2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Review: Stepped up from a Toyota

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Review

SLT Quad Cab (4.7L V8 6-speed Manual 6.3 ft. Bed)

Stepped up from a Toyota
By formerice on

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I love this truck, totaly impressed with the hemi. Handeling,ride and even fuel economy have been outstanding. I average 17-18 mpg normal driving. About the same as a previous Mazda B3000 4x4 and nearly as good as my old Tacoma v6 4x4. Build quality is as good as the Toyota. I have put Rancho9000's on and handling is great with the big 20" Goodyears. Front GY's at 40K still look new. Rears, can't blame the tires. My first American made truck, been driving Japaneese trucks since 1974. Dodge, you won me over.

Sound system with the Sirrius is great.Seats are great for long trips. My first truck with an automatic and this one shifts great, crisp and smooth and I can control upshifts and downshifts easily with the throttle. Hemi tows very well for a gas motor, gobs of torque. Works hard and looks mean.

Some of my complaints have been eliminated in the '6's. Hemi with MDS, 6 speed manual, heavier rear springs, I added a leaf, ig improvement, and the Rancho 9000's should be standard. Ok this will never happen, the V6 MB diesel would be a nice option in the 1500 and Dakota if fuel keeps going up.