Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Mega Cab
By Gavin

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is great to put my 3 car seats in. Tons of room. Gas mileage w/4:10 gears 11.5-12.3 city, highway @75 13-15.5 mostly 13 though. I took a trip drove 75-80 got 12.8. Towing, the power is there the mileage is horrible pulled about 2000lbs got 9.3 towing mostly up hill. ON the way back got 10.9 mostly@75 both ways . But over all I really love the truck. Things seem to be holding up very well. I got the Laramie w/dvd&nav those are great features. The kids love it. This truck does not have the performance/mileage but more room and handles loads better than the 04 I used to have but it does o.k. I wish this was a diesel but it is a good truck and people in the back are compfortable.

THE ROOM IS NUMBER ONE, the way it handle loads, quietness the kids can't kick or push on my seat. That is huge. They always did that in my 04, drove me crazy. My wifes favorite features is the powerpedals and the powerseat. I also love all the storage space you can't beat it. Backseat AC/heat vents

I hate the cup holders. The fold down ones in my 04 were so much better. You could fit any drink in those. The gas mileage is the worst about the truck, its expensive to drive, Sometimes driving around on the freeway the gearing isn't right where I would like it to be. I really want a diesel.

One Strong Performer
By H. F. Espinoza

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hands down the most powerful truck I've ever owned. This truck is a top performer with the carrying and pulling capacity of a deisel. Pulls a trailer full of quads, loaded down with minimal effort. You'd hardly know you were pulling a trailer if were not for the rearview mirrors. Never owned a Dodge before this one. Mega Cab has the most spacious rear seat, great for long hauls. Mega cab styling is a head turner and powerful hemi an added bonus. I purchased this truck for my wife who has always driven SUV's. She wanted it for the long trips to Baja and the Grand Mesa in Colorado. I wanted it for pulling five full size quads plus trailer. Fuel economy? Minimal but acceptable. Santa Ana, Ca.

5.7ltr. Hemi. Power to spare. Spacious cabin. Ground clearance is good.

Fuel economy is the only drawback. If fuel economy is a major concern then this truck is not for you.

By Tony

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased in California late 2007, switched from a regular cab 1500 to the mega cab 1500. All my cars have been Dodge for the last 15 years. I'm impressed with almost every aspect of the vehicle except the ride and gas mileage. Took the family of six to Disneyland and the ride was almost unbearable going over the Altamont. Felt like we were in some sort of shaking machine. Can't imagine what this is doing to the truck. This truck is not a smooth ride unless the highway is perfect. Also I average about 10-11 mpg in the city and 13-15 on the highway. But I expected this knowing the vehicle type I was buying. I'm deciding if the ride is enough of an issue to cause me to get another vehicle.

Roomy interior, I commute 2 hours a day with 3 large adults and they love the roominess. I like the finger touch controls on the steering wheel. I consider it a safety feature....

Should provide a nerf bar with the purchase, the truck has a high profile and shorter people have issues with stepping in and out. Rough ride, maybe this is how its suppose to be?

Great Truck
By Maer

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this truck for a little over a year. Great. I'm 5'3" female, this truck handles beautifully. The back seat has plenty of room for full size adults, plus the seats recline and they fold down flat, unlike every other 4-door truck I looked at where the back seat bottoms folded up. Also like the hidden storage behind the back seat. Haven't had any trouble with my A/C. MPG 15 HWY and 12-13 in town. Do not like the fact that when I open the driver's door from the inside all the doors unlock (personal safety issue). Also wish the radio still played/windows rolled up/down after the key was turned off and radio went back to low volume after shut off/restart (my crappy Ford did that).

Hemi power, handling, interior room, fold flat seats, info console, being high enough to see around all the minivans!

Bigger/taller std mirrors, door lock issue, lighted cruise buttons on the steering wheel would be nice in the dark. Flip the Speedo with the RPM gauge - minor things.

My First Dodge
By MikeinSA

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan Titan. So I figured why not Dodge? I purchased a 2006 SLT Mega cab 2WD with the 5.7 Hemi. After my purchase co-workers were telling me "That Hemi is a gas hog". I guess that if you are used to driving a Honda Civic or one of the hybrid vehicles that would be a true statement. However if you are in the market for a full size truck you expect that 40- 50 mpg is not in your sights. I currently have 2675 miles on it. and average (with conservative driving habits) about 13.6 mpg city and 17.5 Hwy. Not bad for a 3/4 ton truck. Pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded I recieved approx 9 MPG.

Captain chairs with abundance of storage. Very smooth ride. Reclining back seats are great for long trips. Dodge has done a great job with light dispersment. the head lights are positioned great for dark roads. Fast response to electric seats and windows.

AC should have one more lower setting. Overhead console would be nice.