Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Ram Tough
By Fred G Wilson

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Trucks are not just for guys. We girls drive them too. I bought my Ram used with 53,000mi and have over 183.000 on it and still going. As a nurse I depend on my Ram in bad weather to get me to and from work because we don't get snow days. As a horse owner I trust my Ram to pull my horses safely to where ever I am going. Compared to my parents Sierra, I don't even know I have a horse trailer behind me with the Ram. With the Sierra it moans and groans. On the farm I use it to haul seed during planting season, firewood when cutting up trees and whatever else comes along. With wear and tear I have had to replace things. But when I buy again it will be a RAM!!!

Favorite Features

Transmission, when pulling heavy loads the Ram never hesitates or acts like it is having a tough time. With the Hemi engine I even pulled a Chevy HD out of the mud without 4X4 and my Ram never hesitates or even spun a tire. The Chevy owner was a little embarrassed. I also like the Infinity sound system and the ride!! I have had to take a few of the coworkers home in my Ram and they just go on and on about how nice of a ride my truck is and they can't believe a truck would ride.

Suggested Improvements

Cooling and heating for the floor especially the drivers side. It seems to want to go mainly up to defrost and not much on the feet. I believe the transmission has been improved since the 04, but would love to see Ram have the best transmission around. Improving gas mileage. I already get on an average 18mpg highway and 14-15mpg in town. I drive 100 miles a day and would love to have better gas mileage.

Ok-ok:(-:)
By ram4x490

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Where to start. I bought the truck with 89k miles on it...at 90k the rear end started to leak that was lil expensive. I had windsheild whiper problems twice where they conect one would pop off one wone would work. the clutch went out at 100k(i dont do burn outs i baby my truck-never pulled huge load) that was liek 1500$$ i love hate it the driver side rear break light works of adn on...tho when i drive the manaul 5spd 4.& V8 with the 30 series flowmsater I sit back and wonder if i coudl ever get Rid of mt truck i love the manuls:) the egine it slef is ok power rusn great i get 20MPG highway if i baby it but uslay 17-18 adn 14-15 city....in all honesty i would say go with a ford MABE chevy.

Favorite Features

manual

Suggested Improvements

beter trans (shoudl not go out at 100k)

lemon
By ramhater

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

i have an o4 dodge with 78k original miles, i just spun a rod bearing and dodge refuses to assist in any way meaning time for a new motor at my cost. i have had more warranty work done in the past than probably any vehicle should have, the had to fix leaking rear end, transmission failure, and replace both exhaust manifolds at the motor. my ball joints are also shot and my transmission is leaking at the yoke. i will never purchase another dodge again and i will recommend the same for anyone i meet. they were completely unhelpful at corporation when it came to warranty assistance. BUYER BE WARE!

Dodge Ram 1500 Hemi 5.7 Magnum SLT 4wD
By Greg Lee

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is an excellent truck. It is everything a truck should be; it's fast, looks great, and is better on gas than some believe. I'm getting at least 18 miles to the gallon. As you may know, the Hemi kicks in after 35mph,saving in some gas, not a lot, but savings is savings. Older model but it is a great vehicle. Great truck!

Favorite Features

The look, size and power of this truck.

Suggested Improvements

Just a little better gas mileage if possible.

LOVE My Truck! You Will Too...
By Jill

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I never thought I'd drive a truck but bought the SLT 5.7L HEMI after renting one to tow motorcycles. I absolutely love it! It's so incredibly comfortable inside, and you feel like king of the road when you drive it. I have NEVER had mechanical problems with my truck. It has been very dependable and I always enjoy driving it. Yes, the engine's loud - don't get a HEMI if you don't like it. That's where the power is. No, it doesn't handle bumps well - don't buy a truck if you don't want it to drive like a truck - just hit them slowly and head on. Fuel efficiency is not impressive - we all know that - take the bus to work. If that's not your objective, this is your truck. Don't miss out

Favorite Features

It looks tough, rides well. Great engine. Love the huge arm rest/storage/table-top in the front seat. Back seats fold up for interior storage. You can't beat a pick-up for hauling mulch, moving, etc.

Suggested Improvements

Could we squeeze a few extra mpg from it? Takes 2-3 tries to park it squarely in a parking space.