Used 2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab Consumer Reviews - 27 Car Reviews | Edmunds

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab - Consumer Reviews

View reviews for a specific Ram Pickup 1500 model:

LOVE My Truck
By berlyn

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab SLT 2dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my 2000 Dodge SLT Laramie 4x2 used with 81,000 miles on it.
I am the third owner and I LOVE my truck.
It has enough power to pull the horse trailer and enough room for my family to take trips in it comfortably.
Just note, you can not put 4 “tall” people in this truck comfortably.
It works great for us because we have two family members over 5’7” and two under 5’7”.
It has been my daily driver for the last six years and other than the horrible gas mileage of the 5.9 liter V8, I really can’t complain.
No major mechanical issues and it wears tires very well.
It’s starting to get that “old car” disease, where it’s needing maintenance due to age.
I’ve replaced the belts, the tens

Good workhorse
By rob9512

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD LB

Mine is a 5.9L Auto/4x4, but that wasn't an option. Overall this truck has done its duty without any major issues. My dad bought it brand new and i bought it off him 3 years ago. Took good care of it but worked it hard too. They are good for what they are if taken care of. Even with the 5.9L it is underpowered vs newer trucks but we have towed all the way up to max capacity without issue. Gas mileage is atrocious but what do you expect? With 141k miles the only "major" issue is the evaporator went out a few years ago so the air doesnt work, and its an expensive repair. People don't seem to treat them right, but if you do find one that has been taken care of, you can't beat them for the price

4x4, torque, large center console

More horsepower, down low torque is great but it needs more horsepower for freeway speeds, especially when towing passing/lane changing power isn't there. More refined interior, better gas mileage. Also the gearing, 3.55's are not a good ratio for this truck. 3.92's or so would be about perfect. All of this was addressed in the next generation.

Awesome Truck!
By rjr6952

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab 4WD SB

It's easy to say this is THE best truck ive ever driven. I'm at almost 123,000 miles and there has been no major fixes on the truck. The only things i've had to replace is the power steering pump and the brake cylinder. Only bad parts about it are the gas mileage (about 12 for me) and the fact that the paint doesn't hold up in the desert!

5.9L V8 is great for towing, Great look on inside and outside of the truck, very comfortable in front seats for myself, being 6'3 and 250 pounds that says a lot.

Better quality paint, a little better air flow to engine for better gas mileage.

Miserable Experience
By ShoNuff

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab SLT 4dr Extended Cab SB

Purchase this truck used. While test driving it my wife accidentally broke the overhead console glasses holder. This was a harbinger of things to come but unfortunately I didn't pay attention as the price was very good and it only had 60K miles on it. Soon after almost every plastic interior piece had broken. The dash completely caved in, the wing down cup holder collapsed, the glove box light bracket snapped causing the light to stay on and the battery to drain. Mechanically, I replaced the driver side window power crank, water pump, power steering pump, radiator, A/C condensate drain and heater core. It doesn't have 100K miles on it yet. While Dodges have great design reliability lack

Overall design and roomy interior

Better build and material quality! Better gas mileage and more power in the 318 CID.

Reliable over long haul
By Mark

2000 Dodge Ram Pickup 1500 Extended Cab ST 4dr Extended Cab SB

I bought my truck new 10 years ago and have drove 176,000 miles. Overall a good quality truck. I replaced the transmission at 120,000 miles but no other big ticket repairs. It has been a good truck but has always sucked a lot of gas through the 5.9 l engine (about 14mpg).

durable interior. Strong body.

Improve responsiveness of engine and increase mileage.