Used 2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 ST Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

Dodge the Dodge
By jkwcivil

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I've read through all the previous reviews of the 2002 Dodge Ram and I was surprised to see so many average 5.0 and higher. My transmission was rebuilt at 20k miles, my dash started to seriously crack at 3-years-old (completely cracked now), the truck can't seem to find a resting idle and the dealership is scratching their heads, wondering, why didn't our first 3 recommendations fix the problem. I know what you're thinking. This guy hasn't followed the regular maintenance schedule. I have, and to the letter specified in the manual. Perhaps I drew the short straw and the new guy worked on my truck at the factory, but I'll never trust a Chrysler product again.

The Linex bed liner that I purchased after market. This stuff is bullet proof and doesn't fade and get gooey like Rhino and others. Also the dash carpet that I purchased after market, because my dash doesn't appear to have been made of UV safe plastic.

A standard 100,000 mile bumper-to- bumper warranty. So the manufacturer is forced to pay for poor quality. Any automobile manufactured in the 21st century should easily go to 100,000 miles with nothing more than recommended maintenance.

I love my truck!
By Rob

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I love my Dodge truck. It is fun to drive and is extremely dependable. It always starts on the first or second crank of the ignition, and it handles like a dream. I also love it because it sits up high off the ground so a person can see extremely well. It has a short turning radius, so tight corners are not a problem. Finally, I love its overall appearance. It just looks good!

I like the controls for the cruise control being on the steering wheel. I also like the ignition plug-in anti- theft device. Finally, I like the ample space behind the seats.

I would like to see the front grille made out of something other than plastic because a big rock thrown up by a truck can crack that stuff easily.

One Awesome Dodge!!!
By Darren

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

My Dodge Ram is now three years old. I have 49,000 miles on it. The only problem I had was the AC went out, but it was under warranty. I will drive it for at least another three years.. won't trade her until she reaches 100k. This is my daily driver and gas is a pain, but what can you do? I knew the gas would be ugly when I bought it. This is my second Dodge Ram and it's been as worthy as my first.

None

20" wheels, Magnaflow exhaust

Dodge RAM 1500 - Crow Review
By WCrow59

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

I bought the Dodge RAM 1500 ST Short Bed pickup in Oct 2002. The truck has been nothing but exceptional. Quality is very good. Acceleration for the 4.7L V-8 allows plenty of speed on the highway. The cab is exceptionally quiet. I like the strong door pillars. The AM/FM Radio Cassette player gave out around 40,000 miles and I had to replace a resistor in the A/C fan at around 30,000 miles. Towing capacity is good for small trailers/tows using the bumper. Suspension is a bit tight...you tend to feel the bumps on the road; enough to remind you this is not your Daddy's sedan. As for looks, this baby is top- notch! Even after 2 1/2 years I get lots of looks from admiring fans.

The sloping rake of the front end with high engine cover and lots of chrome. It definitely screams "POWER" and looks great.

Beefed up stereo system; lock on the tailgate; more stylish tail lights.

Good pickup
By vroom01ex

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

To those of you looking for a toy- keep looking. This monster is too big to be a toy, especially if your playground is the urban jungle. The truck is managable-the turning radius is good- but at the same time, the enormous mirrors (I have the trailer tow) and wide body make maneuvering in tight spaces difficult. Acceleration from the 5.9 is average at best (esp. on the highway) and gas mileage is subpar. Handling is very good,(I have the 20s), but the ride is terrible. The truck crashes over everything and will change lanes if you don't have two hands on the wheel. All in all, it's a good truck with three bagfulls of character...just know that one of those bags WILL be offensive/bad/annoying.

I love the seating position, the comfy seats, the effective HVAC, the useful trailer mirrors (no blind spot!), and the ultra-handy shelving in back & cushions in the middle.

There aren't many spaces to easily & quickly store small items. There are only 2 holes in the dash for a cell phone and a wallet, and there really isn't anywhere for change. Auto headlights, a telescoping steering wheel, locking storage, and a fold- flat passenger seat would be nice, too.