2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Powerful truck, excellent engine, great interior, but there are some things that could change
By loveswedcars25 on 04/22/12 14:39 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I have been driving this truck for the past three and half months, and all in all, I have to say this is a great truck. The interior is very well built and very comfortable. The exterior is very beautifully built, the truck looks very elegant yet powerful. It can fit in anywhere from the farm to the streets. The stock exhaust note has a very low rumble to it. The truck has a powerful out put when you need it to, but won't scare you senseless when you don't. The gas mileage isn't great, but its a full sized pickup, what do you expect? The only downfall to the entire truck is the transmission. I'd recommend this truck to anyone who is willing to pay the gas and looking for a lot of room.

So happy, we are on our 3rd Ram
By sugabutt on 12/03/11 19:46 PM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

We had a 2003 Ram single cab, and we were in an accident. My 1 year old was in a rear-facing car seat in the middle, with me and my husband on each side. We all survived without a scratch. The other minivan was totaled. They tried to repair our truck but the sorry repair shop didn't fix it right, so it ended up being totaled. So, we bought the exact same truck, but a Quad cab. Feels very safe in the truck. We have about 150,000 miles on her, and no problems with the engine or tranny. We did have to replace the radiator, heater core, and ball joints, but other then that it hasn't given us any problems. We are selling it now, cause we just got an '09 Ram. Very happy with all 3 of them

Best vehicle I've ever owned
By sporky on 06/15/11 16:31 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I was pleasantly surprised after owning this vehicle for 8 years that I've had fewer problems than any other car I've owned in my 30+ years of driving. I replaced the alternator as a precaution because a bearing was making noise. That's it. Rotors were changed out under warranty once, but other than that no problems. It is used as a work truck, with hard miles, but it still runs and looks like new. Well built truck. Very solid still. Bad gas mileage but all big trucks have this problem. Average 13 mixed, with a 1500 lb full time load. Great handling truck in my opinion. And I've owned 3 Porsches. Those with brake problems just install aftermarket rotors/pads and be done with it.

Great Truck
By RReese on 08/18/10 13:51 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

We have had our pickup since it was brand new. It as nearly 165,000 miles on it and still runs great. I have had no major problems with it. The only things I've had to replace is the battery and the brakes. I put my first set up brake pads on when it had 150,000 miles on it. I would stick with the Hemi. Gas mileage isn't great, but you would expect that with a pickup. I average about 17 MPG. Its a comfortable ride and has lots of power. It also has good visibility and is fun to drive.

Loved the Truck, But
By Bill Kober on 12/07/09 04:49 AM (PST)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Truck was great, the small V-8 was more than adequate for my needs. I was aware of the poor gas mileage before buying. Roomy interior,however,wind noise was pronounced at highway speeds. Transmission rebuilt at 46000, tranny problems continued.I would have kept the truck except for these problems. If you are interested in a Dodge,be sure to purchase an extended warranty.

Reliable, but not as good as others
By somewhat satisfied on 06/16/09 17:34 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Overall I haven't had any mechanical trouble out of the truck. But on the other hand it could stand alot of improvement. The gas mileage is terrible in the 4.7 liter about 13.5 mpg on average. The handling isn't nearly as good as the chevy's I've driven.The interior quality could have been much better, the dash cracked in three places due to the sun. Which is really my fault but still the Chevy won't crack that easyThe engine has been very reliable it hasn't had to be worked on once but it doesn't have very much power. When you need to pass someone you can mash it and the speedometer barely moves.Been a good truck but when compared to others of this year model dodge should have stepped it up

Disappointment
By sae185628 on 10/06/08 09:29 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This is one of those vehicles I looked forward into purchasing. However, at 3,000 miles, the rotors started warping and the brakes had to be replaced. This occurred every 3,000 miles, take it in for an oil change and get the brakes gone through. I did this six times before I traded off the truck with 18,000 miles on it.

2003 Dodge 1500
By SteveO on 07/24/08 12:11 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of this vehicle, I have only had it for one year now, but this has got to be the best truck I have ever had. I was a little skeptical to buy a used vehicle of any kind with over 50,000 miles on it, but knock on wood the truck has been great. I have upgraded the exterior with a ton of chrome, the design of this truck makes it easy to go a little over board with accessories. I bought some 20" wheels for it just two months ago, upgrade I ever made to it, looks great. I would recommend a Dodge to anyone. The truck was a virgin to pulling anything, never pulled more than it's own weight till just 2 weeks ago, had to load a 1994 Ford Ranger on a car hauler, pulled great.

03 Dodge Ram
By Bill Kober on 07/14/08 12:41 PM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Excellent vehicle, reliable, handles well. The lack of fuel economy 11 mpg around town, 13-14 on highway, with small V-8 is a major problem.

I Love this "THUNDER ROAD" HEMI!
By Keith K. on 04/28/08 10:48 AM (PDT)

2003 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab SLT Rwd SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought her on pure looks alone, while our 2003 Grand Cherokee was in the shop again! Looks, Power and comfort my husband only drives it when it needs to be washed! A few issues though. Needed a new Transmission at 900 miles! Found to be a machining problem internally. Dodge replace it with a new one (Warranty). Also the clear coat on the rims and the aluminum fuel door falling off and corroding after 2 years. Dodge also replaced under warranty. Unfortunately they are doing it again. I average about 11 MPG.