Used 2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Ram Tough
By Fred G Wilson

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Trucks are not just for guys. We girls drive them too. I bought my Ram used with 53,000mi and have over 183.000 on it and still going. As a nurse I depend on my Ram in bad weather to get me to and from work because we don't get snow days. As a horse owner I trust my Ram to pull my horses safely to where ever I am going. Compared to my parents Sierra, I don't even know I have a horse trailer behind me with the Ram. With the Sierra it moans and groans. On the farm I use it to haul seed during planting season, firewood when cutting up trees and whatever else comes along. With wear and tear I have had to replace things. But when I buy again it will be a RAM!!!

Transmission, when pulling heavy loads the Ram never hesitates or acts like it is having a tough time. With the Hemi engine I even pulled a Chevy HD out of the mud without 4X4 and my Ram never hesitates or even spun a tire. The Chevy owner was a little embarrassed. I also like the Infinity sound system and the ride!! I have had to take a few of the coworkers home in my Ram and they just go on and on about how nice of a ride my truck is and they can't believe a truck would ride.

Cooling and heating for the floor especially the drivers side. It seems to want to go mainly up to defrost and not much on the feet. I believe the transmission has been improved since the 04, but would love to see Ram have the best transmission around. Improving gas mileage. I already get on an average 18mpg highway and 14-15mpg in town. I drive 100 miles a day and would love to have better gas mileage.

Ok-ok:(-:)
By ram4x490

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Where to start. I bought the truck with 89k miles on it...at 90k the rear end started to leak that was lil expensive. I had windsheild whiper problems twice where they conect one would pop off one wone would work. the clutch went out at 100k(i dont do burn outs i baby my truck-never pulled huge load) that was liek 1500$$ i love hate it the driver side rear break light works of adn on...tho when i drive the manaul 5spd 4.& V8 with the 30 series flowmsater I sit back and wonder if i coudl ever get Rid of mt truck i love the manuls:) the egine it slef is ok power rusn great i get 20MPG highway if i baby it but uslay 17-18 adn 14-15 city....in all honesty i would say go with a ford MABE chevy.

manual

beter trans (shoudl not go out at 100k)

It's a good thing that Dodges don't hold their value!
By jwestie85

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab Laramie 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5A)

Seriously... it's a fact. Dodge's DO NOT hold their value compared to, say an F150 or a Sierra, or a Silverado. BUT... This is a good thing because that means you and I can get our hands on a really good, really appealing truck for $1000s less! I've had 3 Dodge's so far, one with a 3.7 V6, one with a 4.7 V8, and one with the 5.7 HEMI V8 (Awesome engine!), and i wished i'd kept all three. Unfortunately i suffer from, "Gotta' have the next thing-itis" and i think it's terminal. All 3 trucks were great, the V6 was really underpowered, the 4.7 was normal, but the HEMI was incredible. Got rid of the HEMI a few months ago and it had 238,000 miles and ran like it had 50k, no lie. I LOVE EM.

HEMI power, Feel like you're the king of the road especially when you're driving a 4x4 Dodge with 35's, I particularly think that this generation Ram is the best looking truck on the road except for maybe the 09 and up

Cheap feeling interior (especially the dash plastic) Suspension is really bumpy, Also, never had a Dodge get good gas mileage at all.

lemon
By ramhater

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

i have an o4 dodge with 78k original miles, i just spun a rod bearing and dodge refuses to assist in any way meaning time for a new motor at my cost. i have had more warranty work done in the past than probably any vehicle should have, the had to fix leaking rear end, transmission failure, and replace both exhaust manifolds at the motor. my ball joints are also shot and my transmission is leaking at the yoke. i will never purchase another dodge again and i will recommend the same for anyone i meet. they were completely unhelpful at corporation when it came to warranty assistance. BUYER BE WARE!

Dodge 2004 SLT 4X4
By chirb

2004 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Great vehicle, plenty of interior space. Smooth Drive. Gas Hog!!!

Lots of interior space, plenty of power, smooth drive.