Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

i wish....
By ultramark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

CONS-Poor build quality for the 3.7L, The bearings are Aluminum :( -also the gauges are practically dummy gauges, oil pressure gauge reads "normal", even if low pressure is going on. Very disappointed to find "spun" AL bearings, when the oil gauge read normal, >>"Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is about 6 psi (very low) or lower, the check gauges indicator will be illuminated.", otherwise reads "normal" = your engine might already be already destroyed, (mine 100k), the 3.7 rebuild is almost as expensive as a Hemi & about 1000$ more than 4.7 ect. Very disappointed to find oil sludging was an issue with the vehicle as well.

Favorite Features

PROS-Price, good looks & ride, spacious interior, fair towing ability, good abs brakes (not std), 2wd

Suggested Improvements

Real gauges are needed for oil (cause of Aluminium parts) and temp (Aluminium heads), the CD player as others have commented upon, randomly does not work. (ended up swapping it out), never got over 17mpg ever. usually 15-16mpg. The oil seals are not very good, tried using synthetic oil and it leaked badly.

My Ram
By Mark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I own a 2005 Dodge Ram with a 3.7 V6 with an automatic transmission. I have 61,000 miles and there is absolutely nothing wrong with my truck, well except for the factory cd player which only takes a few of my cd's and spits the rest out. I wish I could have gotten a quad cab with a V8 but I got a good deal on this one. I was skeptical about the small V6 but it is plenty capable of getting around. I have driven the V8's and the power difference is noticeable but all I really care about is reliability. The ride is a bit more lively due to the short WB but it feels solid. The brakes are outstanding. The Ram is the best Truck nowadays and if you're considering one, trust me- V8 is a must!!

Favorite Features

Looks, gauges, reliability, sound system, size, color (bright red), brakes, customizability, interior door openers.

Suggested Improvements

Better cd player, better mileage (although this has already been addressed in 09)

Very reliable buy
By Billy

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck brand new in 2005 and have since put a little over 80,000 miles on it. I have never had any problems with the truck, did basic maintenance and she has been extremely reliable to me. I put a flowmaster muffler and a ram air intake and it increased the mpg buy a little also gave that v6 a nice v8 sound.

Favorite Features

Interior looks amazing, comfortable seats for a truck, everything is easily accessible. Love the design of exterior, people definitely get out of your way when they see that big grill in their rear views.

Suggested Improvements

Of course, mpg. It is a truck so I didn't expect 20+ mpg but the v8 does get better than the v6, although the v6 has plenty to of power to get up to speed on a highway.

Big and Nice
By demac

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

Bought because of the dealer price break. Sticker price 21,800 price paid 15,500. Nice after putting work into truck, new rims, new hood, droped the back. The qulity of the bed doesn't seem that great put a dent in the bed with a smaller bass amp.

Favorite Features

Body Shape

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage is pretty bad

Mighty Ram!
By Mike

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I have had the truck for about 8 months now, and I really love it. I have the 3.7 V6 with the automatic transmission, and it gets a solid 20 mpg! I love the looks of the truck, and I think it is a very solid vehicle. I would buy another one tomorrow! They only hauling I do with it, is my quad. I dont do any towing. if you were going to use the truck for towing, I would recommend the 4.7 V8. Other than that, get the V6 and save some dough! Great truck!

Favorite Features

Exterior design. White face gauges. Chrome wheels. Excellent gas mileage for a full size truck.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see the storage compartment in the arm rest be standard. The truck needs more areas of storage.