Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Love My Truck
By stoppermr

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Very reliable truck. Have had to do only normal maintenance. If you want horsepower and looks this is the truck. If you want a girls truck I would try the F-150. I've had some people try their luck against the Hemi and all they have seen is my bumper as I pull away. What a great feeling. Will always have a Ram.

Hemi and the strong looks.

None.

4.7 bad motors
By tyler

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love the Dodge style and ride but the 4.7 is a horrible motor. I have replaced 2 on my truck that only has 119,000 miles. After talking to techs at dealerships and looking online I see that Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler have had many problems with this motor. I will never make a purchase of any vehicle with this motor again.

look and the drive

change the 4.7 back to the 5.2, the 318

1.5 yrs still love it QC 5.7 SLT 4x4
By Wayne

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Pros: -Great Engine! owned a 94 ram 5.2L, after this the 5.7L was incredible. After 2 yrs of driving and hauling more than I should the engine never even breaks a sweat. A 3/4 engine in a 1/2 ton. Tow/Haul mode is a + -Interior front has plenty of storage and works as it should, back seats have plenty of leg room and the fold out flat cargo "platforms" under the flip up seats are genius. -The quad cab deserves it's own comment because although it's not a true crew cab I'll never go back to not having 4 fully opening doors. Personally, I wouldn't want anything with bigger rear doors. Con: -The rear suspension is lacking when paired with the 5.7L (I upgraded with air) -No rear limited slip.

-5.7L Hemi (never wanting for power) -Quad Cab (no ext cab should be without 4 "normal" doors) -Fold up rear seats. -Fold Flat rear cargo area. -4x4 (it has always worked like a pro when I needed it, which is often in MN) -Reliability. I've replaced a few parts, but most has been reg. maintenance.

-A standard limited slip rear diff would be great. Leaving a stop in snow/ice is a slow affair without the truck in 4x4. -Rear suspension seems set up for the 4.7. The 5.7 has so much power, using Tow/Haul mode the truck could carry so much more. I upgraded (air lift) and now I haul whatever I want

2004 DODGE RAM 1500
By AZRAMBO

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The truck is a good truck dependable, nice looking, except it just barely reached 70,000 miles and just was told transmission needs to be rebuilt. Apparently this happens alot with Dodge trucks. The company that told me about the tranny has been in business 37 years and very reputable. Don't use truck for really anything than driving to and from work so it's not used often. To have tranny issues already is messed up. Other than that no other issues it's just the 1 issue is major and very expensive. Don't think I would be buying a Dodge again, unless the warranty holds up... checking on that now.

Body Style smooth ride/ dependable up to 70,000 miles

Build better/stronger transmission

Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 Magnum SLT 4wD
By Greg Lee

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is an excellent truck. It is everything a truck should be; it's fast, looks great, and is better on gas than some believe. I'm getting at least 18 miles to the gallon. As you may know, the Hemi kicks in after 35mph,saving in some gas, not a lot, but savings is savings. Older model but it is a great vehicle. Great truck!

The look, size and power of this truck.

Just a little better gas mileage if possible.