2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:
Definitely a decent truck
By cdizzie on 04/27/11 06:48 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I had my 01 RAM passed down to me a few years ago when my grandfather had gotten the new 2010 F150. It was a great truck and has been through a lot over the years. However it also had over $2000 of work done to it to keep it running. Rebuilt transmission, replaced rotors, brakes, tires, all kinds of pumps and wire, plus all kinds of stuff I can't even remember. But nothing you wouldn't expect from a Dodge truck, especially at 10 years old. All-in-all, it was a good truck, and really sturdy. The V6 Magnum wasn't too powerful, but it lasted the life of the truck and still pushes to this day, at 140,000 miles. If only the fuel economy didn't suck.

Truck minded
By tdb on 11/07/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD LB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

116,000 miles. Great truck. Work, hunting, fishing. Etc. Great interior, lots of room. Dash problems? No. The 5.2 lacks some power on highway (5 spd manual) lot of shifting especially in hills (mountains). Overall great truck, plan on owning another (diesel)

I love this truck
By John H on 09/26/10 00:00 AM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

I bought mine used 3 years ago with 70k, now she has 90k. I've had to replace the power steering pump and rear bumper -- rust is an issue with these trucks. Other than that, she starts up and runs like a charm. I have a 7.5' Western plow and she plows like a champ.

Fun to drive
By travelin man on 01/18/10 19:17 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab WS 2WD LB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This little truck with its 318 is fun.Can roast the tires anytime I feel like it. I don't have a hitch yet, so I don't know the mpg on towing or its performance.No problem getting up to hwy speed, great response. It's the first truck that I've had since an old chevy that brings a smile to my face.It also performs well in minor off road situations(it is only a 2wd), don't get too deep in the mud.Interior comfy,love the floorboards(easy to clean),good sound system and an overall good running truck.I bought it used about a year and a half ago with 140k on it,only had to replace a water pump.

love this truck
By chaseprusia on 03/24/09 16:55 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab WS 2WD LB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

great truck pull alot with it on the farm around 15 mpg out of big v8 not bad

01 Ram 1500 off road SB/4WD
By JDW on 12/23/08 13:00 PM (PST)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

Bought this new great truck plenty of power. I plow snow haul heavy trailers, use it off road etc. Expect a very choppy ride for a straight axle SB/4WD. Put 600-800 lbs in the back and it rides far better, everything is a compromise. Few expensive repairs, I maintain myself, did a W/P at 65K Brakes at 60K front axle seals. Never a transmission problem, maybe because I service it.

Dash Crackin Good
By Michael C on 04/28/08 13:37 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

Only brand new vehicle ever bought. Like the looks, power, and feel. Gas mileage was disappointing. 13-19 advertised, most I ever got on a long trip has been 15. Most of the time it's 12-14. Water pumps went out, and transmission will not shift into first on its own. Someone that didn't pay attention would have probably burnt the transmission up by now. Shifts fine by manually shifting the automatic transmission. 71,000 miles and dash board has craters in it.

Solid Truck
By Finzphan on 07/07/07 14:01 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD LB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

I bought this truck with only 35K on it for work usage and put over 35K on it in about 16 months with no problem at all. Have a company truck now, so the Dodge doesn't get much usage now, but it's been on a few out of town trips and has been a very good truck.

Old Reliable
By Bryan on 05/09/06 18:06 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 4WD SB (5.2L 8cyl 5M)

I traded my 1992 Ford F150 4WD for the Ram -it had only 19,000 miles on it - in '03 and have never regretted it for a second. I can't tell you how many colorful metaphors I had for Ford's annoying design issues (too numerous to mention here). My Dodge, however has never let me down. I had a minor electrical problem after about a year and a half due to faulty plug wires, but since putting good ones in I have no complaints. I highly reccommend a Dodge Ram to anyone who depends on it for his/her business.

Slow but steady
By bump on 07/29/05 12:52 PM (PDT)

2001 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Regular Cab 2dr Regular Cab ST 2WD SB (3.9L 6cyl 5M)

This is a decent truck. It's great for a kid's first vehicle because it doesn't have much get-up-and-go power. It's a fairly slow vehicle that is good if you are just hauling lumber or a 4-wheeler around. It won't work if you want to pull a load of any real size or jump out into traffic without endangering yourself. Given the choice, I wouldn't buy another Dodge with a V-6. Chevy's V-6 is a fairly strong engine, but Dodge failed miserably in that dept.