Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

i wish....
By ultramark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

CONS-Poor build quality for the 3.7L, The bearings are Aluminum :( -also the gauges are practically dummy gauges, oil pressure gauge reads "normal", even if low pressure is going on. Very disappointed to find "spun" AL bearings, when the oil gauge read normal, >>"Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is about 6 psi (very low) or lower, the check gauges indicator will be illuminated.", otherwise reads "normal" = your engine might already be already destroyed, (mine 100k), the 3.7 rebuild is almost as expensive as a Hemi & about 1000$ more than 4.7 ect. Very disappointed to find oil sludging was an issue with the vehicle as well.

PROS-Price, good looks & ride, spacious interior, fair towing ability, good abs brakes (not std), 2wd

Real gauges are needed for oil (cause of Aluminium parts) and temp (Aluminium heads), the CD player as others have commented upon, randomly does not work. (ended up swapping it out), never got over 17mpg ever. usually 15-16mpg. The oil seals are not very good, tried using synthetic oil and it leaked badly.

Just RAM it!
By tvilla

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

My first dodge and its an 05 ram HEMI 4x4 quad cab w/20's. The power is awesome. Got this ram with 59k miles and now have 111000. It has been flawless. It has taken me anywhere I have wanted to go. I have traveled and slept in it many times so it is very comfortable. Was moving from Tx to Az with a camper shell. So I packed it out as much as would fit. Put my wifes 4000 pound car on a tow dolly and packed it out .. I still did 75 mph and sometimes 80. It runs and idles so smooth you'd think it was brand new! Even w/o dual exhaust it still roars when you get on it. And its quiet when you don't.

My favorite features is the Hemi. The gas mileage is not even that bad for something that has so much power. The power still surprises me when I jump on it and it throws me back. And the 4x4 has gotten me out of being stranded in snow storms on a few occasions.

As far as improvements the back seat could of used more room and if it would've fit my budget I would have got a mega-cab.

one issue in one year not too bad
By jake120

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

i have owned my reg cab 4.7l 4x4 automatic truck since january and truck has far exceeded my expectations, i have always owned chevy and last two let me down so i figured i would give dodge a chance. i bought it with 60,000 and have put 25000 miles on so far only issue i ran into was both front wheel bearings went on me and they are not the easiest to fix, have heard this is an issue with these at that mileage. other than that truck has been awesome. has descent gas mileage for what it is and has sufficient power i would buy it again in a heartbeat

interior room, 4.7l engine, ground clearance,

replace front wheel hub assembley, make section where bolts to assembly are wider so you dont have to pull whole front end apart to replace it.

2005 Dodge Ram 1500, 5.7 liter Hemi Quad Cab, SLT
By lee5720

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I bought this truck new and have never regretted it. I like it very much. The ride is very comfortable and the dash board controls are easy to understand and easy to reach while driving.

This truck came with a sprayed in bed liner which is great. It beats those plastic drop in liners. I like the sliding rear window and the storage under the rear seat. There is ample foot room in the rear seat. The arm rest storage unit between the front seats is large and easy to get into. The ride is smooth and does not feel like a truck at all. I haven't towed anything yet, but there is no doubt this truck will handle the load. The gas mileage isn't too bad for a 5.7 Hemi (11 in town and 15 on the open road. The ONLY thing that has ever gone wrong with this truck is a burned out brake light (which isn't even a problem).

The only suggestion I might make to help improve this vehicle is to add a couple extra interior lights lower, below the heater controls so the drink tray and ashtray are more visible when driving at night.

My Ram
By Mark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2005 Dodge Ram with a 3.7 V6 with an automatic transmission. I have 61,000 miles and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my truck, well except for the factory cd player which only takes a few of my cd's and spits the rest out. I wish I could have gotten a quad cab with a V8 but I got a good deal on this one. I was skeptical about the small V6 but it is plenty capable of getting around. I have driven the V8's and the power difference is noticeable but all I really care about is reliability. The ride is a bit more lively due to the short WB but it feels solid. The brakes are outstanding. The Ram is the best Truck nowadays and if you're considering one, trust me- V8 is a must!!

Looks, gauges, reliability, sound system, size, color (bright red), brakes, customizability, interior door openers.

Better cd player, better mileage (although this has already been addressed in 09)