2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Review: Great Truck

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Review

ST Quad Cab (4.7L V8 4x4 5-speed Manual 6.3 ft. Bed)

Great Truck
By Philly Rich on

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased my RAM with 123,000 miles in May 2006 to use it as a workhorse at my first job in residential construction. Lost the job, but kept the truck - and what a great decision it was! This was my first American car (after a honda and a BMW) and I loved the utility. Lots of storage in the cab, great towing power, and the previous owner put a single-pipe flowmaster on it (and it sounded mean). Towed a 4,000lb boat no problem with a full bed of cargo. True workhorse! Only non-wearable part I ever had to replace was the radiator (and it was DEFINITELY a do-it- yourself job). Keep the fluids changed and this truck will treat you well!

Favorite Features

RELIABILITY! Put near 40k miles on this high-mileage vehicle in 1.5 years with no problems! 6 passenger seating capacity (for short trips). Great stereo system. Great utility - better when I installed the velcro tonneau cover that allowed me to have dry bed storage. Rear under-seat storage!

Suggested Improvements

Most truck review sites will have posts that cite poor gas mileage. I hate to follow suit but the best I ever managed with my RAM was 14 MPG (@70mph for 300 mi). The 2001 Chevy Suburban I replaced the RAM with tows 3/4 ton more and gets 14 mpg AROUND TOWN. NEED BETTER MPG FOR THIS SMALL 8- CYL!