Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Ram-pickup-1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Wheel Fell Off
By Unhappy Customer

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I thought the highway gas mileage at 11 mpg was the worst part of this 4x4 truck until the rear tire broke off the axle while trying to drive over a 6" curb. Then Dodge refused to warranty the vehicle and charge me $3400 to repair the axle. Needless to say, I will never buy a Chrysler product again. My 2002 FORD F350 is a great vehicle.

Favorite Features

The inside features are very well laid out. The body style is attractive. Too bad the vehicle is poorly built and Dodge does not support it's cutomers!

Suggested Improvements

Dodge needs to support it's customers and build a truck a better truck.

What's with the suspension
By Prf66

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

What is going on with the ghetto cruiser electra 225 bouncy suspension? I feel like the truck goes out of control a bit at highway speeds when you hit a bump and it has a mushy non truck like ride. It needs to be tighter more truck like. I feel I have to watch out and keep two hands on the wheel all the time. Yes, I should have test drove it longer, but it seemed so comfortable the 4-5 miles I test drove it. Oh yeah, can you stand not seeing the end of the hood? The wipers are in the way.

Favorite Features

Nice engine exhaust sound, great looks, roomy interior, great power,comfortable interior, nice layout. 4 doors the best power windows and seats.

Suggested Improvements

Tighten up the suspension, get a bigger fuel tank and get the wipers out of the way. Perhaps a 45 degree angle on the arms, feels like you are driving blind to the front.

Fun, fun, fun!
By Red90

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I just bought mine last week, used with 10,000 miles on it. I promptly picked it up and headed out on a road trip to Columbus, OH from Watertown, NY. If you havent driven a truck lately, go test drive this thing! The ride was spectacular! I was worried the seats might be too stiff, but after driving for over 7 hours, my fears had no merit. Great cornering, good suspension (its a bit bouncy over some rough highway) and WOW! What an engine! Mine came with the 5.7 Hemi, and its worth every penny as an extra. The exhaust is enough to get your heart pumping! Only negative that I have to say is the transmission. It likes to shift alot.

Favorite Features

Hemi...cant say enough. Body style is great (grill has me a bit worried, all plastic). Excellent ride.

Suggested Improvements

Smooth the tranny out, it shifts alot. Radio and vent controls a bit of a reach and can be distracting (I'm 6'3, and its still a bit of a reach)

Ride and Gas millage
By Phillip Tuck

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST Rwd LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I traded a ford pick-up in,and the dodge handle great and the fuel milage much is better with my dodge

HEMI? Why, yes it does.
By Snarlin64

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Got the HEMI and love it. Makes the truck quite quick. Standing on the accelerator forces you back into your seat like a catapult launch. Gas mileage is far better than I expected: started at about 14 mpg hwy. Now, with 13,000 miles, I average more than 18. The dark blue gets lots of compliments. Towed a large trailer from Memphis to Boston with ABSOLUTELY no problem. Couldn't even tell I was pulling over 3 tons of crap. GREAT TRUCK!

Favorite Features

HEMI. 345 horses. Also love the thoughtful dash design.

Suggested Improvements

Make the HEMI upgrade more noticeable.