Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 69 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Love my 2006 Ram 1500!
By John Clay

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Ram 1500 4WD Laramie quad cab new in 2006. It is equipped with the 5.7 liter hemi. So far, it's been bullet proof. In 10 years, only one trip to the dealer for a warranty repair on an "air gate" that was making noise and preventing proper air circulation. That was covered promptly under warranty and no other service actions other than normal maintenance. I live in Montana and hunt and fish a lot so I'm often using the truck to tow my boat (about 30 times a year) or traveling off-road while hunting. The truck is also used for routine hauling around my property. Pros: reasonable power and torque, outstanding reliability, super sound system and GREAT fuel mileage (about 18.5 mpg on the highway when not towing my boat) with the 5.7 liter hemi with MDS (shuts off 4 cylinders when all 8 are not needed). The creature comforts are also a big plus (leather, dual climate zones, power everything). Con: when towing up hills, the transmission often "hunts" for the ideal gear and shifts too often. I'm betting it's programmed to optimize mileage so it often shifts to a higher gear than I'd like. This has been a great truck for 10 years and I hope to use it for another 10!

Hands down the worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Chuck C.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

And I've had some really bad ones over the years. Within just a few weeks of purchase- used, the power steering pump went out (google/common problem), the tach quit working (common problem), the blower motor developed such a racket you couldn't hear the radio over it, then the resistor failed so it was WFO or nothing, adding insult to injury. The brake fluid level switch at the master cylinder reservoir started intermittently shorting out, causing the ABS and BRAKE lights on the dash to illuminate (google/common problem). Here lately the transmission has developed an alarming lag to engage reverse first thing in the morning, almost as if the reverse pump is going out. Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such a poorly constructed pile of crap. I've got a GMC Yukon that's 5 yrs older and has 40,000 more miles on it, but its power steering works like butta, same with the blower motor and resistor, same with the tachometer, etc.

The 4.7l doesn't deserve to be called a "power" plant- it has none. ANYWHERE. IN ANY GEAR. AT ANY RPM. Dodge might as well have put a 4cyl under the hood for all the good that V8 does. It's a laugh, if it didn't make me want to cry. The rear middle seat belt constantly hangs up, aggravating to both me and my son, since I'm the one that has to fix it for him. The ignition is so worn out the key will simply fall right out if you hit a bump right, and the suspension could teach an Abrams tank a thing or two, it's.....horrible....is even being too kind.

I had my reservations about trusting an "older" dodge product. I should've gone with my gut and stuck to a GM or Ford product, but I fell victim to naivety, a serious time crunch, and flashy looks (Silver/20"alloys/Big Horn) and I've regretted it ever since. It is an awful awful truck. I tried to resell it, asking $1,000!!! LESS!!! than the previous owner I had just purchased it from had asked, and for a month I couldn't get any takers, I ended up just swallowing the bitter pill and taking my lumps like a man.

I hope this review helps someone out there avoid my mistake. Stay away from this truck, there are plenty of others out there (Sierra/F150/Titan/Tundra) that simply can NOT be as bad as this one.

06 Dodge ram 1500 slt
By peter135

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Ram runs great course every vehicle has their problems and none are perfect, but this truck is great if u have the MDS in the hemi 5.7 then its a great engine with a good drive line behind it to be honest im not to thrilled on the 4.7 it drinks gas and doesn't have much power considering that engine at that time was designed with the Dakota and Durango more in mind so made for a lighter truck but I work for dodge and their new 5.7's, 4.7's the new 3.6 and not released yet but the new 3.0 diesel in the 1500 all great engines again the 4.7 drinks fuel but the others are great looking around 14-19 mpg depending on your driving habbits. all in all GREAT trucks.

all of them

from factory they put on shitty tires cup quickly and cause vibrations.

2006 dodge ram 1500 quad cab hemi
By wilson1970

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ram hemi used two years ago had 11000 miles. My truck is the nice black slt quad cab.
Love the hemi but now have the dreaded he hi tick.
Now have 27900 on it. Change oil and have recommend service at local dealer. Have had to replace breakers and tires and had blend door replaced. Was very expensive! Don't drive it in the winter as I wish to keep it and give it to my oldest son in two years. Gas mileage is not that bad if you keep a light foot.
Wish I had gotten the sat radio the factory one sucks...

Hemi power quad cab,power sliding back window

Some sore of light telling when MDS is changing to 4 cylinder.

2006 Dodge Ram
By brent

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab ST 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st truck: so no comparison-but I love it. Got the V-6 and it has plenty of power. Truck came with the optional lower rear end; which I wouldn't have bought-maybe this helps with the power? Have thought about changing to the standard rear end-but wonder if any computers would need to be changed. Water pump failed at around 50K, which I didn't think should happen. My main complaint is the AC. It has never been cold. Took it back to the dealer and he said it was operating to spec. Dropped the headliner and put in a heat shield and tinted the rear windshield but didn't seem to help. Now the recirc door has broken (maybe has been broken for a long time) which really limits the airflow.

I like the appearance of the truck. The capacity for 6 passengers. The back seat is adequate; but wish I had the larger one(Crew or Mega). Like the ride height. Have the ST, the basic truck. Have added cruise,fog lights,trip computer, Bluetooth, DVD, Nav, radio, Kicker speakers and sub.

The HVAC system. Overall, it not cold enough. And now I discover this major problem with the plenum doors breaking. This should be a recall.