Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 11 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Hands down the worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Chuck C.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

And I've had some really bad ones over the years. Within just a few weeks of purchase- used, the power steering pump went out (google/common problem), the tach quit working (common problem), the blower motor developed such a racket you couldn't hear the radio over it, then the resistor failed so it was WFO or nothing, adding insult to injury. The brake fluid level switch at the master cylinder reservoir started intermittently shorting out, causing the ABS and BRAKE lights on the dash to illuminate (google/common problem). Here lately the transmission has developed an alarming lag to engage reverse first thing in the morning, almost as if the reverse pump is going out. Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such a poorly constructed pile of crap. I've got a GMC Yukon that's 5 yrs older and has 40,000 more miles on it, but its power steering works like butta, same with the blower motor and resistor, same with the tachometer, etc.

The 4.7l doesn't deserve to be called a "power" plant- it has none. ANYWHERE. IN ANY GEAR. AT ANY RPM. Dodge might as well have put a 4cyl under the hood for all the good that V8 does. It's a laugh, if it didn't make me want to cry. The rear middle seat belt constantly hangs up, aggravating to both me and my son, since I'm the one that has to fix it for him. The ignition is so worn out the key will simply fall right out if you hit a bump right, and the suspension could teach an Abrams tank a thing or two, it's.....horrible....is even being too kind.

I had my reservations about trusting an "older" dodge product. I should've gone with my gut and stuck to a GM or Ford product, but I fell victim to naivety, a serious time crunch, and flashy looks (Silver/20"alloys/Big Horn) and I've regretted it ever since. It is an awful awful truck. I tried to resell it, asking $1,000!!! LESS!!! than the previous owner I had just purchased it from had asked, and for a month I couldn't get any takers, I ended up just swallowing the bitter pill and taking my lumps like a man.

I hope this review helps someone out there avoid my mistake. Stay away from this truck, there are plenty of others out there (Sierra/F150/Titan/Tundra) that simply can NOT be as bad as this one.

Three Years and still counting.....
By 2006RamCrazy

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Well here's an update on my Ram. I've now had it 37 months and 36,600 miles with no real problems.. I've had to take it in two times...Door mirror was loose and chrome grill peeling.. They replaced both parts. I changed the rear end to a 4.56 so my mileage dropped to 15 but I wanted her to pull and she does just that with the new gears. She pulls our 28' boat effortlessly now. Overall great truck and considering trading it in on a 2009 (my 6th Ram).

Sat Radio, Aggressive styling, Chrome 20's, inexpensive to own compared to previous Ram's I've owned.

Standard Radio=Crappy sound quality 4.7 is not a powerhouse. Buy the Hemi.. "Plastic" wheel Covers (20's) are cheap and scratch easily.

service dept. cannot find any problem ?
By amk45

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

we purchased this truck, only 10,000 miles.does not do this all the time. in the last year have problem shaking,cold start, take off shakes really bad, than goes away,shakes more when we pull the boat, starts shaking when we take off then levels out? now shaking when we turn a corner hanna chryselr cannot find anything wrong, my warranty is about to expire,i even drove the truck in with the boat on it, and they could not get it to shake. could this be a tork converter? could this be the power steering is going bad?

we like the truck

Hidden Horrors
By Ken

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck. Not getting the MPG others brag about but acceptable. Very comfortable and easy to drive. Wife not afraid of it.

Height and style

Caution. When you slid out of truck with shorts on beware of wedgie when you hook on the seat lever

Better trucks out there
By bobwest

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Many problems with this pickup, so far dealer has been good about fixing them. 4-door quad cab not much more than an extended cab with 4-doors. Get mega cab if you really intend to have adults in the back seat.

Not sure there are any

Better paint job, premium cloth seats stain easily and hard to clean, rear bumper had rust in first 1000 miles, rear window would not go up or down in first 3000 miles, shifted into 4-wheel drive on it's own one time. Dealer has fixed all but spend too much time in the shop.