2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
2002 Dodge ram 1500 quad cab 2wd 4.7
By pseals on 03/26/13 11:30 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I am the second owner of my Dodge ram and have owned it for five years. It has the 4.7 liter v8 backed by the 5 speed manual transmission at 140k now. I average 20-21 hwy and 15 in the city. I have the 17 inch stock tires and its 2wd and I follow the maintainance to the book. It pulls our 18 ft travel trailer great at a weight of 3450 lbs loaded and hauling a family of five. I will probably die with this truck as it is very reliable and comfortable and they no longer offer five speed manual transmission which is the best for towing. The dash is simple and the knobs are big and easy to see and read. I also love all the storage under the seats and the flip out shelf in the back. Happy cust.

My first Truck Dodge Ram
By doppel_110 on 01/11/13 17:13 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I still own my dodge ram since 2004, bought it from a salvage dealer main reason it's a salvage title because it auto thief. It had 26k miles and right now has 99k miles and no mechanical problems at all. Recently I only drive it on the weekends and use to work only. But it was my daily truck in my college years and cruise around town. It does have poor mpg I average 11 city and 13 hwy with combine 12 mpg mixed driving. I personally like the 3rd generation design 2002-2009, don't like the new design it resemble to much of Toyota tundra not that I don't like it but it just look alike. I'll try not to sell it no matter how high gas prices is. Is going to be classic soon.

Tank Ram
By doppel_2004 on 06/02/12 19:44 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Been driving this truck for 8 years and still do. It was my first car when I graduate from high school in 2004. My dad bought it from a salvage lot. The only reason it was there cause it was a stolen had the seats, wheels, and stereos. Everything else was there. I love how big it is and with 4.7 V8 love how it sounds. It just has 95,000 miles, mostly from my college days and I now use it for work which is less then 12 miles where I live. So far no mechanical problems. Overall I like this truck and will keep it until I grow old.

Good truck but with flaws
By Josh on 01/01/10 16:42 PM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.7L 6cyl 5M)

Bought it brand new and now paid for but the gas mileage is about 16MPG. The dash has cracks all over it after only 5 years. It was realy upsetting that they couldn't have foreseen that. The AC did go out after 5 years too. Just when the warranty was out. I have done all maintenance and there have been no other issues. I haven't even changed the break pads. Overall it's been good but Nissan and Toyota seem to be better these days.

Reliable truck sorry service
By HVB on 07/25/09 21:58 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Almost immediately after the initial 3/36 warranty the dash cracked in 6 pieces. No problem since I purchased the 10 year/100K warranty. When I took the truck in I was told the dash is not covered since “trim” is not covered. (I don’t feel the entire dash is “trim”). I was also told by the service manager that this is a problem they have never seen before, but they would “see what they could do to help”. The “help” turned out to be replace the dash at $600 each for the two parts! So I contacted Dodge directly and asked what could be done. Next I googled “Dodge truck dash cracks” and discovered this is a widespread problem. The Dodge rep never called back after he promised to.My last Dodge.

Will dodge Dodge now
By HVB on 07/25/09 21:22 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

Almost immediately after the initial 3/36 warranty was up the dash cracked. I’m not talking a small crack the dash looks like a mine field and is actually now in about 6 pieces. No problem since I purchased the 10 year/100K warranty. When I took the truck in I was told the dash is not covered since “trim” is not covered. (I don’t feel the entire dash is “trim”). I was also told by the service manager that this is a problem they have never seen before, but they would “see what they could do to help”. The “help” turned out to be replace the dash with me paying for the parts at $600 each for the two parts! So I contacted Dodge and asked what could be done I googled “Dodge truck dash cracks”

Bought it used
By chris on 07/12/09 04:02 AM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I'm not sure what to say other then get a warranty. I bought my Ram used and have had nothing but problems with it. I'm not sure if it was abused before me but is surley abusing me. I bought it with 47,000 miles and have replaced the motor, rear end, radiator, and now have to replace the AC condenser fan and a control module. The check engine light is on more then off. Love the truck but it is getting pricey to keep and the warranty which covers very little is almost up.

Best I've owned
By Ram3rdGen on 06/03/09 15:21 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

My wife wrecked my front end when she took out most of a guard rail in Kodiak, AK. Without anywhere decent to fix the truck, we were left with waiting until I got transferred to another station to get it fixed. We drove it for a year and even from Alaska to Michigan with the damage and it still performed like a champ. 4600 dollars worth of damage and it still ran beautifully. I have yet to have a single issue with it still today after having it fixed. 4x4 works splendidly, but it does shutter a little bit when accelerating to highway speeds. One of my only complaints. All in all, I would definately purchase another dodge based on this one's reliability.

Great Truck
By Philly Rich on 05/11/09 20:49 PM (PDT)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

I purchased my RAM with 123,000 miles in May 2006 to use it as a workhorse at my first job in residential construction. Lost the job, but kept the truck - and what a great decision it was! This was my first American car (after a honda and a BMW) and I loved the utility. Lots of storage in the cab, great towing power, and the previous owner put a single-pipe flowmaster on it (and it sounded mean). Towed a 4,000lb boat no problem with a full bed of cargo. True workhorse! Only non-wearable part I ever had to replace was the radiator (and it was DEFINITELY a do-it- yourself job). Keep the fluids changed and this truck will treat you well!

Anybody need a good truck?
By MG on 12/12/08 08:55 AM (PST)

2002 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (4.7L 8cyl 5M)

In the first 10K miles: transmission failure, drive shaft out of balance, bad brake rotors. The 4.7 is underpowered, a gas hog, the ride is rough. So, it sits in the garage a lot, only 40K miles. Looks like brand new. Oh, and my 2003 Town and Country is worse. Any wonder that the US car companies are in trouble?