1.5 yrs still love it QC 5.7 SLT 4x4
By Wayne on
2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)
Pros: -Great Engine! owned a 94 ram 5.2L, after this the 5.7L was incredible. After 2 yrs of driving and hauling more than I should the engine never even breaks a sweat. A 3/4 engine in a 1/2 ton. Tow/Haul mode is a + -Interior front has plenty of storage and works as it should, back seats have plenty of leg room and the fold out flat cargo "platforms" under the flip up seats are genius. -The quad cab deserves it's own comment because although it's not a true crew cab I'll never go back to not having 4 fully opening doors. Personally, I wouldn't want anything with bigger rear doors. Con: -The rear suspension is lacking when paired with the 5.7L (I upgraded with air) -No rear limited slip.
Favorite Features
-5.7L Hemi (never wanting for power) -Quad Cab (no ext cab should be without 4 "normal" doors) -Fold up rear seats. -Fold Flat rear cargo area. -4x4 (it has always worked like a pro when I needed it, which is often in MN) -Reliability. I've replaced a few parts, but most has been reg. maintenance.
Suggested Improvements
-A standard limited slip rear diff would be great. Leaving a stop in snow/ice is a slow affair without the truck in 4x4. -Rear suspension seems set up for the 4.7. The 5.7 has so much power, using Tow/Haul mode the truck could carry so much more. I upgraded (air lift) and now I haul whatever I want