Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 144 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Great versatile truck with 4.7L
By amf

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I purchased a used quad cab with the 4.7 L and the 5 speed auto. It had the 20" wheels, which the dealer traded out for me to the chrome 16's. Dynamite combo; this gives you the 4.7 L with 3.9 gears and standard wheels which == good towing (7k), good power and good mileage (16-18 HWY). I've towed tractors, horses and building materials for 3 years with no repairs. Better truck than any ford I've ever had.

The five speed auto is smooth and sure. The bed size is perfect; I wanted a quad cab with a USABLE bed and this is the best one on the market.

none

Never again!
By 1ruger4570

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I Bought this truck because I had heard good things about the new Dodge trucks in 2005. I have regretted it. Problems include: EGR valve, rough idle (fuel filter is attached to the fuel pump, replacement of one means replacement of both) the adjustable driver's seat track has broken five times in 39,000 miles. When the seat track breaks the seat freely travels back and forth upon acceleration or braking (dangerous and painful). Dodge has told me that they do not care. Their very high up management has told me that the safety of one person is not that important to them since there have not been many other complaints. Never again will I buy a Dodge. They do not believe in their product.

Great styling. Great room for driver. Very comfortable to drive. Premium cloth seating is very nice and comfortable. Boxed frame seems sufficiently strong. Relatively quiet and smooth ride.

larger back seat. Fix the EGR system. Beef up the front suspension and steering. Doors howl very loud in a cross-wind. Fix the crummy design of the adjustable bucket seating. Realize that the consumer's safety is very important or payback the American people's money and go out of business.

Real world review, no bias
By jcmalibuboats

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Do not purchase this truck, they die at 62,000 miles. Bought mine new in 2006, maintained a perfect service record, and I was rewarded with nine trips to the dealership over the years for different issues. I am not a "brand" guy and this has no impact on my review, but in the interest of full disclosure I will never by another Daimler Chrysler product again. The dealer service is poor and was nearly a victim of consumer fraud at College Station Lithia Dodge.

Seats

All basic mechanical operation, transmission, driveline seals, bearings on drivetrain and wheels, differential, and transmission filter. If you are a brand guy you will ignore this review anyways, but if you are not, do not make the same mistake that I did. Pay the extra money & get something else

Very reliable buy
By Billy

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck brand new in 2005 and have since put a little over 80,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with the truck, did basic maintenance and she has been extremely reliable to me. I put a flowmaster muffler and a ram air intake and it increased the mpg buy a little also gave that v6 a nice v8 sound.

Interior looks amazing, comfortable seats for a truck, everything is easily accessible. Love the design of exterior, people definitely get out of your way when they see that big grill in their rear views.

Of course, mpg. It is a truck so I didn't expect 20+ mpg but the v8 does get better than the v6, although the v6 has plenty to of power to get up to speed on a highway.

Love it BUT!!
By Robert Szemcsak

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Love this truck. Handling,take off and comfort. I installed a K&N cold air filter and Flow Master Duel muffler-neither helped my gas mileage. The 5 speed auto transmission won't go into over drive until you get above 58 mph-dealer says not enough torque. So I get about 11.5 mpg city and 15.5 highway it came with 17" rims not 20"--BUT I DO LOVE THIS TRUCK. It's fun to drive and the grand kids love to ride in it. Just wish the MPG was better and Trans shifted smoother. But I plan to keep it.

It has plenty of room inside-good visibility and great handling--just fun to drive.

How to improve MPG and Trans shifting