Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews - 66 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Unstoppable
By Albert

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Laramie Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I've had this truck for many years and have used it in deep snow, sand, and mud and nothing has stopped it. Mine is RWD only and it was pulling 4x4s out of sand and ditches no problem. My only complaints are the cheap looking interior and the bad mpg. Unless you need it as a daily driver for a long commute I'd definitely pick this any day. It's better looking than many other tucks in its time but is no slouch. Good for towing and hauling. Throw a dual exhaust on it and it sounds beautiful.

4.7 bad motors
By tyler

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love the Dodge style and ride but the 4.7 is a horrible motor. I have replaced 2 on my truck that only has 119,000 miles. After talking to techs at dealerships and looking online I see that Dodge, Jeep, Chrysler have had many problems with this motor. I will never make a purchase of any vehicle with this motor again.

look and the drive

change the 4.7 back to the 5.2, the 318

2004 DODGE RAM 1500
By AZRAMBO

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The truck is a good truck dependable, nice looking, except it just barely reached 70,000 miles and just was told transmission needs to be rebuilt. Apparently this happens alot with Dodge trucks. The company that told me about the tranny has been in business 37 years and very reputable. Don't use truck for really anything than driving to and from work so it's not used often. To have tranny issues already is messed up. Other than that no other issues it's just the 1 issue is major and very expensive. Don't think I would be buying a Dodge again, unless the warranty holds up... checking on that now.

Body Style smooth ride/ dependable up to 70,000 miles

Build better/stronger transmission

Not bad for a Dodge
By David

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My first dodge since my parents had a aspen. Bought it used with 23,000 now showing 56,000 and have no problems with the truck. I replacing the plugs after 20,000 and found it easy to do. Flushed all fluids and again it not expensive to do. Fit and finish is fine for a truck. Seats a little flat but do work and easy to keep clean. Plastic hard but easy to clean. Not a perfect truck but those thinking none American companies can do better they can not. Owned a toy and a kia and traded them for Ford and Dodge. Read owners manual and keep up on the maintenance and found that these truck are pretty good. Now thinking of replacing the Ford with a Charger. Most reviews are good.

4.7 is a good mix of power and economy. I'm averaging 17 combine highway city driving. Smooth riding and good brakes. Easy repairs that I can do most myself. Dodge keeps the interior simple and clean a plus in my book. Four rotors even on the st trim, like mine.

Wish I had four wheel ABS and not two. Both time my front wheels locked where panic stops on the rain. Mechanical engine fan when engaged takes the power out of the 4.7. Like many, switching to all electrical fan setup solved that. Paint is easy to chip

Can take a beating
By USMCsmash

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab Laramie 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

I bought the vehicle with 14000 miles on it. I was stationed at Camp Lejeune, NC, and I took it home to Atlanta every holiday I could. I beat the crap out of this truck, in the mud, WOT almost everywhere I went, music up all the way, in the mud, on the drag...er...highway, I was ROUGH on this thing. I had very few problems. The speaker on the driver door stopped working (probably my fault), and the tranny is starting to hesitate right after startup, but that goes away in 30 sec. All in all, this truck has treated me very well. It's never left me stuck, and though I still tromp on it (especially after adding CAI and exhaust) it is still very much alive and kicking after 114,000 miles.

HEMI, Off-road package suspension, tow/haul mode, 6-disc changer... Did I say Hemi?

Though Dodge seems to have improved the design of this truck tremendously, does a 2009 Ram REALLY need to cost 50,000!?!?!?!?