Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Talk About an Impulse Buy
By 3ric

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

After leaving Lowe's one day without the ladder I needed, I decided I had to have a truck. Traded in my baby would- be-paid-off-in-a-month Grand Prix for a Silver Hemi Ram. Everything I could ever want in a truck, and more. After hauling 3 things 4 miles in 2 months, and dropping twice as much on gas, I came to the frightening realization that I had made a mistake. I don't NEED a truck. Unfortunately, neither does anyone else, so I'm stuck and more upside down than a cake. Don't get me wrong, the truck is hot and fun (in a straight line), but I feel trapped.

Favorite Features

LOOKS! Sport trim, aluminum grille, 20" chrome rims, POWER, solid interior, sweet exhaust note, fog lights. Oh, and did I mention POWER?

Suggested Improvements

The stiff and bumpy ride gets old fast, and is SCARY if you hit a bump going more than 40mph. gas mileage. I know it's 345hp, but 13 mpg highway is atrocious! Add some color to the interior. Infinity sound is a joke.

Brakes Bad
By Terry

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The front brakes have been bad since 5100 miles. I turned rotors, replaced rotors ar 12136 miles and now it has 24000 miles and I still have the same warping on front rotors, The dealership has now decided I drive the truck too hard and they now want ot charge me $180 to turn rotors that only have 12,000 miles on them. Never buy another Chrysler product.

Suggested Improvements

Better brakes

Great truck but it's thirsty
By bh862

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The truck is great. Plenty of power and it's a good looking truck. The HEMI engine is thirsty, though. People say I get good mileage at 15-16 but EPA estimated it to be higher.

Favorite Features

HEMI engine, trip computer

Suggested Improvements

better fuel mileage

Dodge RAM
By motorola

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

After 20 years of loyal Ford ownership, I decieded to take a look at other truck manufacturers because I just didn't like the look of the new regular cab f-150. Decieted on Dodge over GMC/Chevrolet after test driving all three. The interior of the Ram feels much more spacious than the other two, which is good because I'm a big boy (6'3", 280lbs). I also like the agressive exterior looks. The Ram just looks mean. Besides the good looks, what really sold me was the power of the HEMI engine and the way the Ram handles. For such a big truck this thing can is quite nimble and it also has great breaking ability.

Favorite Features

Besides the usual (great looks, and HEMI engine), my favorite feature is the way this truck handles. The steering is efforless and responsive.

Suggested Improvements

I think one area that Dodge may be losing customers is for the extended cab market. Even though I was in the market for the regular cab, I know some people want the extended cab, w/0 going as far as the quad cab.

The Best!
By wnorman1192

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is by far the best truck that I have ever owned! The truck is very fun to drive, and the hemi engine is amazing. The brakes have excellent stopping power and feel, as they are the biggest in the trucks class. Build quality is great, and the cab is very roomy. Fuel mileage is better than I expected on the highway, and ok around town if you can keep your foot out of it!

Favorite Features

HEMI Engine, exterior styling, brakes.

Suggested Improvements

Computer could be tuned for firmer shifts, multi displacement system borrowed from 300C for near class leading fuel economy would make a near- perfect package.