Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram-pickup-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

06 mega 4x4 hemi
By 06mega1

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hemi power is a joke, could not spin the tires on wet grass. Starts to pull a little after 4000 rpm. I tow a two place snomobile trailer loaded and feels like the brakes are on. Ride is rough and choppy for a long wheel base. I have replaced all ujoints,tie rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,shocks and still it wanders all over the road.With some aftermarket add ons i can now pass for a sober driver but have to work at it.Still has a vibration at 75 that no one can fix.Sterio sounds really good when it feels like powering up but wont half the time.Rear power windows roll up and down great but only when they want to. 12 mpg on a great day but normally 9 or so.

Favorite Features

Every one says to me, man thats a sharp truck, it sounds really nice with dual flowmasters.Im like yea till my wife gets beside it in her yukon with a 6.2 vortec and leaves it like its going backwards. It does have a great amount of room and a sharp exterior and thats why i bought it. mpg? who really cares in a truck this size.

Suggested Improvements

Dodge, figure out how to wire a your vehicles so electronics will last longer than it takes to drive it off the lot. Build a smooth running drive trane with no vibrations. Build a front end that isnt completely shot at 60k miles. Make it drive as good as a g.m. truck,lol.

BE WARNED!!!
By papasai

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just traded my '06 ram 1500 SLT hemi v8 4x4 Quad cab after 1 year of ownership. I owned 2 Ford F150 FX4 crew cabs before this. No comparison. you get what you pay for and that is why dodge's are cheaper. Not only did the truck depreciate by $10,000 in a year without any damage, high mileage, or the like, but my confidence in it's reliability is to the point that I'm biting the bullet and eating all the inequity in my next deal. Terrible ride, they might as well call it an extended cab, the transmission has had issues, rear window leaked, it didn't crank on two occasions and couldn't be diagnosed,and you don't want to hit a bump going 70mph or more, especially in bad conditions.

Favorite Features

Not a bad looking truck.

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

Suggested Improvements

I suggest step tubes, mud flaps, bed rug tonneau cover and electronic locking tailgate.

Mega Cab
By Gavin

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Laramie 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is great to put my 3 car seats in. Tons of room. Gas mileage w/4:10 gears 11.5-12.3 city, highway @75 13-15.5 mostly 13 though. I took a trip drove 75-80 got 12.8. Towing, the power is there the mileage is horrible pulled about 2000lbs got 9.3 towing mostly up hill. ON the way back got 10.9 mostly@75 both ways . But over all I really love the truck. Things seem to be holding up very well. I got the Laramie w/dvd&nav those are great features. The kids love it. This truck does not have the performance/mileage but more room and handles loads better than the 04 I used to have but it does o.k. I wish this was a diesel but it is a good truck and people in the back are compfortable.

Favorite Features

THE ROOM IS NUMBER ONE, the way it handle loads, quietness the kids can't kick or push on my seat. That is huge. They always did that in my 04, drove me crazy. My wifes favorite features is the powerpedals and the powerseat. I also love all the storage space you can't beat it. Backseat AC/heat vents

Suggested Improvements

I hate the cup holders. The fold down ones in my 04 were so much better. You could fit any drink in those. The gas mileage is the worst about the truck, its expensive to drive, Sometimes driving around on the freeway the gearing isn't right where I would like it to be. I really want a diesel.

One Strong Performer
By H. F. Espinoza

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hands down the most powerful truck I've ever owned. This truck is a top performer with the carrying and pulling capacity of a deisel. Pulls a trailer full of quads, loaded down with minimal effort. You'd hardly know you were pulling a trailer if were not for the rearview mirrors. Never owned a Dodge before this one. Mega Cab has the most spacious rear seat, great for long hauls. Mega cab styling is a head turner and powerful hemi an added bonus. I purchased this truck for my wife who has always driven SUV's. She wanted it for the long trips to Baja and the Grand Mesa in Colorado. I wanted it for pulling five full size quads plus trailer. Fuel economy? Minimal but acceptable. Santa Ana, Ca.

Favorite Features

5.7ltr. Hemi. Power to spare. Spacious cabin. Ground clearance is good.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel economy is the only drawback. If fuel economy is a major concern then this truck is not for you.