Used 2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

our 2003 dodge ram burnt due to electrical problems
By ash_dj

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

2003 dodge ram 1500 4x4 quad cab auto 5.9 loved the truck i am still a fan of dodge they make good looking vehicles.we owned it for 5 yrs.had lots of problems out of it the windows wouldnt roll down missing tranny went out, then we were gonna to drive it let it run for 2 mins went back out and it was on fire. this makes the 4th one i know of that has done this, fire cheif said started in dash with electric.called the dealership and they would not help us.insurance wouldnt cover it either. now it sets in the garage. I now have a 2003 hemi and its haveing elctrical problems same windows radio heater all electrical so we are sending this one back b4 it does the same thing.

the truck was very spacious and comfortable. Dodge makes very good looking vehicles but looks wont get you where you need to go. and dodge vehicles dont look too good when they are burnt as everyone i know would say, that has had this same issue.

improve the electrical issues, also to back up their customers when something of this nature happens like i said i know of about 4 people just in my small town that this has happened to and after wards they did not buy another dodge. something as serious as the vehicle burning totally needs to be addrressed by the maker. especially when we pay $30,000 for something. we are very dissatisfied customers.

Long live the hemi
By rick

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Great truck, reliable, i have 123000 on it runs like it did with 23,000 on it. My only issue is with gas prices I cant afford to drive it daily anymore. Good in the snow, great on highway when you need to practice road rage!!

power, power and sexy look chicks dig it!!

gas mileage

Oh, my HEMI!
By askibum02

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is my 3rd pickup, but the first one I bought for the actual utility a pickup afforded. I bought the truck to tow a boat. After much searching and deliberation I settled on the Dodge Hemi. It's looks are still to this date, incredible, and the HEMI, oh, the HEMI. I still get a tingle when I start the truck and it roars to life. The towing unfortunately was mediocre at best, though I am towing pretty close to it's rated 8600# capacity. As far as non towing and hauling it's incredible. My only real complaint would have to be the fuel mileage. I average about 11.5mg now. That kinda hurts the wallet, especially considering gas prices these days.

What else? The HEMI!

More comfortable seats. Better fuel mileage. (Addressed with the '05 and newer MDS.)

Just get the Hemi
By vinny 74

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The truck is good to do what I need. Towing a 4100 lb travel trailer,atv and many loads of sand, gravel and dirt for many landscaping projects. I get 15city/19hwy real world driving with the 4.7l v8 235hp/300lbs torque. now a friend with and identical 1500 ram with 5.7l Hemi gets a real world 12 city 15 highway mpg. Now that said for about five more dollars per fill up his Hemi Ram made circles around the 4.7l in towing and just highway cruising simply put it's like comparing a Viper versus a Neon just no comparison so if you got an extra 20 dollars a month in fuel (my driving habits) just get the Hemi you will not regret it.

Heavy duty tow service pack with tranny/oilcoolers. Fold out tow mirrors w/defrost. Bigger alt battery it does the trick.

With the new Hemi fuel saving feature why bother selling the 4.7l option make Hemi standard in 1500 Rams these trucks work really good

'03 Ram 5.9L V8
By Ross O

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall I'm pleased with the truck. It looks great and has plenty of power on tap. No major problems except an emissions vapor canister which I have to replace. Mine is an early '03 so I still have the old 5.9L 360, but from the Hemi owners I've seen and talked to, I still get better gas mileage!

The looks of the truck and sound of dual exhaust on Magnum power! Interior design is nice as well.

Fuel mileage isn't the greatest even with a K&N air filter, throttle body spacer, and Flowmaster exhaust. I get 13 city 15 highway at best, winter is worse! The transmission on this motor isn't the greatest. Shifts into O/D way to early.