Used 2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 121 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Love my 2006 Ram 1500!
By John Clay

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased my Ram 1500 4WD Laramie quad cab new in 2006. It is equipped with the 5.7 liter hemi. So far, it's been bullet proof. In 10 years, only one trip to the dealer for a warranty repair on an "air gate" that was making noise and preventing proper air circulation. That was covered promptly under warranty and no other service actions other than normal maintenance. I live in Montana and hunt and fish a lot so I'm often using the truck to tow my boat (about 30 times a year) or traveling off-road while hunting. The truck is also used for routine hauling around my property. Pros: reasonable power and torque, outstanding reliability, super sound system and GREAT fuel mileage (about 18.5 mpg on the highway when not towing my boat) with the 5.7 liter hemi with MDS (shuts off 4 cylinders when all 8 are not needed). The creature comforts are also a big plus (leather, dual climate zones, power everything). Con: when towing up hills, the transmission often "hunts" for the ideal gear and shifts too often. I'm betting it's programmed to optimize mileage so it often shifts to a higher gear than I'd like. This has been a great truck for 10 years and I hope to use it for another 10!

Hands down the worst vehicle I've ever owned
By Chuck C.

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Quad Cab SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

And I've had some really bad ones over the years. Within just a few weeks of purchase- used, the power steering pump went out (google/common problem), the tach quit working (common problem), the blower motor developed such a racket you couldn't hear the radio over it, then the resistor failed so it was WFO or nothing, adding insult to injury. The brake fluid level switch at the master cylinder reservoir started intermittently shorting out, causing the ABS and BRAKE lights on the dash to illuminate (google/common problem). Here lately the transmission has developed an alarming lag to engage reverse first thing in the morning, almost as if the reverse pump is going out. Dodge should be ashamed of themselves for marketing such a poorly constructed pile of crap. I've got a GMC Yukon that's 5 yrs older and has 40,000 more miles on it, but its power steering works like butta, same with the blower motor and resistor, same with the tachometer, etc.

The 4.7l doesn't deserve to be called a "power" plant- it has none. ANYWHERE. IN ANY GEAR. AT ANY RPM. Dodge might as well have put a 4cyl under the hood for all the good that V8 does. It's a laugh, if it didn't make me want to cry. The rear middle seat belt constantly hangs up, aggravating to both me and my son, since I'm the one that has to fix it for him. The ignition is so worn out the key will simply fall right out if you hit a bump right, and the suspension could teach an Abrams tank a thing or two, it's.....horrible....is even being too kind.

I had my reservations about trusting an "older" dodge product. I should've gone with my gut and stuck to a GM or Ford product, but I fell victim to naivety, a serious time crunch, and flashy looks (Silver/20"alloys/Big Horn) and I've regretted it ever since. It is an awful awful truck. I tried to resell it, asking $1,000!!! LESS!!! than the previous owner I had just purchased it from had asked, and for a month I couldn't get any takers, I ended up just swallowing the bitter pill and taking my lumps like a man.

I hope this review helps someone out there avoid my mistake. Stay away from this truck, there are plenty of others out there (Sierra/F150/Titan/Tundra) that simply can NOT be as bad as this one.

Rammed
By Mark

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I purchased a used (73,000 miles) 2006 Dodge Ram 1500 SLT from a dealership. It appeared in great shape and I did my homework on this truck, but some things lurk in the shadows and come out at night.this truck fits that description. Fortunately I purchased an extended warranty, $0 deductible and it was a blessing I did.
1. Two weeks out of the purchase date the check engine light comes on. Unknown problem. $125 at dealership to determine issue.
2. A few weeks later exhaust pipe comes out of y pipe. Local garage fix for $100
3. Squeaking from engine, to dealership, unknown problem, changed fan belt determined a water leak but unknown from where.
4. In shop again suspension squeak, located water leak, replace water pump, squeak still not located not diagnosed
5. Brakes making steering issue. Brakes hanging up on rotors - was an issue for a while and rotors warped, brake job at local garage
6. Steering very loose all of a sudden, dealership inspected, flushed out, that was their solution
7. Driver's side Ball joint out, Took 3 trips to dealership to determine this.
8. Normal maintenance schedule followed - oil, trans fluids, filters etc
9. A couple months after scheduled trans maintenance Transmission all of a sudden trans slips, loses gear ratio in 3rd and 4th, loses 4 th and 3rd completely. Codes were pulled within an hour of the check engine light coming on and 7 different codes pop up.

All of this was in a period of 14 months and 24K miles. No off roading, no racing, just normal driving mostly on highway and very occasionally on hard packed dirt roads.

Now I know that used vehicles have some issues that will arise as they get older, as any vehicle will, but this is way too many trips to the garage to fix issues. The final straw that broke the camel's back was the transmission service completed and a couple months later the transmission blows out.
Currently waiting for service day to diagnose issue.

Caution on Dodge Rams....look before you leap.

Mega Sexy
By David

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Mega Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought this truck for it's roomy interior. At 8 ft inside it is incredible. Brakes are great, in the snow it is awesome in 4 wheel drive with standard tires. I bought the truck with 111,000 miles, it is now at 149,000 and I still love it. At 55 or 60 I can get 18.7 mpg but around town at less than 2 miles to work I average 11.3 at the most. I recently purchased a 3,000 pound 5th wheel and the truck actually rides smoother with the trailer in tow. I love the ride height, my cousins Chevy with 36" tires only rides 4 inches higher than my truck at the cab top with 265 stock tires on mine.

06 Dodge ram 1500 slt
By peter135

2006 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Laramie 4dr Quad Cab 4WD SB (5.7L 8cyl 5A)

I love my Ram runs great course every vehicle has their problems and none are perfect, but this truck is great if u have the MDS in the hemi 5.7 then its a great engine with a good drive line behind it to be honest im not to thrilled on the 4.7 it drinks gas and doesn't have much power considering that engine at that time was designed with the Dakota and Durango more in mind so made for a lighter truck but I work for dodge and their new 5.7's, 4.7's the new 3.6 and not released yet but the new 3.0 diesel in the 1500 all great engines again the 4.7 drinks fuel but the others are great looking around 14-19 mpg depending on your driving habbits. all in all GREAT trucks.

all of them

from factory they put on shitty tires cup quickly and cause vibrations.