Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

2003 Dodge Ram SLT Crew Still Strong
By Mike Gonzales

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Since 2003, my Dodge Ram has proven to be strong, reliable and a blast to drive. The engine has performed flawlessly and the entire mechanical structure has held up completely. With only a few internal errors - driver seat lumbar went bad (warranty replaced entire seat - no money out of pocket. The CD player had to be replaced. That is it...everything else has been strong. I even hit a wall with my side mirror and the sound was loud, but when I checked the mirror, it was in perfect shape and no hitch. I love the windshield wipers how they always stop at their close position whenever you turn the wipers off. Other trucks leave the wipers stuck in the window. So much thought in this truck

Favorite Features

A perfect engine. The truck overall style. No other truck like it. Paint holds up to dust, rain, rocks. My Ram is still glossy and shiny black.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, but I do understand it's a truck

It's been a good truck
By travelguy

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck new, now has 144000 miles on it. Very good gas mileage for a large truck - 16 to 19 on the highway depending on the wind. Had to replace the front brake calipers & pads @ 100K - this is a dodge design defect where the calipers hang up and ruin the pads. this is the second Dodge truck I've owned, and both suffered upholstery tears due to sharp edges from the seat frame cutting through the foam padding and through the fabric. If buying a 2WD, get the limited slip differential - it gets you through snow and up slippery boat ramps great. Great truck, but poor interior quality needs to have some attention from the Dodge engineers. Otherwise, buy it right and enjoy.

Favorite Features

Four full doors, 4.7L has ample power for towing a heavy boat, smooth ride, good gas mileage for a large truck.

Suggested Improvements

More comfortable rear seats, better quality seating and design.

Quite a Truck
By Jim O'Rourke

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Laramie Hemi optioned out. Tow package Hemi, 45RFE 5 Speed and 3.92 limited slip, body color bumpers and grill. 20 in. wheels. Gorgeous truck. Sticker price $35,000 +. This has been a great truck. Handles like a sports car, lots of power. Gas mileage 20MPG@55,16- 17MPG@70, In town around 13. But I expected that. In shop once for warped rotors, covered under warranty (7/70 waranty no longer available) Now have a rear end whine and engine ticking noise that are going to be covered under warranty. No other mechanical problems. Transmission shifts perfectly when truck is loaded tentative when without load but that is the way it should be. A beaut with an 8,800lb towing capacity. Would buy again.

Favorite Features

Terrific interior. leather, incredible storage, rear fold flat load floor is awesome Hemi,seats, 6 disc CD player, fog lights,single headlight system is weak but fog lights fill the void, transponder security sytem, handling, 8 way seats both with lumbar adjustment. Just really an awesome truck.

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage (supoposedly done in'06) Better headlights, better quality control for rear end and some engine components. 3/36 warranty indicates Dodge was getting a lot of warranty work claims between new 3/36 month end and the old 7/70 end warranty. Buy a drivetrain warranty to 100,000 to be safe.

Done Right
By TopDawg

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Looks(Wow)...Comfort(Wow)....Performance (Wow) No matter where I go, people complement me on this truck. Black with Larmine Trim and the HEMI! Purchased hard shell for the bed to finish the look. Power. looks and comfort all in one package is unheard of and gas mileage around town with the Hemi is 13, with today's gas price hard but expected.

Favorite Features

Hemi, more power than I thought. Interior has room for anything, including the wife. Overall look is impressive. Power adjust pedals is my wife's favorite.

Suggested Improvements

Multi-disc CD player

I love my Hemi, but...
By joeblow

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought my '03 Hemi new in '03. It has been a marvelous truck. It's been in the dealership twice to replace warped brake rotors and to install new calipers. Dodge has a problem with brakes on these trucks. Mine has 20" wheels, leather, Infinity, Hemi, 4WD, tow package, SLT loaded. The only negative I see is the gas mileage. Has awesome power. Thought about trading truck in on one of these fuel conserving small SUV's but can't bring myself to do it. I guess I'll just keep on paying the high prices for gas.

Favorite Features

HEMI, HEMI, HEMI, love the audio controls on the backside of the steering wheel, love the leather.

Suggested Improvements

I would like to see better tires on the ram. My Goodyear 20" are pretty much worn out at 39K. I would love to get better gas mileage. I'm averaging around 14 overall.