2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
06 Dodge ram 1500 slt
By peter135 on 03/25/14 18:50 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Ram runs great course every vehicle has their problems and none are perfect, but this truck is great if u have the MDS in the hemi 5.7 then its a great engine with a good drive line behind it to be honest im not to thrilled on the 4.7 it drinks gas and doesn't have much power considering that engine at that time was designed with the Dakota and Durango more in mind so made for a lighter truck but I work for dodge and their new 5.7's, 4.7's the new 3.6 and not released yet but the new 3.0 diesel in the 1500 all great engines again the 4.7 drinks fuel but the others are great looking around 14-19 mpg depending on your driving habbits. all in all GREAT trucks.

06 mega 4x4 hemi
By 06mega1 on 12/13/13 18:36 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

Hemi power is a joke, could not spin the tires on wet grass. Starts to pull a little after 4000 rpm. I tow a two place snomobile trailer loaded and feels like the brakes are on. Ride is rough and choppy for a long wheel base. I have replaced all ujoints,tie rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,shocks and still it wanders all over the road.With some aftermarket add ons i can now pass for a sober driver but have to work at it.Still has a vibration at 75 that no one can fix.Sterio sounds really good when it feels like powering up but wont half the time.Rear power windows roll up and down great but only when they want to. 12 mpg on a great day but normally 9 or so.

2006 dodge ram 1500 quad cab hemi
By wilson1970 on 10/28/13 13:04 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought my ram hemi used two years ago had 11000 miles. My truck is the nice black slt quad cab. Love the hemi but now have the dreaded he hi tick. Now have 27900 on it. Change oil and have recommend service at local dealer. Have had to replace breakers and tires and had blend door replaced. Was very expensive! Don't drive it in the winter as I wish to keep it and give it to my oldest son in two years. Gas mileage is not that bad if you keep a light foot. Wish I had gotten the sat radio the factory one sucks...

BE WARNED!!!
By papasai on 01/07/13 19:01 PM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I just traded my '06 ram 1500 SLT hemi v8 4x4 Quad cab after 1 year of ownership. I owned 2 Ford F150 FX4 crew cabs before this. No comparison. you get what you pay for and that is why dodge's are cheaper. Not only did the truck depreciate by $10,000 in a year without any damage, high mileage, or the like, but my confidence in it's reliability is to the point that I'm biting the bullet and eating all the inequity in my next deal. Terrible ride, they might as well call it an extended cab, the transmission has had issues, rear window leaked, it didn't crank on two occasions and couldn't be diagnosed,and you don't want to hit a bump going 70mph or more, especially in bad conditions.

2006 Dodge Ram
By brent on 07/02/10 06:12 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST 4dr Quad Cab SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

My 1st truck: so no comparison-but I love it. Got the V-6 and it has plenty of power. Truck came with the optional lower rear end; which I wouldn't have bought-maybe this helps with the power? Have thought about changing to the standard rear end-but wonder if any computers would need to be changed. Water pump failed at around 50K, which I didn't think should happen. My main complaint is the AC. It has never been cold. Took it back to the dealer and he said it was operating to spec. Dropped the headliner and put in a heat shield and tinted the rear windshield but didn't seem to help. Now the recirc door has broken (maybe has been broken for a long time) which really limits the airflow.

Fun to drive
By Chris on 05/22/10 17:23 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I am having a fun time with my Ram driving off road to the fishing holes I fish at. I have no problem with it and enjoying it even on the long trips i have gone on with it.

2006 Dodge
By Chad on 04/19/10 08:44 AM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Have had mine for 4 years now with 49k on odometer. At approx. 15k I had to have air recirculation door replaced (warranty). At 30k I had to have rotors turned and transmission replaced (transmission replaced under warranty). I rarely tow and when I do it is nothing more than an enclosed motorcycle trailer with a Harley. I'm a bit disappointed in reliability. Plenty of power, very quiet and comfortable ride and plenty of room except for rear seat passengers. Avg. fuel economy is between 16 and 17 mpg. -- I expected closer to 20 mpg with the MDS system. I'll keep it as long as it runs but I'll probably go with Ford when the time comes to replace it.

Mega Cab Savior
By Mike on 04/15/10 14:18 PM (PDT)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is not great on gas mileage (rual driving avg 14.3 mpg) but has gotten us out of plenty of jams and is great for family camping trips. I have pulled cars sideways out of the mud while I was in the mud (great traction even with heavy and difficult load to pull). The best feature of this truck though is the internal space, you have to see it from the inside to grasp how big it actually is (comfortably fits 5 full grown men for long trips).

poor gas milage
By eric on 02/11/10 08:41 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

This truck is half the truck my 98 gmc z71 was. I mean the 4 wheel drive has a mild low range and cant really get the truck to pull the boat out of the water. The ride is rough and have no idea that a truck made in 2006 can get the same fuel economy as a model A. The comfort of the seat is like siting on a rock. I dont know if its because the truck is cheaply made or that all the other american made trucks are that much better. Also if you lean against the truck you will dent the slim sheet metal. I can't think of any other truck that shifts as much as this one. It dosen't even know when it wants to.

SLT 4X4 Quad Cab
By Marc Kurbansade on 12/31/09 06:38 AM (PST)

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

This has been a great truck (going on four years ownership) and I would recommend to anyone. Never any major problems but I have kept up on maintenance. The only problem has been the air recirculation door for the A/C system (my mechanic says it is fairly common in this model) and unfortunately I found out about it 1,000 miles after my warranty expired. Gas mileage is OK (average about 15 mpg based on my combo of highway/city driving) but that's what I expected with a 5.7L/345 hp engine. The ease of flipping up the rear set allows for easy carting of cargo (mostly my Dobermans).

TCO® insurance data for this vehicle coming soon...

For an accurate quote, contact our trusted partner below.