Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

By Tony

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased in California late 2007, switched from a regular cab 1500 to the mega cab 1500. All my cars have been Dodge for the last 15 years. I'm impressed with almost every aspect of the vehicle except the ride and gas mileage. Took the family of six to Disneyland and the ride was almost unbearable going over the Altamont. Felt like we were in some sort of shaking machine. Can't imagine what this is doing to the truck. This truck is not a smooth ride unless the highway is perfect. Also I average about 10-11 mpg in the city and 13-15 on the highway. But I expected this knowing the vehicle type I was buying. I'm deciding if the ride is enough of an issue to cause me to get another vehicle.

Roomy interior, I commute 2 hours a day with 3 large adults and they love the roominess. I like the finger touch controls on the steering wheel. I consider it a safety feature....

Should provide a nerf bar with the purchase, the truck has a high profile and shorter people have issues with stepping in and out. Rough ride, maybe this is how its suppose to be?

2nd Dodge, getting another
By JRod05

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

This is my 2nd Dodge truck. I had a 98 Dakota that was a great truck thru 85,000 miles when I sold it. I leased a 06 Ram after a fight with Ford over a lemoned F-150. I'm wrapping up my 2 year lease with my current Ram and wanted to express my feelings. I've had 1 issue with this truck, warped rotors. That is. No interior squeaks, no mechanical issues, nothing. It's been flawless and I'm actually in the process of buying a 08 right now.

Dodge can design wheels. The 20's are great! The HEMI performance. Overall stance of the truck. The bench seats have an enormous amount of storage.

Better bench seats. They are fairly narrow and easily stained. The stock Goodyear tires are horrible! They are poor on wet pavement. My 08 will get wrapped in something else.

3rd Ram truck in 6 years
By Bluez

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have had a 2002, 2004 & now the 2006 Ram 1500 which I have been driving for 1 year. I had no problems with the first two but the 2006 from the moment off the lot with under 10 miles on it the wheel shakes bad at all different speeds not just over 60 miles. It has been in the shop a dozen times and they have replaced the front struts,several wheel alinments & balance the tires. Still have the problem and it's been a year. Now the front shocks make a terrible sound when driving on even payment but they have order new ones under warranty. I really enjoyed the 2004 but this one is a lemon and I'm switching to GM in two years when te lease is up.

Interior size, towing capacity, looks, height of vehicle

Solve the front end problem and gas mileage

Better trucks out there
By bobwest

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Many problems with this pickup, so far dealer has been good about fixing them. 4-door quad cab not much more than an extended cab with 4-doors. Get mega cab if you really intend to have adults in the back seat.

Not sure there are any

Better paint job, premium cloth seats stain easily and hard to clean, rear bumper had rust in first 1000 miles, rear window would not go up or down in first 3000 miles, shifted into 4-wheel drive on it's own one time. Dealer has fixed all but spend too much time in the shop.

Great Truck
By Maer

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this truck for a little over a year. Great. I'm 5'3" female, this truck handles beautifully. The back seat has plenty of room for full size adults, plus the seats recline and they fold down flat, unlike every other 4-door truck I looked at where the back seat bottoms folded up. Also like the hidden storage behind the back seat. Haven't had any trouble with my A/C. MPG 15 HWY and 12-13 in town. Do not like the fact that when I open the driver's door from the inside all the doors unlock (personal safety issue). Also wish the radio still played/windows rolled up/down after the key was turned off and radio went back to low volume after shut off/restart (my crappy Ford did that).

Hemi power, handling, interior room, fold flat seats, info console, being high enough to see around all the minivans!

Bigger/taller std mirrors, door lock issue, lighted cruise buttons on the steering wheel would be nice in the dark. Flip the Speedo with the RPM gauge - minor things.