Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
great truck all around
By jfin

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love this truck, just bought it a month ago and have already put 5000 miles on it, it rides great other than the seats that have no lumbar support. It has a gas sipping v-6 which by no means is slow, in fact I have outrun a 5.3 liter Chevy with it... And no one believes me. Oh well! It made a two hour drive to Austin and from there a 12 hour drive to Nashville! Not a problem whatsoever! It has the best air conditioner of any vehicle I have ever owned let alone been inside and this is vehicle number 11 for me! I cant think of much more about this truck because its a base model and didn't come with much, the only problem is during extreme rain it leaks under the dash a bit but I have vinyl floors

Favorite Features

gas mileage i average 15-17 in the city and 19-21 on highway,sound system and most of all the vinyl floors because i had a friend recently who neglected to tell me he gets car sick..

Suggested Improvements

Give it more torque, it seems to have trouble with mountains... Make sure to fix the wiper crowl I'm sure people don't want their carpet ruined... Oh and give the base seats some lumbar support, I had to buy a seat cover with a pad on it and everyone said I was anti Dodge because it had a Ford logo on it

Not bad for a Dodge
By David

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My first dodge since my parents had a aspen. Bought it used with 23,000 now showing 56,000 and have no problems with the truck. I replacing the plugs after 20,000 and found it easy to do. Flushed all fluids and again it not expensive to do. Fit and finish is fine for a truck. Seats a little flat but do work and easy to keep clean. Plastic hard but easy to clean. Not a perfect truck but those thinking none American companies can do better they can not. Owned a toy and a kia and traded them for Ford and Dodge. Read owners manual and keep up on the maintenance and found that these truck are pretty good. Now thinking of replacing the Ford with a Charger. Most reviews are good.

Favorite Features

4.7 is a good mix of power and economy. I'm averaging 17 combine highway city driving. Smooth riding and good brakes. Easy repairs that I can do most myself. Dodge keeps the interior simple and clean a plus in my book. Four rotors even on the st trim, like mine.

Suggested Improvements

Wish I had four wheel ABS and not two. Both time my front wheels locked where panic stops on the rain. Mechanical engine fan when engaged takes the power out of the 4.7. Like many, switching to all electrical fan setup solved that. Paint is easy to chip

Still happy with my truck after 2 years.
By RamRobStL

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

No real complaints, bought it to use as a light duty truck and in that respect it works flawlessly. A bit unhappy with Dodge's claims about the gas mileage, I see nowhere near 21 on the highway, more like 14-15, but I did not buy it solely for the gas mileage.

Favorite Features

The outside styling, love the look of the Ram.

Suggested Improvements

Hey Dodge, why not drop a small diesel into the 1500 Ram? Use the one from the Liberty. Improved gas mileage, improved towing and an already proven drive train. Sounds like a no-brainer to me!

4.7 bad motors
By tyler

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love the Dodge style and ride but the 4.7 is a horrible motor. I have replaced 2 on my truck that only has 119,000 miles. After talking to techs at dealerships and looking online I see that Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler have had many problems with this motor. I will never make a purchase of any vehicle with this motor again.

Favorite Features

look and the drive

Suggested Improvements

change the 4.7 back to the 5.2, the 318

All Around Great Truck
By JJ

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought the truck with the 5.7L Hemi and gas mileage is great. Getting between 18.5 and 19.9 miles per gallon highway driving between 60-65 mph. Climb any hill with ease and power to spare. With 55000 miles on the original tires I still have substantial tread wear remaining on the original tires, never had a vehicle with this attribute including Toyotas and Ford pickup trucks

Favorite Features

Hemi performance and cab space

Suggested Improvements

Down side is cost of doing manufacturers suggested maintenance. At 30000 miles cost is $800