Used 2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Most Helpful|
Just RAM it!
By tvilla

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

My first dodge and its an 05 ram HEMI 4x4 quad cab w/20's. The power is awesome. Got this ram with 59k miles and now have 111000. It has been flawless. It has taken me anywhere I have wanted to go. I have traveled and slept in it many times so it is very comfortable. Was moving from Tx to Az with a camper shell. So I packed it out as much as would fit. Put my wifes 4000 pound car on a tow dolly and packed it out .. I still did 75 mph and sometimes 80. It runs and idles so smooth you'd think it was brand new! Even w/o dual exhaust it still roars when you get on it. And its quiet when you don't.

Favorite Features

My favorite features is the Hemi. The gas mileage is not even that bad for something that has so much power. The power still surprises me when I jump on it and it throws me back. And the 4x4 has gotten me out of being stranded in snow storms on a few occasions.

Suggested Improvements

As far as improvements the back seat could of used more room and if it would've fit my budget I would have got a mega-cab.

My new to me Ram 1500
By Hot Pockets

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

I wanted to get back into a truck, so I started researching different trucks online. I've had 3 Ford's, 2 Chevy's, 2 Jeep's and 1 Nissan Frontier. I'm really a Ford guy, but their gas mileage stinks! Dodge's popped up and I saw that they get better gas mileage than my Grand Cherokee. I've had my '05 1500 for a week now and I love it. I got the Hemi and the gas mileage is actually pretty good. My Dad is a Die-hard Ford guy and just bought a brand new F150 and now wants to trade it in for a Ram because he likes mine so much. I test drove a few 4.7L Ram's and if you really are looking for the best gas mileage out of any trucks, that's the one to get. It's not the same as the Hemi, but it'll go!

Favorite Features

Just as roomy as the Ford's and way more roomy than the Chevy's. The performance (speed & handling). The look of the truck.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I would suggest is level the front end from the factory.

i wish....
By ultramark

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

CONS-Poor build quality for the 3.7L, The bearings are Aluminum :( -also the gauges are practically dummy gauges, oil pressure gauge reads "normal", even if low pressure is going on. Very disappointed to find "spun" AL bearings, when the oil gauge read normal, >>"Each time the cluster receives a message from the PCM or ECM indicating the engine oil pressure is about 6 psi (very low) or lower, the check gauges indicator will be illuminated.", otherwise reads "normal" = your engine might already be already destroyed, (mine 100k), the 3.7 rebuild is almost as expensive as a Hemi & about 1000$ more than 4.7 ect. Very disappointed to find oil sludging was an issue with the vehicle as well.

Favorite Features

PROS-Price, good looks & ride, spacious interior, fair towing ability, good abs brakes (not std), 2wd

Suggested Improvements

Real gauges are needed for oil (cause of Aluminium parts) and temp (Aluminium heads), the CD player as others have commented upon, randomly does not work. (ended up swapping it out), never got over 17mpg ever. usually 15-16mpg. The oil seals are not very good, tried using synthetic oil and it leaked badly.

Real world review, no bias
By jcmalibuboats

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 6M)

Do not purchase this truck, they die at 62,000 miles. Bought mine new in 2006, maintained a perfect service record, and I was rewarded with nine trips to the dealership over the years for different issues. I am not a "brand" guy and this has no impact on my review, but in the interest of full disclosure I will never by another Daimler Chrysler product again. The dealer service is poor and was nearly a victim of consumer fraud at College Station Lithia Dodge.

Favorite Features

Seats

Suggested Improvements

All basic mechanical operation, transmission, driveline seals, bearings on drivetrain and wheels, differential, and transmission filter. If you are a brand guy you will ignore this review anyways, but if you are not, do not make the same mistake that I did. Pay the extra money & get something else

it sucks the gas
By 05Ram1500

2005 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 6M)

I bought this truck with the 6 cylinder because I thought the mileage would be nice. I am getting 14 city and the best so far 16.5 Highway. If I run the the gas gauge to empty it cost 86 bucks to fill up at 3.20 a gallon. The towing rating for this 4 door 3.7L 6M truck is only 3500 pounds. I have to shift gears at at least 2750 RPM or I get passed by dump trucks when accelerating from a dead stop. My little SUV gets better mileage, tows more, and has an extra 75 horsepower. I should have got the HEMI!

Favorite Features

Very Reliable and it looks nice.

Suggested Improvements

I do not think they should offer a 3.7L, 215HP, v6 to move a 5200 pound truck. Dodge needs to make this base truck more efficient.