I purchased a used (73,000 miles) 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT from a dealership. It appeared in great shape and I did my homework on this truck, but some things lurk in the shadows and come out at night.this truck fits that description. Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty, $0 deductible and it was a blessing I did.
1. Two weeks out of the purchase date the check engine light comes on. Unknown problem. $125 at dealership to determine issue.
2. A few weeks later exhaust pipe comes out of y pipe. Local garage fix for $100
3. Squeaking from engine, to dealership, unknown problem, changed fan belt determined a water leak but unknown from where.
4. In shop again suspension squeak, located water leak, replace water pump, squeak still not located not diagnosed
5. Brakes making steering issue. Brakes hanging up on rotors - was an issue for a while and rotors warped, brake job at local garage
6. Steering very loose all of a sudden, dealership inspected, flushed out, that was their solution
7. Driver's side Ball joint out, Took 3 trips to dealership to determine this.
8. Normal maintenance schedule followed - oil, trans fluids, filters etc
9. A couple months after scheduled trans maintenance Transmission all of a sudden trans slips, loses gear ratio in 3rd and 4th, loses 4 th and 3rd completely. Codes were pulled within an hour of the check engine light coming on and 7 different codes pop up.
All of this was in a period of 14 months and 24K miles. No off roading, no racing, just normal driving mostly on highway and very occasionally on hard packed dirt roads.
Now I know that used vehicles have some issues that will arise as they get older, as any vehicle will, but this is way too many trips to the garage to fix issues. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the transmission service completed and a couple months later the transmission blows out.
Currently waiting for service day to diagnose issue.
Caution on Dodge Rams....look before you leap.
I bought this truck for it's roomy interior. At 8 ft inside it is incredible. Brakes are great, in the snow it is awesome in 4 wheel drive with standard tires. I bought the truck with 111,000 miles, it is now at 149,000 and I still love it. At 55 or 60 I can get 18.7 mpg but around town at less than 2 miles to work I average 11.3 at the most. I recently purchased a 3,000 pound 5th wheel and the truck actually rides smoother with the trailer in tow. I love the ride height, my cousins Chevy with 36" tires only rides 4 inches higher than my truck at the cab top with 265 stock tires on mine.
I love my Ram runs great course every vehicle has their problems and none are perfect, but this truck is great if u have the MDS in the hemi 5.7 then its a great engine with a good drive line behind it to be honest im not to thrilled on the 4.7 it drinks gas and doesn't have much power considering that engine at that time was designed with the Dakota and Durango more in mind so made for a lighter truck but I work for dodge and their new 5.7's, 4.7's the new 3.6 and not released yet but the new 3.0 diesel in the 1500 all great engines again the 4.7 drinks fuel but the others are great looking around 14-19 mpg depending on your driving habbits. all in all GREAT trucks.
all of them
from factory they put on shitty tires cup quickly and cause vibrations.
Hemi power is a joke, could not spin the tires on wet grass. Starts to pull a little after 4000 rpm. I tow a two place snomobile trailer loaded and feels like the brakes are on. Ride is rough and choppy for a long wheel base. I have replaced all ujoints,tie rods,wheel bearings,ball joints,shocks and still it wanders all over the road.With some aftermarket add ons i can now pass for a sober driver but have to work at it.Still has a vibration at 75 that no one can fix.Sterio sounds really good when it feels like powering up but wont half the time.Rear power windows roll up and down great but only when they want to. 12 mpg on a great day but normally 9 or so.
Every one says to me, man thats a sharp truck, it sounds really nice with dual flowmasters.Im like yea till my wife gets beside it in her yukon with a 6.2 vortec and leaves it like its going backwards. It does have a great amount of room and a sharp exterior and thats why i bought it. mpg? who really cares in a truck this size.
Dodge, figure out how to wire a your vehicles so electronics will last longer than it takes to drive it off the lot. Build a smooth running drive trane with no vibrations. Build a front end that isnt completely shot at 60k miles. Make it drive as good as a g.m. truck,lol.
I bought my ram hemi used two years ago had 11000 miles. My truck is the nice black slt quad cab.
Love the hemi but now have the dreaded he hi tick.
Now have 27900 on it. Change oil and have recommend service at local dealer. Have had to replace breakers and tires and had blend door replaced. Was very expensive! Don't drive it in the winter as I wish to keep it and give it to my oldest son in two years. Gas mileage is not that bad if you keep a light foot.
Wish I had gotten the sat radio the factory one sucks...
Hemi power quad cab,power sliding back window
Some sore of light telling when MDS is changing to 4 cylinder.