Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews - 242 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Best I've owned
By Ram3rdGen

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My wife wrecked my front end when she took out most of a guard rail in Kodiak, AK. Without anywhere decent to fix the truck, we were left with waiting until I got transferred to another station to get it fixed. We drove it for a year and even from Alaska to Michigan with the damage and it still performed like a champ. 4600 dollars worth of damage and it still ran beautifully. I have yet to have a single issue with it still today after having it fixed. 4x4 works splendidly, but it does shutter a little bit when accelerating to highway speeds. One of my only complaints. All in all, I would definately purchase another dodge based on this one's reliability.

Interior space, never let me down while off-roading, never had to replace any important components to date.

I do not like the lower front end, dodge should make them level from the factory, the shudder while accelerating to HWY speeds needs to be taken care of. Better MPG would be a plus, I calculated mine at 18MPG stock.

Great Truck
By Philly Rich

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased my RAM with 123,000 miles in May 2006 to use it as a workhorse at my first job in residential construction. Lost the job, but kept the truck - and what a great decision it was! This was my first American car (after a honda and a BMW) and I loved the utility. Lots of storage in the cab, great towing power, and the previous owner put a single-pipe flowmaster on it (and it sounded mean). Towed a 4,000lb boat no problem with a full bed of cargo. True workhorse! Only non-wearable part I ever had to replace was the radiator (and it was DEFINITELY a do-it- yourself job). Keep the fluids changed and this truck will treat you well!

RELIABILITY! Put near 40k miles on this high-mileage vehicle in 1.5 years with no problems! 6 passenger seating capacity (for short trips). Great stereo system. Great utility - better when I installed the velcro tonneau cover that allowed me to have dry bed storage. Rear under-seat storage!

Most truck review sites will have posts that cite poor gas mileage. I hate to follow suit but the best I ever managed with my RAM was 14 MPG (@70mph for 300 mi). The 2001 Chevy Suburban I replaced the RAM with tows 3/4 ton more and gets 14 mpg AROUND TOWN. NEED BETTER MPG FOR THIS SMALL 8- CYL!

Anybody need a good truck?
By MG

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

In the first 10K miles: transmission failure, drive shaft out of balance, bad brake rotors. The 4.7 is underpowered, a gas hog, the ride is rough. So, it sits in the garage a lot, only 40K miles. Looks like brand new. Oh, and my 2003 Town and Country is worse. Any wonder that the US car companies are in trouble?

Never lets me down
By tonybro70

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck 18 months ago at a Dodge dealership as a local trade in. I got it off the back lot before they were able to detail it and hide anything. The 5.9L 360 V8 is very powerful and reliable. I hardly ever lift the hood (just for oil changes). It has an after market Imco dual exhaust and sounds mean. K & N filter. 4x4 works great. Truck handles great in corners even though it has 35" tires. Drives smooth on the highway at high speeds. Fuel economy is decent (15-18) and I don't do any city driving. It'll haul a car on a trailer without any effort. The hard tonneau cover I put on it looks good. I really dig the interior too, heated leather!

The interior is the best part of this truck. Heated leather seats, wood trim, awesome after market sound. (Bumps with the best). Great storage behind the seats, nice carpet (all black), on board computer is helpful. Drives like a luxury car. The exterior design beats Fords and Chevys

You can't ask for better fuel economy in a full size truck, but if you could. I've had no problems with mine but my brother in law has a 2001 with the same engine and had to replace his transmission at 120K. That scared me a little, so I'm watching for bad signs. Nothing to note yet.

Wake up, this truck stinks!
By Saddened by mistake

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My views about this truck changed drastically since I paid it off. I paid the 5 year loan and then all hell broke loose. I guess I was lucky getting 129000 miles on it before having to replace the engine on a 5 1/2 year old truck. Thanks oil sludge prone 4.7L.I next had to replace the fan clutch and radiator at about 6 years old. Now I have to replace the front control module and the power distribution module due to both of them shorting out for no reason. I am one to keep a vehicle beyond the 5 year payoff. I have an 11 year old ford aerostar with 159,000 miles and I have only had to replace an oxygen sensor and one other emmision control valve. With 150,000 miles on my Ram, $5500 since I paid off.

At first I really liked the truck. Although the fuel mileage was about 16mpg on the highway new, after about 2 years it dropped to about 15- 15.5 mpgnow I am lucky to get 14mpg. I know this is a full size truck, but I remember a lot better claims on the sticker. 4WD is nice the few times I have needed it.

Fix problems with oil drainage in engine. Fix problems with the electrical system. Fix the claims on the estimated MPG. Back your product without blaming the consumer for the flaws in your design. No matter what you do, this was my first Dodge and my last Dodge.