Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Mega Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

I suggest step tubes, mud flaps, bed rug tonneau cover and electronic locking tailgate.

One Strong Performer
By H. F. Espinoza

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hands down the most powerful truck I've ever owned. This truck is a top performer with the carrying and pulling capacity of a deisel. Pulls a trailer full of quads, loaded down with minimal effort. You'd hardly know you were pulling a trailer if were not for the rearview mirrors. Never owned a Dodge before this one. Mega Cab has the most spacious rear seat, great for long hauls. Mega cab styling is a head turner and powerful hemi an added bonus. I purchased this truck for my wife who has always driven SUV's. She wanted it for the long trips to Baja and the Grand Mesa in Colorado. I wanted it for pulling five full size quads plus trailer. Fuel economy? Minimal but acceptable. Santa Ana, Ca.

5.7ltr. Hemi. Power to spare. Spacious cabin. Ground clearance is good.

Fuel economy is the only drawback. If fuel economy is a major concern then this truck is not for you.

My First Dodge
By MikeinSA

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan Titan. So I figured why not Dodge? I purchased a 2006 SLT Mega cab 2WD with the 5.7 Hemi. After my purchase co-workers were telling me "That Hemi is a gas hog". I guess that if you are used to driving a Honda Civic or one of the hybrid vehicles that would be a true statement. However if you are in the market for a full size truck you expect that 40- 50 mpg is not in your sights. I currently have 2675 miles on it. and average (with conservative driving habits) about 13.6 mpg city and 17.5 Hwy. Not bad for a 3/4 ton truck. Pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded I recieved approx 9 MPG.

Captain chairs with abundance of storage. Very smooth ride. Reclining back seats are great for long trips. Dodge has done a great job with light dispersment. the head lights are positioned great for dark roads. Fast response to electric seats and windows.

AC should have one more lower setting. Overhead console would be nice.

'06 Mega Cab
By mmmiller53

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Replaced my '01 Ford F-150 SuperCrew with this '06 Mega Cab. A lot more truck in just about every way. After 3 months and 4000 miles I'm not disappointed. Great to drive, a super comfortable interior, good styling, and reasonable mileage given its size and weight. Since mileage seems to be everyone's biggest issue, I'm getting right at 12mpg in mixed driving around town and to work, and just got three consecutive tanks between 15-16 on a 1400 mile round trip to Wisconsin. Again, not bad given the truck weighs 6000+. Overall, I'm very happy with my decision to buy this truck.

Interior size and comfort, rear door size and near 90 degree opening, power when you need it.

Because of the front center floor console, it's hard to sit an adult in the center seat--OK for a child or small adult. Get rid of it and add more overhead storage.

Mega Cab - WOW!
By George

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Talk about comfort. This one's got it. Reclining rear seats (the kids love it), very roomy; and plenty of power for it to get out of its own way and blow the others away. This is my 6th Dodge truck and by far the best!

5.7 HEMI V8, AM/FM/6 CD/Cassette/7 Infinity speakers, Reclining rear seats, A/C vents in the back seating area and many other standard options

Needs a little more weight in the rear and more A/C vents in the back seat