2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Long live the Hemi
By buddyboy59 on 03/11/13 13:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Purchased my 2003 Slt Quad cab 4X4 used with 77k,now have 92K,replaced the tranny cooling lines and battery,The hemi is awesome,runs flawlessly,tranny strong and smooth,rides like a luxury vehicle,interior is roomy nicely appointed,rather spartan in appearance but its a truck,the hemi is a blast to drive,handles nicely for a nearly 5000 pound truck,no complaints to date,if u want gas mileage buy a 4 banger rice burner!!,in closing,i think its the sharpest truck on the street,unlike the fords and chevys that are a box on wheels,drive a hemi u will be impressed.

our 2003 dodge ram burnt due to electrical problems
By ash_dj on 01/30/13 11:12 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab auto 5.9 loved the truck i am still a fan of dodge they make good looking vehicles.we owned it for 5 yrs.had lots of problems out of it the windows wouldnt roll down missing tranny went out, then we were gonna to drive it let it run for 2 mins went back out and it was on fire. this makes the 4th one i know of that has done this, fire cheif said started in dash with electric.called the dealership and they would not help us.insurance wouldnt cover it either. now it sets in the garage. I now have a 2003 hemi and its haveing elctrical problems same windows radio heater all electrical so we are sending this one back b4 it does the same thing.

Powerful truck, excellent engine, great interior, but there are some things that could change
By loveswedcars25 on 04/22/12 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have been driving this truck for the past three and half months, and all in all, I have to say this is a great truck. The interior is very well built and very comfortable. The exterior is very beautifully built, the truck looks very elegant yet powerful. It can fit in anywhere from the farm to the streets. The stock exhaust note has a very low rumble to it. The truck has a powerful out put when you need it to, but won't scare you senseless when you don't. The gas mileage isn't great, but its a full sized pickup, what do you expect? The only downfall to the entire truck is the transmission. I'd recommend this truck to anyone who is willing to pay the gas and looking for a lot of room.

So happy, we are on our 3rd Ram
By sugabutt on 12/03/11 19:46 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

We had a 2003 Ram single cab, and we were in an accident. My 1 year old was in a rear-facing car seat in the middle, with me and my husband on each side. We all survived without a scratch. The other minivan was totaled. They tried to repair our truck but the sorry repair shop didn't fix it right, so it ended up being totaled. So, we bought the exact same truck, but a Quad cab. Feels very safe in the truck. We have about 150,000 miles on her, and no problems with the engine or tranny. We did have to replace the radiator, heater core, and ball joints, but other then that it hasn't given us any problems. We are selling it now, cause we just got an '09 Ram. Very happy with all 3 of them

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By sporky on 06/15/11 16:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I was pleasantly surprised after owning this vehicle for 8 years that I've had fewer problems than any other car I've owned in my 30+ years of driving. I replaced the alternator as a precaution because a bearing was making noise. That's it. Rotors were changed out under warranty once, but other than that no problems. It is used as a work truck, with hard miles, but it still runs and looks like new. Well built truck. Very solid still. Bad gas mileage but all big trucks have this problem. Average 13 mixed, with a 1500 lb full time load. Great handling truck in my opinion. And I've owned 3 Porsches. Those with brake problems just install aftermarket rotors/pads and be done with it.

Nothing but problems
By sledder77 on 03/19/11 17:20 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I had a 2003 Ram 1500 quad cab ST and was the original owner. Right after 36000 miles the problems were coming every three months. I went through a steering rack, steering lines, steering pump, a/c compressor, two rear ends and a transfer case before it hit 69000 miles. It was fun to drive when it did run but it cost me a fortune to keep her going. The only bright side of the truck was the brakes didn't fail on me. I drove this truck a whole lot easier than my ranger and that took twice the punishment. I am now an owner of a trouble free Silverado and I am much happier with GM than I ever was with Dodge. I vow to never buy another Ram again.

Great Truck
By RReese on 08/18/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

We have had our pickup since it was brand new. It as nearly 165,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have had no major problems with it. The only things I've had to replace is the battery and the brakes. I put my first set up brake pads on when it had 150,000 miles on it. I would stick with the Hemi. Gas mileage isn't great, but you would expect that with a pickup. I average about 17 MPG. Its a comfortable ride and has lots of power. It also has good visibility and is fun to drive.

Loved the Truck, But
By Bill Kober on 12/07/09 04:49 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Truck was great, the small V-8 was more than adequate for my needs. I was aware of the poor gas mileage before buying. Roomy interior,however,wind noise was pronounced at highway speeds. Transmission rebuilt at 46000, tranny problems continued.I would have kept the truck except for these problems. If you are interested in a Dodge,be sure to purchase an extended warranty.

Reliable, but not as good as others
By somewhat satisfied on 06/16/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall I haven't had any mechanical trouble out of the truck. But on the other hand it could stand alot of improvement. The gas mileage is terrible in the 4.7 liter about 13.5 mpg on average. The handling isn't nearly as good as the chevy's I've driven.The interior quality could have been much better, the dash cracked in three places due to the sun. Which is really my fault but still the Chevy won't crack that easyThe engine has been very reliable it hasn't had to be worked on once but it doesn't have very much power. When you need to pass someone you can mash it and the speedometer barely moves.Been a good truck but when compared to others of this year model dodge should have stepped it up

Decent truck, needs some work
By Teach on 05/30/09 20:12 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST Rwd SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

A decent truck to drive, handles decently for the size. In four wheel drive, winter driving become a lot of fun, with no issues getting stuck. The interior can use some upgrades, everything is plastic and held together rather poorly from the factory. Cup holder and ashtray are problematic and wont stay up, common issue. The parking brake is also a common issue, failure in springs. Simple, but expensive fix due to labor. Power steering rack and pump known to be weak. My pump failed at 86000miles, and rack at 93000. Truck undrivable without power steering. Bed provides adequate space, and interior is able to fit a full compliment of 6 full grown persons, excluding ashtray and drink holder.