Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Love this truck
By Chuckster

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I definitely love my truck. It is quite comfortable except for the long reach to the radio from the driver seat. Plenty of extra creature comforts. Gas mileage is terrible, but it's a Quad Cab V8 5.9L truck. I didnt buy it to be a Toyota Prius. It has hauled and towed everything I have needed it to. Steering does make a funny noise, and just a little slip in the transmission at 60k. I would reccommend it for power over the F150's I've driven and for creature comforts over the Titan from Nissan.

Favorite Features

Aggressive looks and stance! Quad cab for the same price as a Ford extended cab, huge cab room... a man's truck all the way around

Suggested Improvements

Gas Mileage, Mechanical Quality, not reliability. Remote for radio or controls on steering wheel.

One Awesome Dodge!!!
By Darren

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My Dodge Ram is now three years old. I have 49,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was the AC went out, but it was under warranty. I will drive it for at least another three years.. won't trade her until she reaches 100k. This is my daily driver and gas is a pain, but what can you do? I knew the gas would be ugly when I bought it. This is my second Dodge Ram and it's been as worthy as my first.

Favorite Features

None

Suggested Improvements

20" wheels, Magnaflow exhaust

Dodge RAM 1500 - Crow Review
By WCrow59

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Dodge RAM 1500 ST Short Bed pickup in Oct 2002. The truck has been nothing but exceptional. Quality is very good. Acceleration for the 4.7L V-8 allows plenty of speed on the highway. The cab is exceptionally quiet. I like the strong door pillars. The AM/FM Radio Cassette player gave out around 40,000 miles and I had to replace a resistor in the A/C fan at around 30,000 miles. Towing capacity is good for small trailers/tows using the bumper. Suspension is a bit tight...you tend to feel the bumps on the road; enough to remind you this is not your Daddy's sedan. As for looks, this baby is top- notch! Even after 2 1/2 years I get lots of looks from admiring fans.

Favorite Features

The sloping rake of the front end with high engine cover and lots of chrome. It definitely screams "POWER" and looks great.

Suggested Improvements

Beefed up stereo system; lock on the tailgate; more stylish tail lights.

Good pickup
By vroom01ex

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

To those of you looking for a toy- keep looking. This monster is too big to be a toy, especially if your playground is the urban jungle. The truck is managable-the turning radius is good- but at the same time, the enormous mirrors (I have the trailer tow) and wide body make maneuvering in tight spaces difficult. Acceleration from the 5.9 is average at best (esp. on the highway) and gas mileage is subpar. Handling is very good,(I have the 20s), but the ride is terrible. The truck crashes over everything and will change lanes if you don't have two hands on the wheel. All in all, it's a good truck with three bagfulls of character...just know that one of those bags WILL be offensive/bad/annoying.

Favorite Features

I love the seating position, the comfy seats, the effective HVAC, the useful trailer mirrors (no blind spot!), and the ultra-handy shelving in back & cushions in the middle.

Suggested Improvements

There aren't many spaces to easily & quickly store small items. There are only 2 holes in the dash for a cell phone and a wallet, and there really isn't anywhere for change. Auto headlights, a telescoping steering wheel, locking storage, and a fold- flat passenger seat would be nice, too.

Ram Needs Gas Again
By Terminator

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

The ride and looks of this truck are good, especially with the sport package and 20" wheels. Lowered mine 2" front, 4" back. Really makes it stand out. The 5.9L lacks in power and performance. It is a gas hog! 10/City 13/HWG with 2 wheel drive. It's been back to the dealer 7 times for emmission system problems and an entire new front steering rack. Not overly impressed with Dodge trucks mainly due to gas mileage. This was my first & last one. Can't wait to get back to GMC

Favorite Features

Looks good, Infinity Sound system great

Suggested Improvements

The Hemi has helped performance, but not gas mielage. Need to improve on that