Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab Consumer Reviews - 29 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Rammed
By Mark

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used (73,000 miles) 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT from a dealership. It appeared in great shape and I did my homework on this truck, but some things lurk in the shadows and come out at night.this truck fits that description. Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty, $0 deductible and it was a blessing I did.
1. Two weeks out of the purchase date the check engine light comes on. Unknown problem. $125 at dealership to determine issue.
2. A few weeks later exhaust pipe comes out of y pipe. Local garage fix for $100
3. Squeaking from engine, to dealership, unknown problem, changed fan belt determined a water leak but unknown from where.
4. In shop again suspension squeak, located water leak, replace water pump, squeak still not located not diagnosed
5. Brakes making steering issue. Brakes hanging up on rotors - was an issue for a while and rotors warped, brake job at local garage
6. Steering very loose all of a sudden, dealership inspected, flushed out, that was their solution
7. Driver's side Ball joint out, Took 3 trips to dealership to determine this.
8. Normal maintenance schedule followed - oil, trans fluids, filters etc
9. A couple months after scheduled trans maintenance Transmission all of a sudden trans slips, loses gear ratio in 3rd and 4th, loses 4 th and 3rd completely. Codes were pulled within an hour of the check engine light coming on and 7 different codes pop up.

All of this was in a period of 14 months and 24K miles. No off roading, no racing, just normal driving mostly on highway and very occasionally on hard packed dirt roads.

Now I know that used vehicles have some issues that will arise as they get older, as any vehicle will, but this is way too many trips to the garage to fix issues. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the transmission service completed and a couple months later the transmission blows out.
Currently waiting for service day to diagnose issue.

Caution on Dodge Rams....look before you leap.

Mega Sexy
By David

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck for it's roomy interior. At 8 ft inside it is incredible. Brakes are great, in the snow it is awesome in 4 wheel drive with standard tires. I bought the truck with 111,000 miles, it is now at 149,000 and I still love it. At 55 or 60 I can get 18.7 mpg but around town at less than 2 miles to work I average 11.3 at the most. I recently purchased a 3,000 pound 5th wheel and the truck actually rides smoother with the trailer in tow. I love the ride height, my cousins Chevy with 36" tires only rides 4 inches higher than my truck at the cab top with 265 stock tires on mine.

06 mega 4x4 hemi
By 06mega1

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hemi power is a joke, could not spin the tires on wet grass. Starts to pull a little after 4000 rpm. I tow a two place snomobile trailer loaded and feels like the brakes are on. Ride is rough and choppy for a long wheel base. I have replaced all ujoints,tie rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,shocks and still it wanders all over the road.With some aftermarket add ons i can now pass for a sober driver but have to work at it.Still has a vibration at 75 that no one can fix.Sterio sounds really good when it feels like powering up but wont half the time.Rear power windows roll up and down great but only when they want to. 12 mpg on a great day but normally 9 or so.

Every one says to me, man thats a sharp truck, it sounds really nice with dual flowmasters.Im like yea till my wife gets beside it in her yukon with a 6.2 vortec and leaves it like its going backwards. It does have a great amount of room and a sharp exterior and thats why i bought it. mpg? who really cares in a truck this size.

Dodge, figure out how to wire a your vehicles so electronics will last longer than it takes to drive it off the lot. Build a smooth running drive trane with no vibrations. Build a front end that isnt completely shot at 60k miles. Make it drive as good as a g.m. truck,lol.

BE WARNED!!!
By papasai

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just traded my '06 ram 1500 SLT hemi v8 4x4 Quad cab after 1 year of ownership. I owned 2 Ford F150 FX4 crew cabs before this. No comparison. you get what you pay for and that is why dodge's are cheaper. Not only did the truck depreciate by $10,000 in a year without any damage, high mileage, or the like, but my confidence in it's reliability is to the point that I'm biting the bullet and eating all the inequity in my next deal. Terrible ride, they might as well call it an extended cab, the transmission has had issues, rear window leaked, it didn't crank on two occasions and couldn't be diagnosed,and you don't want to hit a bump going 70mph or more, especially in bad conditions.

Not a bad looking truck.

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Mega Cab SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

I suggest step tubes, mud flaps, bed rug tonneau cover and electronic locking tailgate.