13,500. Have already had a few issues with it, spitting up gas when filling up and shaking between 60-65mph. The shaking has all but gone away on it's own, the spitting up gas was fixed by the dealer replacing the entire gas tank. Overall, not a bad truck. It gets terrible gas mileage but you know that going into it. It also rides a little rough but that's just a truck I guess. Also, if power is important to you, don't get the 6 cyl. engine. It's ok just cruising around, but sometimes lack power when going uphill or when passing.

Favorite Features

I think the truck itself is beautiful - I love the exterior. It seems to ride smoother once it's broken in.

Suggested Improvements

The interior could be a little nicer, maybe less plastic everywhere. The 6 cyl. engine is a little weak, probably not for those who do a lot of hauling.

Weak power, goes into pass gear on hills
By Mac

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Truck seems to drive fine however while cruising on the highway in slighly hilly area, the truck goes back into a passing gear as if it is stuggling for power. Louisiana is relatively flat land at that. Perhaps something is wrong with the transmission? Been like that since it was new.

Favorite Features

Size and looks

Suggested Improvements

improvements to the drive tran seems to go into passing gear even on slight inclines

Good Buy
By Tim

2008 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab ST 2dr Regular Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought this basic truck two months ago. Have enjoyed driving it for this short period of time. Wanted a big truck with all of the amenities that came with it, got exactly what I wanted for a great price!

Favorite Features

Big truck ride with plenty of power to spare!

Suggested Improvements

At this point and time nothing comes to mind!