Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Never lets me down
By tonybro70

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck 18 months ago at a Dodge dealership as a local trade in. I got it off the back lot before they were able to detail it and hide anything. The 5.9L 360 V8 is very powerful and reliable. I hardly ever lift the hood (just for oil changes). It has an after market Imco dual exhaust and sounds mean. K & N filter. 4x4 works great. Truck handles great in corners even though it has 35" tires. Drives smooth on the highway at high speeds. Fuel economy is decent (15-18) and I don't do any city driving. It'll haul a car on a trailer without any effort. The hard tonneau cover I put on it looks good. I really dig the interior too, heated leather!

The interior is the best part of this truck. Heated leather seats, wood trim, awesome after market sound. (Bumps with the best). Great storage behind the seats, nice carpet (all black), on board computer is helpful. Drives like a luxury car. The exterior design beats Fords and Chevys

You can't ask for better fuel economy in a full size truck, but if you could. I've had no problems with mine but my brother in law has a 2001 with the same engine and had to replace his transmission at 120K. That scared me a little, so I'm watching for bad signs. Nothing to note yet.

Wake up, this truck stinks!
By Saddened by mistake

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My views about this truck changed drastically since I paid it off. I paid the 5 year loan and then all hell broke loose. I guess I was lucky getting 129000 miles on it before having to replace the engine on a 5 1/2 year old truck. Thanks oil sludge prone 4.7L.I next had to replace the fan clutch and radiator at about 6 years old. Now I have to replace the front control module and the power distribution module due to both of them shorting out for no reason. I am one to keep a vehicle beyond the 5 year payoff. I have an 11 year old ford aerostar with 159,000 miles and I have only had to replace an oxygen sensor and one other emmision control valve. With 150,000 miles on my Ram, $5500 since I paid off.

At first I really liked the truck. Although the fuel mileage was about 16mpg on the highway new, after about 2 years it dropped to about 15- 15.5 mpgnow I am lucky to get 14mpg. I know this is a full size truck, but I remember a lot better claims on the sticker. 4WD is nice the few times I have needed it.

Fix problems with oil drainage in engine. Fix problems with the electrical system. Fix the claims on the estimated MPG. Back your product without blaming the consumer for the flaws in your design. No matter what you do, this was my first Dodge and my last Dodge.

Better than the rest..
By glenlo

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Gas prices not withstanding... my paid for truck bought new has given me a great run for the money and I never complain about a warranty item fixed for free. It is true that Dodge never made a vehicle they didn't want to make four engines/trans/trim levels for. One of the reasons the imports seem to have an easier time with repairs. Even here my vehicle is an slt not a plus but the only option is a 4.7 for the slt unless the add for the engine comes up .. The real problem with any vehicle like this is the repair dealer you deal with .. the real survey should be how the dealership handles the problems that are covered. At 80,000 miles my paint on the roof was repainted from Dodge. Thank you ..

Went down a ditch took a fencepost out and with the aid of my westin bullguard lived to tell about it with minor damage. Mostly to my ego..

Well the improvements have been implemented by now. Braking on a truck is always a problem without a load but the ESC addition on the newer trucks is great.. I go a little slower now in the country at night.. P.S. 4wd is not just for snow. Rainy nights also come in handy.

Beautiful Truck, gas guzzler
By shredder

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Sport is a beautiful truck and excellent ride with 20' wheels. Interior is spacious with quality materials, excellent heater and A/C. Short Bed adequate. I have towed up to 3,000 pounds (boats, snow machines, 4- wheelers) with no problems. Works hard when using a truck camper. Horrible gas mileage with 5.9L unleaded. Only 12-13 mpg on highway and can drop to 9 mpg when carrying truck camper.

sport interior/exterior, 20' wheels, comfort and size of cab.

Gas mileage is horrible, finance low gas mileage or upgrade to diesel.

Great Truck!!
By dragontat

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

This truck is AWESOME!! Most comfortable ride in a truck I've ever had. Seats many comfortably. Towing capacity is wonderful.

Smooth ride, towing capacity and comfort.

Have had issues with losing bearings, other than that finding a happier medium on gas mileage..