Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Dodger for life!
By Paul M.

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased by Ram 1500 "Sport Edition" truck new in 2002. In the six years of ownership and 131,000 miles later, this vehicle has seen the service department just twice - blown fuse and cooling fan. It is by far the most maintenance-free vehicle I have ever owned! The 4.7 liter engine supplies plenty of power for the type of work I do. Personally, with gas prices the way they are, I don't think the much-heralded "Hemi" is worth the money or the sacrifice in gas mileage. I average 16.5 MPG in the city and have reached 19 MPG on the highway with my 4.7. It is as silky-smooth driving as the day I bought it. Selling it is not an option - it is my "toolbox" for life!

Great engine, complete instrumentation, "in-your-face" looks, reliability, huge storage console, extremely roomy for a regular cab

None.

2002 Dodge Ram 1500 4.7
By daveg7

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

It drives very nice and is comfortable. Very room inside. Gas mileage a litte lower than hoped for. Installed a cold air intake and noticed a difference in power and gas mileage has increased 1-2 miles per gallon. Overall very happy with truck.

Bed space. Very roomy inside. Not cramped like other similar trucks.

Fuel economy

King of all Trucks
By glen

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck with only a 1500 dollar rebate.. now they have 6000 dollar rebates. But guess what just finished paying for it and I dont need another vehicle because it is still working great! At the time had a seven year 100,000 mile powertrain..I took the complete warranty ..did use it on the windows and some minor radiator repairs. Now tempted on the lifetime warranty but the gas might prohibit me from keeping it twenty years if I only use it to drive! Still lifetime warranty on a truck is might tempting.. especially since the first one off the line has had so much good reviews and results. 5.9 engine has been great.. wouldnt have a 4.7 if gas was the same.. kudos Dodge.

Looks, ride, power, comfort, and reliability.

Make it run on water.

Won't buy another Dodge
By jlpetty

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I am sure that my taste in automobiles has changed since my purchase of this truck. The truck is acceptable, and that is all. The gas mileage is horrible! Gentle driving 14 mpg on the freeway, but it is 4wd. Reliability is less than spectacular. I have had a few issues with it, including a recall for brake brackets. In all honesty, if I were to buy a truck, I would look at Toyota. Overall, I am disappointed in the truck.

Decent performance. Good looking truck. The 4wd is nice when you really need it.

Seats are extremely uncomfortable, particularly on long drives. Mileage is simply terrible. There has to be a way to get decent power and fuel mileage for a truck. I have never really trusted this vehicle completely, I just question whether it will get me there and back again.

Dodge the Dodge
By jkwcivil

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've read through all the previous reviews of the 2002 Dodge Ram and I was surprised to see so many average 5.0 and higher. My transmission was rebuilt at 20k miles, my dash started to seriously crack at 3-years-old (completely cracked now), the truck can't seem to find a resting idle and the dealership is scratching their heads, wondering, why didn't our first 3 recommendations fix the problem. I know what you're thinking. This guy hasn't followed the regular maintenance schedule. I have, and to the letter specified in the manual. Perhaps I drew the short straw and the new guy worked on my truck at the factory, but I'll never trust a Chrysler product again.

The Linex bed liner that I purchased after market. This stuff is bullet proof and doesn't fade and get gooey like Rhino and others. Also the dash carpet that I purchased after market, because my dash doesn't appear to have been made of UV safe plastic.

A standard 100,000 mile bumper-to- bumper warranty. So the manufacturer is forced to pay for poor quality. Any automobile manufactured in the 21st century should easily go to 100,000 miles with nothing more than recommended maintenance.