Used 2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

Most Helpful|
Great truck!!
By Orrin

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

I have had no problems with this truck of any kind. Owned it for two years. The interior is really comfortable for long drives. Fits both car seats in the back and tows anything I put on the back of it. Of course mileage is bad but most trucks do not get good mileage. If you want good mileage go buy a Metro and park the truck. My truck has the 5.2L.

Favorite Features

Reliability is outstanding. Roomy interior is great. Easy to work on.

Suggested Improvements

Everyone would like great gas mileage but then all the power for towing would go away. The improvement I would make is the ability to view traffic on my left over my shoulder. The A-arm pillars are rather large and bulky. Traffic can be hard to see around cab structure at times.

is this what a dodge is?
By Dodge?

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

my wife loved the looks and sound, but I found the 5.2l underpowered and the trans a joke. one of the most comfortable trucks on the road, but it labored badly with just my 16 ft boat at 60mph. my 02 Chevy doesn't know it's there with the 4.8l

Favorite Features

comfort looks sound

Suggested Improvements

more power for mpgs if it gets 15 mpg empty I want 0-60 in 6.8 sec not 9.8 trans durability two failures in 30,000 mi.

Buyer beware
By JLH

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 4WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

I post this review mainly to warn anyone thinking of purchasing a used 1994-2001 Ram 1500 4x4. Purchased new in 08/01. The first sign of things to come was when a stranger approached me and started a conversation with "So, have you ever had any trouble with your transmission?" The list of problems are water pump(bearing), transmission(rebuild at 70k and 95k after all req. service and no off road and towing 2x), "death wobble" (very nasty, do internet search), int. map light, and "Humpty Dumpty" dash. I call it that 'cause Dodge couldn't or wouldn't put it together again. Some of these complaints are highly reported on the internet. It is my first and last Dodge.

Favorite Features

Very comfortable seating with bench and fold down console, excellent factory paint (silver), liked the control layout and dash visibility, never an engine problem with the 5.9L. Ride height offered excellent visibility. Roomy interior with sufficient rear seating when needed.

Suggested Improvements

Transmission reliability, replace defective dashes that are the result of poor quality materials or a design quirk, straight axle with lightweight steering stabilizer helps produce "death wobble", gas mileage was worse than expected, definitely worse Chevy or Ford. Stand behind your products.

Great dependable ride
By charles

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD LB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

The V8 is peppy,handling good. Turning radius could be better. Dependable, access to bed and cab good, under hood items easy to see/access. Dual exhaust sounds great, fuel mileage better w/duals. My wife loves this truck and says it is easy for her to operate, she's 5ft tall. Good truck.

Favorite Features

Tilt wheel, cruise and all, sound system good. Comfortable, big seats with fold down center arm rest. nice. My grand daughters love the room in back, nice for ext. cab truck. It has add on flat cover. This is a great option.

Suggested Improvements

Free replacement top dash and better plating on Grill. My dash was toast when I bought it. Heat has just destroyed the top dash. I bought a made for carpet cover. The chrome plate on the grill is all rippled. Tconverter went out, $1100 and just had to replace water pump $300. Overall a great truck.

LOVE LOVE LOVE MY DODGE RAM!!!
By lovinbeinamom

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Quad Cab 4dr Quad Cab ST 2WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

My husband purchased this truck for me in 2002 as an anniversary present, it is the best gift he has ever purchased for me! It is now 2014 and I now have 220,000 + miles on it. It is by far the best vehicle we have ever owned! The v8 has plenty of power, fun to drive, reliable, roomy and comfortable. We replaced the transmission at about 120,000 and have put a radiator on it but that is it. Great truck! I can not say enough good things about it. I truly love my truck! It has kept me safe when was hit in the side on 3 different occasions and then on the 4th when a drunk driver hit me. I feel safe it this truck. I praise God 1st and foremost but I am thankful for the quality the truck

Favorite Features

The v8 motor is great with plenty of power. I also love the spacious cab.

Suggested Improvements

Nothing, I love the truck the way it is.