Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews - 185 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Nothing but problems
By sledder77

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I had a 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab ST and was the original owner. Right after 36000 miles the problems were coming every three months. I went through a steering rack, steering lines, steering pump, a/c compressor, two rear ends and a transfer case before it hit 69000 miles. It was fun to drive when it did run but it cost me a fortune to keep her going. The only bright side of the truck was the brakes didn't fail on me. I drove this truck a whole lot easier than my ranger and that took twice the punishment. I am now an owner of a trouble free Silverado and I am much happier with GM than I ever was with Dodge. I vow to never buy another Ram again.

Great Truck
By RReese

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

We have had our pickup since it was brand new. It as nearly 165,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have had no major problems with it. The only things I've had to replace is the battery and the brakes. I put my first set up brake pads on when it had 150,000 miles on it. I would stick with the Hemi. Gas mileage isn't great, but you would expect that with a pickup. I average about 17 MPG. Its a comfortable ride and has lots of power. It also has good visibility and is fun to drive.

Hemi engine, comfort, reliable

Gas mileage

Loved the Truck, But
By Bill Kober

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Truck was great, the small V-8 was more than adequate for my needs. I was aware of the poor gas mileage before buying. Roomy interior,however,wind noise was pronounced at highway speeds. Transmission rebuilt at 46000, tranny problems continued.I would have kept the truck except for these problems. If you are interested in a Dodge,be sure to purchase an extended warranty.

Appearance, interior room, adequate ride, good fit and finish.

Transmission quality. gas mileage, wind noise.

Reliable, but not as good as others
By somewhat satisfied

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall I haven't had any mechanical trouble out of the truck. But on the other hand it could stand alot of improvement. The gas mileage is terrible in the 4.7 liter about 13.5 mpg on average. The handling isn't nearly as good as the chevy's I've driven.The interior quality could have been much better, the dash cracked in three places due to the sun. Which is really my fault but still the Chevy won't crack that easyThe engine has been very reliable it hasn't had to be worked on once but it doesn't have very much power. When you need to pass someone you can mash it and the speedometer barely moves.Been a good truck but when compared to others of this year model dodge should have stepped it up

I love the way the engine sounds with an exhaust system. The outside styling is nice.

More horsepower is a must, better quality dash is needed, and better handling.

Decent truck, needs some work
By Teach

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

A decent truck to drive, handles decently for the size. In four wheel drive, winter driving become a lot of fun, with no issues getting stuck. The interior can use some upgrades, everything is plastic and held together rather poorly from the factory. Cup holder and ashtray are problematic and wont stay up, common issue. The parking brake is also a common issue, failure in springs. Simple, but expensive fix due to labor. Power steering rack and pump known to be weak. My pump failed at 86000miles, and rack at 93000. Truck undrivable without power steering. Bed provides adequate space, and interior is able to fit a full compliment of 6 full grown persons, excluding ashtray and drink holder.

My favorite features are the availability of interior space, a plus with children, and the 4 wheel drive for off road and winter driving. Also a must for "hard" accelerations.

Dodge needs to upgrade the interiors, plastic is not all bad, but things that should stay shut, should stay shut. Driver and passenger front doors interfere with door seal strip when open, causing it to tear, and allowing water into cabin. A redesign is called for.