2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Good truck but with flaws
By Josh on 01/01/10 16:42 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new and now paid for but the gas mileage is about 16MPG. The dash has cracks all over it after only 5 years. It was realy upsetting that they couldn't have foreseen that. The AC did go out after 5 years too. Just when the warranty was out. I have done all maintenance and there have been no other issues. I haven't even changed the break pads. Overall it's been good but Nissan and Toyota seem to be better these days.

Anybody need a good truck?
By MG on 12/12/08 08:55 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

In the first 10K miles: transmission failure, drive shaft out of balance, bad brake rotors. The 4.7 is underpowered, a gas hog, the ride is rough. So, it sits in the garage a lot, only 40K miles. Looks like brand new. Oh, and my 2003 Town and Country is worse. Any wonder that the US car companies are in trouble?

Never lets me down
By tonybro70 on 11/16/08 05:13 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck 18 months ago at a Dodge dealership as a local trade in. I got it off the back lot before they were able to detail it and hide anything. The 5.9L 360 V8 is very powerful and reliable. I hardly ever lift the hood (just for oil changes). It has an after market Imco dual exhaust and sounds mean. K & N filter. 4x4 works great. Truck handles great in corners even though it has 35" tires. Drives smooth on the highway at high speeds. Fuel economy is decent (15-18) and I don't do any city driving. It'll haul a car on a trailer without any effort. The hard tonneau cover I put on it looks good. I really dig the interior too, heated leather!

Wake up, this truck stinks!
By Saddened by mistake on 11/02/08 22:42 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My views about this truck changed drastically since I paid it off. I paid the 5 year loan and then all hell broke loose. I guess I was lucky getting 129000 miles on it before having to replace the engine on a 5 1/2 year old truck. Thanks oil sludge prone 4.7L.I next had to replace the fan clutch and radiator at about 6 years old. Now I have to replace the front control module and the power distribution module due to both of them shorting out for no reason. I am one to keep a vehicle beyond the 5 year payoff. I have an 11 year old ford aerostar with 159,000 miles and I have only had to replace an oxygen sensor and one other emmision control valve. With 150,000 miles on my Ram, $5500 since I paid off.

Dodger for life!
By Paul M. on 03/27/08 14:06 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased by Ram 1500 "Sport Edition" truck new in 2002. In the six years of ownership and 131,000 miles later, this vehicle has seen the service department just twice - blown fuse and cooling fan. It is by far the most maintenance-free vehicle I have ever owned! The 4.7 liter engine supplies plenty of power for the type of work I do. Personally, with gas prices the way they are, I don't think the much-heralded "Hemi" is worth the money or the sacrifice in gas mileage. I average 16.5 MPG in the city and have reached 19 MPG on the highway with my 4.7. It is as silky-smooth driving as the day I bought it. Selling it is not an option - it is my "toolbox" for life!

Won't buy another Dodge
By jlpetty on 08/04/07 12:05 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I am sure that my taste in automobiles has changed since my purchase of this truck. The truck is acceptable, and that is all. The gas mileage is horrible! Gentle driving 14 mpg on the freeway, but it is 4wd. Reliability is less than spectacular. I have had a few issues with it, including a recall for brake brackets. In all honesty, if I were to buy a truck, I would look at Toyota. Overall, I am disappointed in the truck.

Dodge the Dodge
By jkwcivil on 06/30/07 21:17 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've read through all the previous reviews of the 2002 Dodge Ram and I was surprised to see so many average 5.0 and higher. My transmission was rebuilt at 20k miles, my dash started to seriously crack at 3-years-old (completely cracked now), the truck can't seem to find a resting idle and the dealership is scratching their heads, wondering, why didn't our first 3 recommendations fix the problem. I know what you're thinking. This guy hasn't followed the regular maintenance schedule. I have, and to the letter specified in the manual. Perhaps I drew the short straw and the new guy worked on my truck at the factory, but I'll never trust a Chrysler product again.

I love my truck!
By Rob on 04/14/06 03:33 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Dodge truck. It is fun to drive and is extremely dependable. It always starts on the first or second crank of the ignition, and it handles like a dream. I also love it because it sits up high off the ground so a person can see extremely well. It has a short turning radius, so tight corners are not a problem. Finally, I love its overall appearance. It just looks good!

One Awesome Dodge!!!
By Darren on 04/27/05 21:51 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My Dodge Ram is now three years old. I have 49,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was the AC went out, but it was under warranty. I will drive it for at least another three years.. won't trade her until she reaches 100k. This is my daily driver and gas is a pain, but what can you do? I knew the gas would be ugly when I bought it. This is my second Dodge Ram and it's been as worthy as my first.

Dodge RAM 1500 - Crow Review
By WCrow59 on 04/08/05 20:10 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Dodge RAM 1500 ST Short Bed pickup in Oct 2002. The truck has been nothing but exceptional. Quality is very good. Acceleration for the 4.7L V-8 allows plenty of speed on the highway. The cab is exceptionally quiet. I like the strong door pillars. The AM/FM Radio Cassette player gave out around 40,000 miles and I had to replace a resistor in the A/C fan at around 30,000 miles. Towing capacity is good for small trailers/tows using the bumper. Suspension is a bit tight...you tend to feel the bumps on the road; enough to remind you this is not your Daddy's sedan. As for looks, this baby is top- notch! Even after 2 1/2 years I get lots of looks from admiring fans.