Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Good truck but with flaws
By Josh

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new and now paid for but the gas mileage is about 16MPG. The dash has cracks all over it after only 5 years. It was realy upsetting that they couldn't have foreseen that. The AC did go out after 5 years too. Just when the warranty was out. I have done all maintenance and there have been no other issues. I haven't even changed the break pads. Overall it's been good but Nissan and Toyota seem to be better these days.

Exterior to me has always been great and I like how the console is big and there is some good room behind the seat. Chevy is sorry when it comes to inside space.

Better interior componets and better fuel economy.

Anybody need a good truck?
By MG

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

In the first 10K miles: transmission failure, drive shaft out of balance, bad brake rotors. The 4.7 is underpowered, a gas hog, the ride is rough. So, it sits in the garage a lot, only 40K miles. Looks like brand new. Oh, and my 2003 Town and Country is worse. Any wonder that the US car companies are in trouble?

Never lets me down
By tonybro70

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this truck 18 months ago at a Dodge dealership as a local trade in. I got it off the back lot before they were able to detail it and hide anything. The 5.9L 360 V8 is very powerful and reliable. I hardly ever lift the hood (just for oil changes). It has an after market Imco dual exhaust and sounds mean. K & N filter. 4x4 works great. Truck handles great in corners even though it has 35" tires. Drives smooth on the highway at high speeds. Fuel economy is decent (15-18) and I don't do any city driving. It'll haul a car on a trailer without any effort. The hard tonneau cover I put on it looks good. I really dig the interior too, heated leather!

The interior is the best part of this truck. Heated leather seats, wood trim, awesome after market sound. (Bumps with the best). Great storage behind the seats, nice carpet (all black), on board computer is helpful. Drives like a luxury car. The exterior design beats Fords and Chevys

You can't ask for better fuel economy in a full size truck, but if you could. I've had no problems with mine but my brother in law has a 2001 with the same engine and had to replace his transmission at 120K. That scared me a little, so I'm watching for bad signs. Nothing to note yet.

Wake up, this truck stinks!
By Saddened by mistake

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My views about this truck changed drastically since I paid it off. I paid the 5 year loan and then all hell broke loose. I guess I was lucky getting 129000 miles on it before having to replace the engine on a 5 1/2 year old truck. Thanks oil sludge prone 4.7L.I next had to replace the fan clutch and radiator at about 6 years old. Now I have to replace the front control module and the power distribution module due to both of them shorting out for no reason. I am one to keep a vehicle beyond the 5 year payoff. I have an 11 year old ford aerostar with 159,000 miles and I have only had to replace an oxygen sensor and one other emmision control valve. With 150,000 miles on my Ram, $5500 since I paid off.

At first I really liked the truck. Although the fuel mileage was about 16mpg on the highway new, after about 2 years it dropped to about 15- 15.5 mpgnow I am lucky to get 14mpg. I know this is a full size truck, but I remember a lot better claims on the sticker. 4WD is nice the few times I have needed it.

Fix problems with oil drainage in engine. Fix problems with the electrical system. Fix the claims on the estimated MPG. Back your product without blaming the consumer for the flaws in your design. No matter what you do, this was my first Dodge and my last Dodge.

Dodger for life!
By Paul M.

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I purchased by Ram 1500 "Sport Edition" truck new in 2002. In the six years of ownership and 131,000 miles later, this vehicle has seen the service department just twice - blown fuse and cooling fan. It is by far the most maintenance-free vehicle I have ever owned! The 4.7 liter engine supplies plenty of power for the type of work I do. Personally, with gas prices the way they are, I don't think the much-heralded "Hemi" is worth the money or the sacrifice in gas mileage. I average 16.5 MPG in the city and have reached 19 MPG on the highway with my 4.7. It is as silky-smooth driving as the day I bought it. Selling it is not an option - it is my "toolbox" for life!

Great engine, complete instrumentation, "in-your-face" looks, reliability, huge storage console, extremely roomy for a regular cab

None.