Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

You can't beat this Monster
By Matt Cannizzaro

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased this truck last year and have loved it since. Yes it may not be the best gas getter vechicle out there, but come on, it's a truck. It's not a sports car so don't expect it to accelerate like one. Would you buy a Corvette and tow a boat with it? If you want a truck that is all truck, this is the one for you. I have never had one problem out of it, but I change the oil every 3k miles and the air filter every 7.5k miles.

Looks and reliability

None

I'll never have another make of truck...
By Kruser79

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I've made some normal hot-rodding mods to my truck. It can almost run even with a Hemi Q/C, yet now gets 19 MPG on the highway. I love this truck, and can't pry my keister out of the seat (hence the abnormally high miles on it per year). It's reliability is rock-solid, and I can easily drive twelve-hour days or more. I'm a GM convert, and will always have a DCX Ram from here on out.

The cab room! It's huge. The 4.7, while a little thirstier than a Hemi (with similar driving habits), is very responsive to modifications. It also sounds better than any Hemi when it has an opened up exhaust.

Too late, they made them with the '06. Better suspension, even more cab room. But they still need to find the sweet-spot between power and economy when it comes to their engines.

I love my Dodge truck
By don white

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I love my Dodge truck! I drove my Dodge to Chevy dealers and test drove brand new trucks, but got out and back in my used Dodge truck and drove off so happy. I love all the storage, the head and foot room, the comfort and the ride. The seats fit and adjust perfect to me. I drive 35000 miles a year and wouldn't want to drive any other truck on the market. Mine is four wheel drive and I use it hard. I pull trailers to my construction jobs or race car to the track. It has never let me down. I look forward to my next Dodge truck. On the down side i have had to change one radiator hose , a power steering hose and the rack and pinyon steering unit. Total repairs were less than 600 dollars

Smoothness of the ride

None

Ouch
By alana

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I finally got the opportunity to get a new body style when my '00 Dodge's engine was about to blow and got a decent deal on this '02 SB Quad Cab 4x4. Now, the head light switch has issues and I'm constantly "flashing" people unintentionally. Or, the parking and fog lights are constantly on. Sure I could get the $130 brand spanking new light switch. Then there's the issue of averaging 10 mpg with $3 gas, and a 30 mile commute each way daily. I will probably end up trading this truck in tonight for an Avalanche or Xterra. At least they average 16-18 mpg. Also, there is no real "frame" on this truck. There's a special towing hitch that you have to buy. I'd be scared to tow our Airstream with this.

Center console. Quad Cab. 4x4. Audio is decent.

MPG! Light switch issues. Solid frame.

I love my truck!
By Rob

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Dodge truck. It is fun to drive and is extremely dependable. It always starts on the first or second crank of the ignition, and it handles like a dream. I also love it because it sits up high off the ground so a person can see extremely well. It has a short turning radius, so tight corners are not a problem. Finally, I love its overall appearance. It just looks good!

I like the controls for the cruise control being on the steering wheel. I also like the ignition plug-in anti- theft device. Finally, I like the ample space behind the seats.

I would like to see the front grille made out of something other than plastic because a big rock thrown up by a truck can crack that stuff easily.