Used 2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Consumer Reviews | Edmunds

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

2000 Ram 1500 Review
By Wade W.

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 2dr Regular Cab 4WD SB

Great truck to own. It's seven years old and only had to replace the transmission. After transmission replacement, it's been awesome!

Favorite Features

Power, comfort, style, attention!

Suggested Improvements

Fuel mileage

Gas guzzling mechanics friend
By Tim

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 2dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I purchased my Dodge used with over 100k miles on it. Shortly after purchase I found the truck was plagued with mechanical problems. Since I bought the truck I've put a mere 12,000 miles on it. Two transmissions, two sets of ball joints, a steering box, a fuel pump, and an AC compressor later I wish I'd spent a little more money on the competition.

Favorite Features

With its stiff suspension, solid front axle and healthy motor, my Dodge seems to outwork the competition, provided it's not sitting at a garage.

Suggested Improvements

The only improvement I could suggest is to make the truck more reliable after it's slightly used.

Love My Truck
By Berlyn

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

I come from a long line of Chevy owners, but after searching for just the right truck for myself I fell in love with the Dodge Ram. I have driven plenty of Chevy's but for comfort you can't beat the Ram. I live in So. Cal. and the freeways are more like parking lots, but for a truck I still get great gas mileage (better than my friends 04 Avalanche).

Favorite Features

Comfortable interior, great body styling

Suggested Improvements

Tighter steering

MPG only real fault with Dodge truck
By david

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

I love my truck. It has power to spare from the 5.9L V-8, pulls our 4 horse trailer well, and rides nicer than my brothers new Chevy 1500 HD with bells n whistles out the ying yang ( i just dont like how his rides, really, bounces the hell out of you, very glitchy gas pedal). MPG is the only really bad pt on this truck. It lags way behind other comparable trucks. 13- 15mpg is about it, and that doesnt seem to change too much towing loads, drops to 10-13 or so. Other than that, I love my truck. It is reliable, drives nice, comfortable, lots of room, and nice layout. Would still by Dodge truck again, despite bad MPG, if I could leave fuel costs out of picture.

Favorite Features

Cruise control. simple to use, nice placement. Nice sound system. Good 4wd set up, easy to engage. Power split bench seat I like over a bucket in other trucks. Outside design is best in business.

Suggested Improvements

Get mpg up with other trucks of same size and power. it really is a sore point that it is not just a little poor, it sucks gas as if it were a 3500 series truck, and it isnt.

A fine truck, but has a drinking problem
By mre_boise

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

Bought the truck used from dealer with 21K on the clock over 3 years ago. It has given excellent service. It gives a decent ride, has very good power, is quite maneuverable for its size, and has all of the creature comforts (my wife loves the heated seats). It pulls our 19' camper trailer with little strain. Upkeep and maintenance has been very reasonable - BUT - Gas mileage is horrible! Best I've ever gotten with it is 14.1 on a long, fairly flat trip. Driving back and forth to work, I get about 10.5. Towing the trailer (no faster than 60 mph) I get 8.7 mpg. Next truck I get HAS to get better mileage. I hope that Dodge can fill the bill, 'cause I've been a Mopar fan for 35+ years!

Favorite Features

Comfortable Cab, appearance, driveability.

Suggested Improvements

Gas mileage, Gas mileage, Gas mileage! A little more room for passengers in the back seat (extended cab).