2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
06 mega 4x4 hemi
By 06mega1 on 12/13/13 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hemi power is a joke, could not spin the tires on wet grass. Starts to pull a little after 4000 rpm. I tow a two place snomobile trailer loaded and feels like the brakes are on. Ride is rough and choppy for a long wheel base. I have replaced all ujoints,tie rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,shocks and still it wanders all over the road.With some aftermarket add ons i can now pass for a sober driver but have to work at it.Still has a vibration at 75 that no one can fix.Sterio sounds really good when it feels like powering up but wont half the time.Rear power windows roll up and down great but only when they want to. 12 mpg on a great day but normally 9 or so.

BE WARNED!!!
By papasai on 01/07/13 19:01 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just traded my '06 ram 1500 SLT hemi v8 4x4 Quad cab after 1 year of ownership. I owned 2 Ford F150 FX4 crew cabs before this. No comparison. you get what you pay for and that is why dodge's are cheaper. Not only did the truck depreciate by $10,000 in a year without any damage, high mileage, or the like, but my confidence in it's reliability is to the point that I'm biting the bullet and eating all the inequity in my next deal. Terrible ride, they might as well call it an extended cab, the transmission has had issues, rear window leaked, it didn't crank on two occasions and couldn't be diagnosed,and you don't want to hit a bump going 70mph or more, especially in bad conditions.

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike on 04/15/10 14:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

Mega Cab
By Gavin on 07/01/09 13:36 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is great to put my 3 car seats in. Tons of room. Gas mileage w/4:10 gears 11.5-12.3 city, highway @75 13-15.5 mostly 13 though. I took a trip drove 75-80 got 12.8. Towing, the power is there the mileage is horrible pulled about 2000lbs got 9.3 towing mostly up hill. ON the way back got 10.9 mostly@75 both ways . But over all I really love the truck. Things seem to be holding up very well. I got the Laramie w/dvd&nav those are great features. The kids love it. This truck does not have the performance/mileage but more room and handles loads better than the 04 I used to have but it does o.k. I wish this was a diesel but it is a good truck and people in the back are compfortable.

One Strong Performer
By H. F. Espinoza on 05/25/09 14:57 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hands down the most powerful truck I've ever owned. This truck is a top performer with the carrying and pulling capacity of a deisel. Pulls a trailer full of quads, loaded down with minimal effort. You'd hardly know you were pulling a trailer if were not for the rearview mirrors. Never owned a Dodge before this one. Mega Cab has the most spacious rear seat, great for long hauls. Mega cab styling is a head turner and powerful hemi an added bonus. I purchased this truck for my wife who has always driven SUV's. She wanted it for the long trips to Baja and the Grand Mesa in Colorado. I wanted it for pulling five full size quads plus trailer. Fuel economy? Minimal but acceptable. Santa Ana, Ca.

By Tony on 06/14/08 11:56 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Laramie 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Purchased in California late 2007, switched from a regular cab 1500 to the mega cab 1500. All my cars have been Dodge for the last 15 years. I'm impressed with almost every aspect of the vehicle except the ride and gas mileage. Took the family of six to Disneyland and the ride was almost unbearable going over the Altamont. Felt like we were in some sort of shaking machine. Can't imagine what this is doing to the truck. This truck is not a smooth ride unless the highway is perfect. Also I average about 10-11 mpg in the city and 13-15 on the highway. But I expected this knowing the vehicle type I was buying. I'm deciding if the ride is enough of an issue to cause me to get another vehicle.

Great Truck
By Maer on 10/11/07 12:54 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Driving this truck for a little over a year. Great. I'm 5'3" female, this truck handles beautifully. The back seat has plenty of room for full size adults, plus the seats recline and they fold down flat, unlike every other 4-door truck I looked at where the back seat bottoms folded up. Also like the hidden storage behind the back seat. Haven't had any trouble with my A/C. MPG 15 HWY and 12-13 in town. Do not like the fact that when I open the driver's door from the inside all the doors unlock (personal safety issue). Also wish the radio still played/windows rolled up/down after the key was turned off and radio went back to low volume after shut off/restart (my crappy Ford did that).

My First Dodge
By MikeinSA on 12/09/06 07:43 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I have owned Ford, Chevy, GMC, Toyota, and Nissan Titan. So I figured why not Dodge? I purchased a 2006 SLT Mega cab 2WD with the 5.7 Hemi. After my purchase co-workers were telling me "That Hemi is a gas hog". I guess that if you are used to driving a Honda Civic or one of the hybrid vehicles that would be a true statement. However if you are in the market for a full size truck you expect that 40- 50 mpg is not in your sights. I currently have 2675 miles on it. and average (with conservative driving habits) about 13.6 mpg city and 17.5 Hwy. Not bad for a 3/4 ton truck. Pulling a tandem axle trailer loaded I recieved approx 9 MPG.

2006 Mega Cab 4x4
By THE INVESTIGATOR on 12/06/06 19:49 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

In the first 50 miles this truck made me not even look back at my 2007 Lincoln Mark LT truck I traded in on this Dodge Mega Cab. At least when you step on the gas you could at least feel the truck move. I don't care if it only gets 12 mpg. The Lincoln only got 13 mpg and you had to worry that you cleared the intersection before the light changed. The interior room is fantastic and at least the seats are really comfortable. This truck is awesome.

Great Truck
By psy325 on 11/09/06 10:46 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This is a great truck. I have always bought Chevy trucks, but I think I am a Dodge guy now. The only bad thing about the 1500 megacab 4wd is the gas mileage, about 11 mpg.

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.