2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Review: If it got 30MPG I'd never buy

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Review

ST Quad Cab (4.7L V8 5-speed Manual 6.3 ft. Bed)

If it got 30MPG I'd never buy another car
By GO PSU on

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Was hesitant to purchase vehicle in June of 2006 with 123K on odometer. However, I have driven it like it was new (trailering and offroading) and it doesn't skip a beat. Though it doesn't deliver awesome acceleration, it will tow up to its capacity without a problem. The only thing that I don't like about the vehicle is the rear end suspension. It does not adequately dampen bumps and the rear end can get squirrelly at both low and high speeds (can be a little unnerving on the highway). Great looking vehicle. Mine is black with the sport package (all black, no chrome) and 20" wheels. I get compliments all the time about how cool my vehicle looks.

Favorite Features

Looks. Trailer towing ability (even with small V8 - imagine the new HEMI is even better at towing). Stereo. It won't out-"bump" an aftermarket system with subs, but it has great low-range response and great highs. Handling on smooth roads (with sport tire/rim/suspension package). Comfy front seats.

Suggested Improvements

Cramped/uncomfortable rear seats for long rides. Though stereo sounds great in front, there's not much sound in back. Rear end handling can border on scary when it doesn't stay straight on bumps. Mileage stinks (9-10 around town and 12.5-14 highway-calculated not on OBC) but hey, it's a truck!