Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

If it got 30MPG I'd never buy another car
By GO PSU

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Was hesitant to purchase vehicle in June of 2006 with 123K on odometer. However, I have driven it like it was new (trailering and offroading) and it doesn't skip a beat. Though it doesn't deliver awesome acceleration, it will tow up to its capacity without a problem. The only thing that I don't like about the vehicle is the rear end suspension. It does not adequately dampen bumps and the rear end can get squirrelly at both low and high speeds (can be a little unnerving on the highway). Great looking vehicle. Mine is black with the sport package (all black, no chrome) and 20" wheels. I get compliments all the time about how cool my vehicle looks.

Looks. Trailer towing ability (even with small V8 - imagine the new HEMI is even better at towing). Stereo. It won't out-"bump" an aftermarket system with subs, but it has great low-range response and great highs. Handling on smooth roads (with sport tire/rim/suspension package). Comfy front seats.

Cramped/uncomfortable rear seats for long rides. Though stereo sounds great in front, there's not much sound in back. Rear end handling can border on scary when it doesn't stay straight on bumps. Mileage stinks (9-10 around town and 12.5-14 highway-calculated not on OBC) but hey, it's a truck!

RAM 1500 Durability Problems
By J. Clark

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I bought this truck new and have complied with all maintenance schedules without fail, using a Dodge dealer for all maintenance. I love the truck - when it's not broken. I've had the following failures in the first 88,000 miles - electric fuel pump, instrument cluster, rear axle seals, throttle position sensor, upper left control arm, right tie rod, front anti- sway bar bushings, and right front wheel bearing. Dealer has botched routine front end alignments, exhaust system repairs and front end repairs. Lack of durability/reliability has me looking at a sale/trade.

Interior design is my favorite part of this vehicle - very well designed for function and ergonomics. I also like the balance between load carrying/towing ability, vehicle handling and ride comfort.

Better training for dealership service technicians in diagnostic skills and repairs, better management oversight by service department managers, and better materials/design and build quality in the manufacturing process.

Perfect Vehicle for Me
By Andrew T

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I love this truck because it gives you the ability to haul stuff and/or people. Just this past week we had visitors in town and I can honestly say it fits six adults comfortably. Two days later I used it to haul an entire kitchen worth of cabinets. The 4.7 liter engine is a good trade-off between being powerful enough and economical. A few months ago we drove 1200 miles across country in this truck, it cruises down the highway very comfortably. The truck has about 60k on it and it made the 1200 mile drive home non-stop without trouble.

Factory 20 inch rims. Lower tie-down points in truck bed. Aftermarket exhaust gives the truck a nice purr.

The previous owner was a large man and he wore through the driver's seat cushion foam. It wasn't noticable when I bought it, but when I drive for a while it feels like I'm sitting on a wallet. I just added a seat cushion/cover and now I don't really notice.

You can't beat this Monster
By Matt Cannizzaro

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck last year and have loved it since. Yes it may not be the best gas getter vechicle out there, but come on, it's a truck. It's not a sports car so don't expect it to accelerate like one. Would you buy a Corvette and tow a boat with it? If you want a truck that is all truck, this is the one for you. I have never had one problem out of it, but I change the oil every 3k miles and the air filter every 7.5k miles.

Looks and reliability

None

I'll never have another make of truck...
By Kruser79

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I've made some normal hot-rodding mods to my truck. It can almost run even with a Hemi Q/C, yet now gets 19 MPG on the highway. I love this truck, and can't pry my keister out of the seat (hence the abnormally high miles on it per year). It's reliability is rock-solid, and I can easily drive twelve-hour days or more. I'm a GM convert, and will always have a DCX Ram from here on out.

The cab room! It's huge. The 4.7, while a little thirstier than a Hemi (with similar driving habits), is very responsive to modifications. It also sounds better than any Hemi when it has an opened up exhaust.

Too late, they made them with the '06. Better suspension, even more cab room. But they still need to find the sweet-spot between power and economy when it comes to their engines.